Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
8/8/14 Here's the "fine print" regarding those who have received a bonus from this product in the past:

I understand that any new cardmember bonus offers for this product are not available to either current or previous cardmembers of this product who received a new cardmember bonus for this product in the last 24 months.
I understand that the terms of my account, including the APRs, are subject to change. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the Cardmember Agreement.

If you received the bonus >24 months ago you are eligible to apply. Doesn't matter when you closed the card.

Major Benefits (post-June 2018)
  • Free first checked a bag - The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation will each receive their first standard checked bag free on United-operated flights when the primary Cardmember includes their MileagePlus number in their reservation and purchases their tickets from United with their United MileagePlus Explorer Card. For complete details, please visit united.com/chasebag .
  • Priority boarding - Primary Cardmembers and their companions on the same reservation will be invited to board United-operated flights prior to general boarding. (BG2)
  • No fees on foreign transactions
  • 2 United ClubSM passes each year for your travel
  • Access to XN expanded Economy Saver award inventory (not a published benefit)
  • Chip-enabled Card provides added security
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent on tickets purchased from United.
  • Earn 2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels (NEW)
  • Earn 1 mile per $1 spent - You'll earn 1 mile for each $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • Miles don't expire as long as your credit card account remains open - Your miles don't expire as long as you are a Cardmember, with no limit to the number of miles you can earn. UA miles not longer expire
  • Any seat, any time, on United-operated flights - Primary Cardmembers can use their miles to book any available seat, any time, on United-operated flights when they redeem
  • CPU award ticket eligibility for primary cardholder (only) if MP elite
  • Carryon bag allowed with Boarding Group 2 even if Basic Economy ticket
  • 25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights (NEW)
  • Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years. (NEW)

Cuts as of June 2018Purchase Price Protection - removed
Return Protection - removed
Trip Cancellation/Trip Interruption Insurance - reduced

10,000 bonus miles for $25K spend will no longer be available after May 31, 2018.Those who spend $10,000-$24,999 by May 31 will receive 4,000 bonus miles this year only.

New benefits2 miles per $1 spent at restaurants and hotels
25% statement credit "rebate" on purchases of food, beverages, and wifi on United-operated flights
Global Entry / Pre-application statement credit rebate up to $100 once every four years.
Print Wikipost

Chase MP Explorer Card (Q&A, Benefits, Bonuses, Discussion, ....)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: Hilton: DIA, SPG: Gold, WN: CP, UA: Silver, Marriott: Platinum
Originally Posted by milemonkey
My wife just received an offer for the Explorer Card. It offers up to 65,000 RDMs and no annual fee for the first year. The first 50,000 are given after $1000 in spending. That is all we are interested in. If we cancel after receipt getting the 50,000 will we be able to keep those miles?
Do you think this was a targeted offer? I'd like to get the 65K also. Can you send me a link or offer #? Thanks
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: SK*G, QR*G
Originally Posted by oregondiver
Yes it did. grr! I ran up to British Columbia last month and reviewed my bill yesterday. Was charged 4 transaction fees. We called on the phone before I left and they said (which is contrary to their printed info) that if the charge is run through in US currency (regardless if we were international) then no transaction fee. I was paying in CAD so I don't know if that is true or not.
seems like the BA (chase) card still doesn't have a foreign currency fee.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:18 pm

I've been hanging onto the Visa Signature for the 5k annual bonus, 3X United Bonus and 2X gas, grocery, home improvement bonus. Those bonuses net me about 17k bonus miles a year above the $1/mile earnings.

I've only gotten the 40k Explorer upgrade offer recently - which to me, will only be a 25k bonus offer (no other authorized user, and I likely won't spend $25k a year).

I know the Visa Signature won't be around forever, and my card expires next year. Should I upgrade now? Will there be some point when I'm just involuntarily upgraded without bonus miles? Should I hold out for a better offer? 25k miles now would be nice, but I'd rather just have the Signature for another 3 years, if that's possible, because that would net me quite a bit more miles than having Explorer for the next 3 years. As far as I can tell, the other Explorer benefits are pretty irrelevant, and don't make up for that mileage gap.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:28 am

I was targeted for the 65K offer. Any speculation on whether it will be repeated? The 55K (won't meet the annual spending for the last 10) will help for a trip to Europe I expect to take in 2014; I'm not sure if I'll fly UA in the fee-free year and be able to use the perks for flying. I'll probably go ahead and get the card now, while the offer is clearly there; just putting the question out.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:27 am

Approved for United Explorer Card

I signed up for the United Explorer Card(Much better than the old Visa Card with $75 fee). I find its worth it to try it out four a year and see how it works.

I see the potential benefits such as 2 United Annual Club Passes Worth $100 so essentially you pay for 2 passes and get the card benefits after the first year. Whats generous of United is they offer the 2 passes upon signup and I can use it on an upcoming trip from LAX-Maui. So for $95 its better than the Delta Card that did not offer 2 passes for their club.

Furthermore the First bag checked free for up to 2 on the itinerary for my Grandfather and I =$100 for 2 bags both ways. So even if I flew United once a year with my Father essentially I will save the checked bag fee which equals the cost of the card+day passes. I would rather pay once to have the first checked bag.

The Priority Boarding is nice so we don't have to wait in line to board and the bins are open. This already pays for itself(:

Whats your take on the card?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, AA Plat Pro, DL Gold, UA*S, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
You seem so excited about this card. I hate to respond negatively.

The fringe benefits—specifically the free bags and priority boarding—are great if you don't have Star Alliance status and fly United a lot, but if you fly United a lot, you should really look into getting Star Alliance status. On the flip side, the fact that you can now buy priority boarding through the Explorer card annual fee seriously downgrades the value of UA*S.

I don't know that I'd ever pay $50 per visit for the United Club, especially considering how pathetic their offering is inside the US; the only nice club stateside is that one in ORD, and I'm pretty sure the only reason that one's so great is because Lufthansa, whose gates are right next to that club, wanted something a little closer to LH's own (still not-that-great) business lounges for their passengers than UA's truly lackluster domestic offering. Delta may be stingier with day passes, but at least once you're in they offer a full bar for free, and if you have a Delta AmEx, you can buy day passes at the club whenever you want for $25, which is really what they're worth. (Of course, before the Delta AmEx benefit, they used to be $25 for anyone. ) Even better, for $90 on Delta, you can buy a 30-day membership which lets you take in two guests and use a bunch of partner lounges, too.

The primary reason I'd get a card is to earn miles: first and foremost for the signup bonus, then for ongoing earning and annual promotions. I used to have the UMP Select Visa, which I got with a 50k signup bonus and which gave an extra 5k each anniversary. No free bags with it or really any other fringe benefits, but I was happy with the miles.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by mwolson
I've been hanging onto the Visa Signature for the 5k annual bonus, 3X United Bonus and 2X gas, grocery, home improvement bonus. Those bonuses net me about 17k bonus miles a year above the $1/mile earnings.

I've only gotten the 40k Explorer upgrade offer recently - which to me, will only be a 25k bonus offer (no other authorized user, and I likely won't spend $25k a year).

I know the Visa Signature won't be around forever, and my card expires next year. Should I upgrade now? Will there be some point when I'm just involuntarily upgraded without bonus miles? Should I hold out for a better offer? 25k miles now would be nice, but I'd rather just have the Signature for another 3 years, if that's possible, because that would net me quite a bit more miles than having Explorer for the next 3 years. As far as I can tell, the other Explorer benefits are pretty irrelevant, and don't make up for that mileage gap.
I am in the same situation. Love my UA Visa Signature and I've had it for about 3 years now. I'd rather apply for the Explorer and get the bonus miles than to have the Visa Signature automatically upgrade to the Explorer product.

Has anyone recently (say the last 6 months) applied for UA Explorer while being existing UA Mileageplus Visa Signature holders? Did you get the points notwithstanding the card's T&C regarding "first time" mileageplus visa users?

Many thanks. I love this forum!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 4:12 am

Has anyone recently (say the last 6 months) applied for UA Explorer while being existing UA Mileageplus Visa Signature holders? Did you get the points notwithstanding the card's T&C regarding "first time" mileageplus visa users?
I'm kind of in the same situation. I've had the Signature card since 2006 (I think I got it then) and have been able to use the 5K elite miles each year. Except for this year. I won't fly enough to make even Silver and so am considering the Explorer card so I can get at least a small jump on general boarding. I talked to the people a Chase/Mileage Plus and they say they can switch me to the Explorer card with just a phone call, but now I am thinking about applying for the Explorer card and also hang onto the Signature card in case my traveling picks up again next year. Not sure what they will do or give me if I do hang onto both cards.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 9:01 pm

Can you have both cards?

Hey guys I really want to know the answer to this if anyone has it - no one replied last time I posted : Does anyone know if you can have both the old Chase Visa and the new Explorer? I like the award upgrades, but don't want to give up the EQM option with the old card.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:19 pm

I'll have someone with a second card on my account. If she flies on a trip booked with the card, and I'm not on the same trip, does she get to check a bag for free? I'm thinking not, but I'd like to make sure.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, TrueBlue, IHG Plat Amb, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gharapet
Hey guys I really want to know the answer to this if anyone has it - no one replied last time I posted : Does anyone know if you can have both the old Chase Visa and the new Explorer? I like the award upgrades, but don't want to give up the EQM option with the old card.
The Chase Select Signature with 3x miles purchases for UA; up to 5k EQM purchases on UA.com; 5k RDM annual anniversary, etc. etc. is grandfathered in and will not expire regardless of your expiration date on the card! This for a fact will not convert to the Explorer.

I have four UA cards and many others have two or three: UA Platinum Class Signature Visa (circa 2002); UA Select Signature; CO OnePass Plus (which DID convert to MileagePlus Explorer and I am cancelling this week to avoid the fee) and the UA Club Card; Got signup bonuses on all except the Club (first year fee waived and will cancel next July). Worst case you'll have to call Chase to redistribute some credit from one card to another.

Last edited by Sterndogg; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:55 pm
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by rove312
I'll have someone with a second card on my account. If she flies on a trip booked with the card, and I'm not on the same trip, does she get to check a bag for free? I'm thinking not, but I'd like to make sure.
You are correct that she will not get to check a bag for free if you are not on the same PNR. Authorized users do not get the benefits. All of the benefits are tied to your United Mileage Plus Number which means the other traveler would have to be on your PNR to receive benefits.

The flip side of this as many have reported is you need not use the MP Explorer Card to get the benefits. I have the United Club Card as well and prefer to use that for all purchases even though they both get 2x miles per $ on UA.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 3:51 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by tedbaxter

Many thanks. I love this forum!
I applied in Feb this year for the Explorer card, as an existing holder of the older MP Visa card. No problems getting approved and receiving the 50K sign-up bonus.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Sterndogg
The Chase Select Signature with 3x miles purchases for UA; up to 5k EQM purchases on UA.com; 5k RDM annual anniversary, etc. etc. is grandfathered in and will not expire regardless of your expiration date on the card! This for a fact will not convert to the Explorer.

I have four UA cards and many others have two or three: UA Platinum Class Signature Visa (circa 2002); UA Select Signature; CO OnePass Plus (which DID convert to MileagePlus Explorer and I am cancelling this week to avoid the fee) and the UA Club Card; Got signup bonuses on all except the Club (first year fee waived and will cancel next July). Worst case you'll have to call Chase to redistribute some credit from one card to another.
I can confirm both points above. I have an old UA MP Visa, and applied for and received the MP Explorer after calling and having them split the old card's credit line between the two. Received the bonus miles and club passes just fine.

And recently flew separate PNRs for my wife/kids and myself, as I was flying back separately. I tried booking their tickets using the card with my wife's name on it (same account #), while logged in to my account (which is useful anyway, as it means the trip shows up under both my and their accounts), but they were charged for bags. I booked my ticket I booked with her card also because I forgot to change it, and did automatically get the free bag.

So we may need to have her get her own card, as this occurs often. My question is how to file the app -- the stupid new credit laws discriminate badly against women who stay at home by not counting household income, but I believe in community property states like California she can claim the household income anyway; just need to figure out how to do that.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by milemonkey
......If we cancel after receipt getting the 50,000 will we be able to keep those miles?
The offer states: "As long as you are a Cardmember, your miles won't expire."

In the Offer Details: "Your miles will not expire as long as there is activity on your credit card account, including paying your annual membership fee, and the credit card account is open and not in default. Upon cancellation of your credit card account your miles will expire according to the MileagePlus program rules."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.