Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Purchasing extra PQM/EQMs on United via Elite Maximizer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchasing extra PQM/EQMs on United via Elite Maximizer

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by keisari:18141519
This is confusing.
Some of you are using cents per mile while others are using dollars per mile but calling it cpm anyway.
Please standardize your measurements.

The correct term is 3 or 4 or 12.5 cpm (cents per mile)

saying .03 or .04 or .125 would be correct if you say dpm (dollars per mile)

I apologize if I offended anybody
It is not my intention.
Are you serious?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:14 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
25 page discussion of buying EQMs on PMCO here

EmaiKid
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
UA realized that prices were too high and nobody was biting. They just lowered it to 2.5c/RDM and 10c/PQM. Still high, but at least not as outrageous...
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
At 2cpm, I will always take the extra RDM offers. At 2.5cpm never.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:19 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 5khours
At 2cpm, I will always take the extra RDM offers. At 2.5cpm never.
My offers have fallen to 2cpm now for RDM, so you may be in luck!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:39 pm

2cpm is a good deal if you're going to use the miles for premium international travel.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 8:44 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
2cpm is a good deal if you're going to use the miles for premium international travel.
And that's just about all I use mine for... that and UC membership. I suppose if UDUs effectively go the way of the dodo, I'll have to use a few more RDM for domestic upgrades .
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Silver
All of my RDM and PQM's were different this morning - as others have mentioned, down from 13 cpm to between 12.5 and 12.8 cpm for both. However, the other difference was for my overseas trips, before they were simply offering 7,500 miles, and now they have adjusted to double or triple the miles. Interesting...but I still won't bite yet. Way too expensive when I don't know my travel plans for the year - might not need these. I'll still check almost daily though!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Originally Posted by Photonerd71
Are you serious?
Oh I'm sure he's 100% serious - and I totally agree with him. The issues that can come up when people confuse dollars and cents are well documented - here with a short corollary here, for starters.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
My offers have fallen to 2cpm now for RDM, so you may be in luck!
Mine have also all fallen to 2 & 10 cpm. the PQMs are 10cpm more (for a total of 12cpm).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
My offers have now fallen to 9.6 cents TOTAL (RDM AND PQM added together) on an int'l partner award; 10.1 cents on a partner revenue short-haul intra-Europe; and 10.5 cents on a UA-only domestic one-way.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
How do I buy these PQM? Do I need to do it in conjunction with a ticket purchase only? Thanks

EDIT. Wow. I just figured this out for myself (buy award accelerator and select option for premier accelerator). In one case my trip IAD-SFO I can get 10k EQM for 250 buck and (apparently 10k EQM for 1k). It's an interesting option and it seems like a win-win. It's like paying for a mile-run without having to actually take the time and effort to do the flight. UA gets the benefit of being able to sell the seat to someone else. Frankly it seems like a smart business move.

Last edited by DCEsquire; Aug 21, 2012 at 6:19 pm Reason: updated
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
EDIT. Wow. I just figured this out for myself (buy award accelerator and select option for premier accelerator). In one case my trip IAD-SFO I can get 10k EQM for 250 buck and (apparently 10k EQM for 1k). ...
very doubtful 10K EQM for $250 --- mostly likely that was 10K RDMs for $250 (RDMs for 2.5cpm). The second additional "10k EQM for 1k" appears more normal (additional 10 cpm for PQMs)
Old Aug 21, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
very doubtful 10K EQM for $250 --- mostly likely that was 10K RDMs for $250 (RDMs for 2.5cpm). The second additional "10k EQM for 1k" appears more normal (additional 10 cpm for PQMs)
Sorry my bad. Yes 10k RDM for 250 and 10k EQM for the 1k.

I would be interested in what the "hive mind" thinks but I am struggling with two contrasting thoughts.

(1) It's great that I could pay 2k for what would save me 4 RT trips to SFO for status purposes. I get the EQM/PQM and UA gets my $ and gets to sell a seat. Ok, win-win.

(2) Unfortunately 1k isn't what it used to be so just getting gold or 75k might be sufficient negating my desire to fly more or pay for the Premier Accelerator.

I'm leaning toward 2 but am early in my thought process.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:08 pm

I need an additional 7,000 PQM and am not interested in a mileage run. I was hoping to purchase a ticket, buy the miles with Premier Accelerator, and cancel the ticket within 24 hours. I assume this strategy will work, that even though I cancel the ticket I keep the purchased PQM?

I already have one purchased itinerary, Dulles to London, but the "additional miles" for sale are 20,000 or 30,000. I'm not interested in buying that many extra miles when I only need 7000.

I can't see how many additional miles will be available for purchase until after purchasing a ticket. Thus, any strategies out there to help me select the best ticket to purchase that will offer me the needed 7000 extra PQM for purchase at the least cost? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.