Community
Wiki Posts
Search

College tour 2016

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Durham has the great advantage of being 3 years rather than four, but I know many of my daughter's friends who were at Edinburgh and absolutely loved it. It's also much easier to get to and from.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I want to thank the many people who participated on this thread and also those that reached out to me privately. I heard from alumni and parents of every university she applied to as well as people living nearby with offers of assistance and advice.

The FT community is amazing.

After reviewing all her options in the US and UK the kid has decided she will be attending St. Andrews in the fall. She will try to avoid boys in plaid pants and red jackets. :-) Actually she initially was put off when she joined a general FB group for St. A offer holders but then she joined a spin off group of math/chem/physics students and let's just say she has found her tribe.

Thank you again!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:36 pm

Congrats! That's so exciting, so happy for her.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Excellent, the best choice! And if by red jackets you mean academic gowns, well they're just a must! I hope she's looking forward to the ceilidhs at the hall balls already.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

LOL I mixed up pants and jackets. Post 41

"If she is the sort of person who thinks teenagers in tweed jackets and red trousers are likely to be loud, obnoxious, pretentious arseholes, she might not enjoy it!"

She's already met a couple of those types. We discussed the fact that with 8000 students she won't like some of them, at any university!

She is planning on recycling her prom dresses for sure. She loves to get dressed up.

Mom is wondering how many suitcases we will end up with. Thank goodness for husband's EXP status.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:22 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
After reviewing all her options in the US and UK the kid has decided she will be attending St. Andrews in the fall. She will try to avoid boys in plaid pants and red jackets. :-)
Congratulations!

There's nothing wrong with tweed- I'm partial to a tweed blazer- but definitely avoid the red chinos :lol:
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Your daughter may already know this, but in the UK pants are not trousers. Pants are what is worn under one's trousers. And if anyone offers to knock her up, she need not panic!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
And if anyone offers to knock her up, she need not panic!
Huh?! She probably should panic - or at the very least walk away - if a guy offers to knock her up!

What does it mean in the US?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Huh?! She probably should panic - or at the very least walk away - if a guy offers to knock her up!

What does it mean in the US?
In the US, to get someone pregnant. In the UK, unless things have changed without my being aware of it, to wake somebody up (or otherwise get their attention) by knocking on their door. Since we're talking about the daughter being in Scotland, I don't think that having a man offer to knock her up, in the appropriate context, is a cause for alarm. Or has the US meaning taken over in the UK?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
In the US, to get someone pregnant. In the UK, unless things have changed without my being aware of it, to wake somebody up (or otherwise get their attention) by knocking on their door. Since we're talking about the daughter being in Scotland, I don't think that having a man offer to knock her up, in the appropriate context, is a cause for alarm. Or has the US meaning taken over in the UK?
Well I'm a Londoner in my thirties and I'm pretty sure I've *never* heard it used in the meaning of to wake someone up. May be a Northern/Scotttish thing. Certainly in London, it means to get someone pregnant, although it's very much an out-of-date/misogynist phrase.

Last edited by Ldnn1; Apr 7, 2017 at 4:48 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Well I'm a Londoner in my thirties and I'm pretty sure I've *never* heard it used in the meaning of to wake someone up. May be a Northern/Scotttish thing. Certainly in London, it means to get someone pregnant, although it's very much an out-of-date/mysogynist phrase.
No, it definitely means getting someone pregnant here in Scotland!

I think there is a regional, NW England, version along the lines of waking someone up, but even then it would be full of double entendre these days!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:51 pm

I stand corrected. I'm showing my age, because when I studied at Edinburgh back in the day, it most definitely meant to knock on somebody's door. And I still have occasionally had a B&B host (of advanced age, like me!) up north offer to knock me up in the morning.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well that took an odd turn. There are no plans for an anchor baby or anchor fiancee in the UK at this time. :-)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Well I'm a Londoner in my thirties and I'm pretty sure I've *never* heard it used in the meaning of to wake someone up.
It's a Northern thing, well, a Yorkshire/Lancashire thing I think. I sometimes say it, though less so these days.

It also means "to get pregnant", but you can normally tell which by context

And yes, pants here are [under]pants. And I wouldn't wear tweed underpants
Old May 29, 2022, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I want to thank the many people who participated on this thread and also those that reached out to me privately. I heard from alumni and parents of every university she applied to as well as people living nearby with offers of assistance and advice.

The FT community is amazing.

After reviewing all her options in the US and UK the kid has decided she will be attending St. Andrews in the fall. She will try to avoid boys in plaid pants and red jackets. :-) Actually she initially was put off when she joined a general FB group for St. A offer holders but then she joined a spin off group of math/chem/physics students and let's just say she has found her tribe.

Thank you again!
Four years turned in to five and an MChem with Industrial Placement. Planned trips home every summer turned in to a 12 month absence due to Covid. All along the way so many Flyertalkers offered advice on how to do UK/US taxes, where to get a vaccine, navigating NHS when a health issue arose, the ins and outs of UK job searching and SO much more. I could list all the regulars in this forum who PMed but I am already getting a little weepy. We head out next week for graduation and she is not coming back to California with us. She will be moving on to the 2 year UK graduate visa and has job offers from two pharma companies in the UK and a few more interviews still before making a final decision. Again, I cannot thank you all enough. It has been quite a ride and it seems it is not over yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.