Reload this Page >

College tour 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

College tour 2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
In many ways she's a stereotype of a SoCal girl, varsity swim, volleyball and lifeguard. She'd likely participate in club swim or volleyball if available wherever she goes.
If she's interested in keeping the lifeguarding going for sport+social reasons (as opposed to looking for a part-time job to bring in some extra money), you'll want to check against the list of universities on http://www.bulsca.co.uk/clubs/. That'll show which ones have a lifesaving club that takes part in inter-university competitions. Typically 1 or 2 days over a weekend, generally very sociable, and also gives a chance to see some other universities as you visit them to compete!
Old Nov 1, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by David-A
[Although with the risk of being pedantic, just to avoid any confusion, by "public" I assume you mean a normal school paid for by the government and open to all of the public? - In the UK, the term 'public school' refers to one in public (i.e. private) ownership (and invariably fee paying, etc), rather than a 'state school' - one owned by the government and free. Just in case you get confused about people referencing number people with a 'public school' background - they mean 'private', not 'state'.]
Though watch out in Scotland, as we use public/private as you would expect. So public = state, private = independent. Just to confuse things further!

With regard to volleyball - less popular, due to weather. How popular swimming is at certain universities is often directly linked to how practical it is (swimming pools availability, etc).
Note that St Andrews doesn't have a University-owned pool at all (yet), and from limited memory the East Sands municipal leisure centre isn't really geared up for competitive swimming at all.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by DocWatson
Though watch out in Scotland, as we use public/private as you would expect. So public = state, private = independent. Just to confuse things further!
Hence why it is far safer to stick to 'state' and 'private'. (Especially since 'independent' can be trying to mean some further distinction).

(Also I don't think that language use is universally true in Scotland either these days, seems to have adopted some use from the south, even amongst some people at the ancients).

Note that St Andrews doesn't have a University-owned pool at all (yet), and from limited memory the East Sands municipal leisure centre isn't really geared up for competitive swimming at all.
Edinburgh university I believe has its own pool.
And of course Pollock halls are right next to the commonwealth pool.

Can't remember what Durham has in terms of pools, etc.

I would go to all of them with an open mind however, even if something doesn't have what you think will be a red line issue, things can change when you visit a place. New things can appeal, other things that might have been deal breakers can disappear as issues.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With regard to volleyball - less popular, due to weather. How popular swimming is at certain universities is often directly linked to how practical it is (swimming pools availability, etc).
She is on the indoor/gym volleyball team not beach volleyball. :-)

She researched the times the St. Andrews women swimmers got at the big competition (University games, maybe?) and she's right in the ball park of their better swimmers. She realizes it is very different from NCAA type competition and is looking for something more relaxed. I cannot imagine her not swimming some though, even just for fitness. I don't think she's taken more than a 2 week break from swimming since age 4. She also used to sail with scouts, so may check that out.

First, to get in!
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, BA Pleb
Durham University do their water training at the municipal pool in Durham city centre and their land training at the University's sports complex on the edge of the city.

Durham has a certain reputation for loud-mouthed posh nitwits, but away from certain people in certain colleges you do get a much broader spread of people. I went to Durham University, and ended up working there afterwards, and I'm from a state school in Bradford, one of the poorest cities in England.

But your choice of college at Durham University is pretty important, as they all have a very different ethos to them. Hatfield and University (Castle) tend to be filled with the braying pink-shirt poshos, and St John's and St Chad's are relatively religious, but the more modern colleges tend to be a lot more diverse in backgrounds. I went to St Aidan's but most of my friends went to Trevelyan, which I think is one of the more welcoming colleges.

In terms of sport, Durham will let you go as far as you want to go. There's inter-collegiate sport for those who want some competition but nothing too serious, there's BUCS University-level sport for the more dedicated, and they are accommodating to elite level athletes, although rowing is really the sport that they have the most support for.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:25 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Is Trevelyan the hexagonal one with the Levellers t-shirts?
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Arctic Troll
...rowing is really the sport that they have the most support for.
I think this is likely to be true for many UK schools. I'm sure she hasn't had any opportunity to take up rowing, but she might consider it. It's fantastic exercise and a good way to meet people.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Buster
I think this is likely to be true for many UK schools. I'm sure she hasn't had any opportunity to take up rowing, but she might consider it. It's fantastic exercise and a good way to meet people.
UK schools no. UK universities, yes to a reasonable extent.

(Note that in the UK we go to school then to college then to university - unlike the US, we don't refer to university as "school").
Old Nov 26, 2016, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Our trip is over. We walked around U of Edinburgh on Sunday but did not do an official visit. We peeked in the main student accommodation areas. Monday we all did train/bus to St. A and did the campus info session and tour. Then the kid went off for interview and tour at the Department of Chemistry. She felt it went well. We visited the very, very chilly cathedral ruins while she did that and met back up at the bus station.
Tuesday was a comedy of errors as we checked out of our hotel, walked to train station and promptly had our train to Durham canceled due to flooding.
After a series of trains, we finally made it to the Marriott in Durham several hours after her scheduled appointment. They were very accomodating and she was able to speak with the admissions rep and get a tour later that afternoon. I think Durham has moved up to her first choice and they indicated it was likely she will be accepted. I had a great run on the river which predisposed me to liking the town. We walked to the theatre and saw the latest Harry Potter movie that night and toured the cathedral the next morning. She gave us a mini version of the previous day's tour.
Then off to London by an on time train for 3 days of fun.
She has been accepted to Edinburgh and still waiting on others.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 5:06 am

Sounds like a very successful visit, flooding aside.^

Glad you enjoyed it and best of luck with acceptances / decisions!
Old Nov 26, 2016, 4:17 pm

Trading SoCal for Durham..good luck with that.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Trading SoCal for Durham..good luck with that.
LOL

Well we wanted her to experience the north at its nearly darkest and coldest and she loved it. St. Andrews was foggy and dark with a thick layer of frost on the ground with a -2 C wind blowing.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
LOL

Well we wanted her to experience the north at its nearly darkest and coldest and she loved it. St. Andrews was foggy and dark with a thick layer of frost on the ground with a -2 C wind blowing.
That takes me back...to conditions found from January through to December!
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Now sitting on unconditional offers from St. A and Durham and a conditional from Edinburgh. I welcome any feedback from parents or alumni.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:00 am

They are all good unis. Really it comes down to whether she would prefer city life (Edi), campus life (St A) or college life (Durham). All are quite different, but she will no doubt have a good time whichever she chooses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.