Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Strategies for Renewing E+ Cards Using Discount Economy Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat

The capacity to earn mileage on TK discount economy tickets has declined considerably in the past year as W,P,F,U and V fares now earn only 25% miles. As a result, I have changed considerably my booking pattern and use TK far less.

One change is to use AC and UA to fly to the USA. For example, yesterday I booked on the UA website an itinerary from IST to MIA next April in L class for 434 which yielded 12,851 miles. TK wanted 650 for a flight yielding 25% mileage.

The biggest change I have made is to book LH Premium Economy tickets in advance in N/Y class. If booked a long time in advance, these frequently price out around the same as TK 50% mileage tickets.

My strategy is always to earn 40,000 miles in the first year which then allows the possibility to use redemption business tickets in the second year (using high mileage accrued on credit cards).

Does anyone have even more interesting approaches to copy with the changes in TK mileage accrual?
Old May 18, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), SPG,Priority Pass
If you get a Miles&Smiler credit card you may convert bonus miles to status miles at the rate of 5:1.

Other option is ofcourse to buy status miles up to 10k if you fall short of requalification.

Btw beware that partner airline mileage accrual may depreciate every now and then.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: TK M&S, LH MM, Global Entry, Hertz Gold, Sixt Platinum
Like you, I also booked a flight in Y+ on LH this summer, but it's peak season summer travel and the tickets weren't cheap.

I usually stuck with TK in Q booking class, which gives 100%.

Booked a deep discount economy fare on Ethiopian a while back that also gave me 100%.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Sometimes you're better off just racking up miles quickly with Y+ and J.

Usually I can just fly Canada-East Asia with J for under $3000 USD and it nearly renews my E+.

This year, I scored this deal (check premium fare deal section often, you might find what you need)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/premi...my-510-rt.html

It will accrue 15000 miles for $500 USD (unless SK devalues the P Class accruals before my trip)
Old May 22, 2017, 11:46 am

I'm flying always exEU to CGK, discount economy fares give only 25% ~ 34xx miles and usually cost around 500. In my case, i need 12 RT which will cost around 6000. It's cheaper to fly 2 RT in J and it will cost only around 3000. However, i have to fly exEU to CGK 2x monthly so either way is possible to maintain E+. Just will i do it hard way or easier one.
What i havent discovered so far: how to get cheap fare (<500) with 100% mileage accrual, RT exEU to CGK
Old May 22, 2017, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by kerjaansei
I'm flying always exEU to CGK, discount economy fares give only 25% ~ 34xx miles and usually cost around 500. In my case, i need 12 RT which will cost around 6000. It's cheaper to fly 2 RT in J and it will cost only around 3000. However, i have to fly exEU to CGK 2x monthly so either way is possible to maintain E+. Just will i do it hard way or easier one.
What i havent discovered so far: how to get cheap fare (<500) with 100% mileage accrual, RT exEU to CGK
A EUR 500 RT for that distance is a steal, I don't blame TK for not giving full mileage credit.

Since you are so frequent on that route, it would make sense to buy cheap tickets most of the time and splurge on J tickets every now and then, using the 'saved' cash.

I my case, I usually just go for Q booking class on 10+hr long haul flighs.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by gr8pirate
A EUR 500 RT for that distance is a steal, I don't blame TK for not giving full mileage credit.

Since you are so frequent on that route, it would make sense to buy cheap tickets most of the time and splurge on J tickets every now and then, using the 'saved' cash.

thanks for the insights!
Old May 23, 2017, 2:10 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Originally Posted by kerjaansei
You might want to have a look at what the Q-fare cost on your dates, generally it is a few 100s more. Some examples (incl taxes & fees):

MAD-CGK
W: 539
Q: 901

WAW-CGK
P: 541
Q: 653

HEL-CGK
V: 581
Q: 761
Old May 23, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), DL Gold (MM)
I generally book Q fares on long-haul flights to get that 100%. My problem is that I am usually traveling multi-city itineraries and booking Q usually requires a trip to a TK city ticket office to get that fare bucket to price.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by ovenman
I generally book Q fares on long-haul flights to get that 100%. My problem is that I am usually traveling multi-city itineraries and booking Q usually requires a trip to a TK city ticket office to get that fare bucket to price.
I will be in your situation soon. When booking through a city ticket office, is there any extra charge (like booking over the phone)? It does not really make sense to me that they don't allow us to book through email.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: TK Elite (*G), DL Gold (MM)
Originally Posted by godsquare
I will be in your situation soon. When booking through a city ticket office, is there any extra charge (like booking over the phone)? It does not really make sense to me that they don't allow us to book through email.
It seems like the tickets price out pretty close to what I see on ITA Matrix but since I don't have any idea what the TK website equivalent would be, I couldn't say for sure with 100% certainty.
Old May 23, 2017, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ovenman
It seems like the tickets price out pretty close to what I see on ITA Matrix but since I don't have any idea what the TK website equivalent would be, I couldn't say for sure with 100% certainty.
Thank you. If it is close to ITA, that is good enough for me.

Originally Posted by gr8pirate

Do you have any recommend routes (i.e., where the cpm is reasonably long for long haul flights in Q class)?
Old May 23, 2017, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by godsquare
Thank you. If it is close to ITA, that is good enough for me.

Do you have any recommend routes (i.e., where the cpm is reasonably long for long haul flights in Q class)?
The data points Gnopps posted above are good examples.

I've found that bookings through their website in semi-flexible economy end up in Q. This only works for OW or RT flights, you don't get the option to choose semi over non-flexible when it's an open jaw. You have to continue all the way just before payment to actually see the booking class.

The most I've ever paid extra (by far) for TK Q was US West Coast to South Africa via IST RT at $1400 RT. Cheapest ticket was around $850.

made sense to me:
at 25% miles: ca. 6000 status miles
at 100% miles: ca 24000 status miles
Old May 24, 2017, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Gnopps
You might want to have a look at what the Q-fare cost on your dates, generally it is a few 100s more. Some examples (incl taxes & fees):

MAD-CGK
W: 539
Q: 901

WAW-CGK
P: 541
Q: 653

HEL-CGK
V: 581
Q: 761

653 for Q fare is very good deal! i usually fly from CDG/FRA/MXP and never found 6xx for Q fare. Thank you!
Old May 25, 2017, 6:36 am

It seems tp me that Q, A, O classes often aren't much more expensive but they are difficult to find on websites. sadly TK doesn't make it easy to find them, with the first time a booking class is displayed being after the personal details page. I ended up booking a flight earlier today in Q and only got it to work after going to their office. The flights I found online all had P in them. Surprisingly, the Q flight turned out to be cheaper. I just couldn't find it online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.