Community
Wiki Posts
Search

College tour 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

She wants to study chemistry, and those schools are in the top ranked for the UK for chem, but not out of reach with her academic record which is solid but not quite uber-elite quality. She has done pretty extensive research on admissions standards at all of them and feels she has a very good chance at all. University is 4 years here, so we were already prepared to bear that cost. She is also applying to 4 here, so hopefully there will be choices. I'm hoping she eliminates one before the trip.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Be aware that Scottish universities are four years rather than three for English, thus significantly increasing costs.
Am I right in thinking you end up with a Msc or MA though?

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The other question she must consider is why Bath (or York or whatever). Unconvincing answers will be disastrous.
Yes excellent point, that will be almost certainly come up.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:56 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ah, it was chemistry that I studied in York! Highly recommended location for it - and there's a growing Science Park onsite, so the industry links are excellent. This is particularly evident in third year research work - it's great to work on real-world cutting edge research, however small a part it may be.

In Scotland, it's a bit more complicated in that you do Highers (exams) when you are 16/17. So there's a foundation year for Scottish undergraduates. With certain qualifications (e.g. Advanced Highers, A-Levels) you can enter directly into the second year.

Edinburgh, for example, also has specific entry requirements for US qualifications:

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/interna...tes-of-america

but it varies by subject.

(Scotland has many quirks...)
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

She is taking IB Chem Higher Level her senior year, next year, which seems to be the best equivalent course to A-level here. She has poured over the admission standards and feels quite good as the tests she has already taken are well within the range. This upcoming spring is the big testing period and her AP and SAT subject area tests in May will really determine where she applies in the fall.

My biggest worry about goign to the UK is that they have pick the subject area going in. Here you have 1-2 years first and many people change their minds.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
She is taking IB Chem Higher Level her senior year, next year, which seems to be the best equivalent course to A-level here. She has poured over the admission standards and feels quite good as the tests she has already taken are well within the range. This upcoming spring is the big testing period and her AP and SAT subject area tests in May will really determine where she applies in the fall.

My biggest worry about goign to the UK is that they have pick the subject area going in. Here you have 1-2 years first and many people change their minds.
IBs are well know and well respected, in some respects better than A levels (the British equivalent).

I am not sure about all universities but at my alma mater there was little problem swapping your degree course during or at the end of the first year as long as there was some cross over. The degrees were modular so most degrees would have components of other degrees anyway.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Worcester
Am I right in thinking you end up with a Msc or MA though?
I graduated from St Andrews 5 years ago so can offer a little insight. The Ancient Scottish universities (St Andrews, Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow) offer undergraduate MA degrees. I believe the scientists get a BSc.

I read geography (MA) so had both humanities and science exposure. In first year you take 3 subjects, of which one is the subject to which you applied. In second year you narrow it to 2. Only halfway through 2nd year do you finalise. I have friends who applied and were accepted to economics who graduated in languages or history because they found a love for it. In sciences I'm not sure how it works, but the information should be readily available. In my day the University admissions tours were on Wednesdays and the student ambassador tour guides really are excellent, they'll answer all questions.

It's simple to get from Leuchars to St Andrews, the 99 bus has 15 minute frequency, plus a few other services can come first. Don't bother with (I think) the 96 which goes the long way through Strathkinness. I heard of flooding/damage problems on the road recently, and long term roadworks, so check before travelling. Also don't discount the fast Stagecoach buses from Edinburgh, from memory there's not a huge difference in time with the train plus who wouldn't want to see Glenrothes bus station on the way?!

Stut comments on York being a small town...St Andrews will make York seem as busy as Tokyo. But I loved it. There's one nightclub, 3 streets and tremendous history. The student community is really tight-knit, though it's less exotic for Americans - I can't remember the numbers but as Scot I really felt outnumbered by Americans! I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by stut
Other information...

First, a minor point of terminology - 'school' is generally only used to refer to up to 16 years old here. After that, it's 'college' (usually 16-18 these days, but also in some universities) and 'university'.

From my own experience - I studied at York in the 90s. It was a great place to study - extremely friendly city and campus, and a great academic approach that really suited me (very principle-based learning, rather than rote).

If you know the city (Roman and Mediaeval tourist magnet that it is), the university campus may come as something of a shock. Don't be fooled by the photos of Heslington Hall, that's just an admin building - it's a 60s university. The core of it used to consist of prefab concrete buildings around an artifical (duck-heavy) lake, but some of these are being replaced by more modern buildings, including the new 'Campus East' around Heslington.

It's a semi-collegiate university. The colleges are more aligned around accommodation (used to be for only 2 out of 3 years) and facilities than the academic side, hence the 'semi-'. However, this approach gives a good sense of community, particularly at matriculation time.

Accommodation in UK universities tends to be single rooms - shared rooms are pretty rare - with kitchens dotted around and catering available if desired. A lot of them need you to 'live out' for one or more years - or the entire course, if it's non-campus - which means shared accommodation. This varies hugely in quality and price, of course, from the utterly horrendous, to new-build, purpose-build accommodation that is practically the same as on-campus. At the time I was there it was basic and cheap (£30/week!) but with shared bathrooms and IT facilities - these days I'm led to believe it's all en-suite with free wi-fi etc.

Downsides? Well, York is a small, quiet city, which can be frustrating for a teenager. That said, there's an awful lot around, and plenty organisations - a decent sports club, as well as lots of outdoorsy stuff in the wonderful surrounding countryside.
Updating costs as my oldest son is currently doing his first year at university living on campus.
Tuition Fees £9,000 although I believe they are more for foreign students.
Ist year Halls of Residence ( around 38 weeks ) including meals five days per week £6,500.
Then there are his bar bills and cricket club tour ....
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Most of the university's fees for foreign students are about double that for domestic. That means they are more expensive than sending her to University of California but less than a private university in the states. Obviously that's something to take in to consideration.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Prince William studied at St Andrews and it didn't do him any harm did it?

I can't promise that Ms SoCal will find a prince there though!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Prince William studied at St Andrews and it didn't do him any harm did it?

I can't promise that Ms SoCal will find a prince there though!

There are plenty of frogs though...

The other thing about studying this side of the pond is that it is quick and easy to get some travelling done. Interrail tickets are a cheap way to get around Europe by train during the summer, but there are loads of low cost airlines as well, and most EU universities to exchange programs with other Universities in and around Europe.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Worcester
There are plenty of frogs though...
Ah yes the Auld Alliance
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The itinerary sounds reasonable, although given the jet-lag you'll be suffering, prepare for the first day to be quite slow and don't try to cram too much in. I don't suppose you can swing business class on the way out?

I hope you're aware that longer distance train tickets can be very expensive on a walk-up basis in the UK. Try to book ahead if you can.

All the universities you mention are quite sound choices. They have somewhat different character, St Andrews being in a much smaller town than the others. Bath University is on a hill above the town, but it is easy to get into the city. All places are reasonable to live, as far as I know. I have far more knowledge of Bath than the others, having grown up there (but not attended the university).

I do feel it is important to get some idea of how it would be to live in a place, rather than how it is to be a tourist. Perhaps it would be good to plan that VickiSoCalJr (and perhaps one parent for discussion and commentary on what makes a place liveable) looks around residential areas or local services, shopping etc while the other parent goes with the other child and does something touristy. One has to live in a place, not only study in it, or visit it. In particular check out the sort of places that students typically live in, and try to ask students who have been there a year or two what it is like.

Bath is pretty good to be a student in, overall. Downsides: bit more expensive than some places, somewhat tourist-infested in summer months, limited future employment potential in the city after graduation. Upsides: nice campus, overall nice city with reasonable amenities, good transport links to the rest of the country, fairly lively student entertainment scene in the city, beautiful city close to countryside (you can be in forested woodland walking half an hour from the campus, for example, or in Bristol by bus/train in an hour, London in 4 hours).

Frankly most of this goes for all the places you mention, I feel.

I will note that the weather in Scotland, and Northern England, is harsher than in Bath. If she will be miserable in colder weather, prefer Bath. November will give a good taste of the worse side of the climate in each location.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:35 am

Why not just do a study abroad program rather than apply to one of the universities in the UK? She could do a semester or a 1 year program and as long as it's approved by the US college she attends, the courses/credits will count toward graduation.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We scored biz class upgrades/milesaavers both ways. So we should be in good shape with regard to jet lag, although LA to UK is rough.

She really wants the full blown overseas experience, or says she does now. We'll see.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
We scored biz class upgrades/milesaavers both ways. So we should be in good shape with regard to jet lag, although LA to UK is rough.

She really wants the full blown overseas experience, or says she does now. We'll see.
Excellent, you'll have a great journey in J in the 77W. Try for the mini-cabin at the front of the aircraft (rows 3-4) and don't forget about the AA arrivals lounge for a shower and additional breakfast.

I think going for the overseas study experience is a fine plan. Good luck for your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.