FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Strategies for Renewing E+ Cards Using Discount Economy Tickets
Old May 18, 2017, 3:24 am
johnirvine

Programs: LH SEN, A3*G, TK*G E+, ALL/Accor Plat
Strategies for Renewing E+ Cards Using Discount Economy Tickets

The capacity to earn mileage on TK discount economy tickets has declined considerably in the past year as W,P,F,U and V fares now earn only 25% miles. As a result, I have changed considerably my booking pattern and use TK far less.

One change is to use AC and UA to fly to the USA. For example, yesterday I booked on the UA website an itinerary from IST to MIA next April in L class for €434 which yielded 12,851 miles. TK wanted €650 for a flight yielding 25% mileage.

The biggest change I have made is to book LH Premium Economy tickets in advance in N/Y class. If booked a long time in advance, these frequently price out around the same as TK 50% mileage tickets.

My strategy is always to earn 40,000 miles in the first year which then allows the possibility to use redemption business tickets in the second year (using high mileage accrued on credit cards).

Does anyone have even more interesting approaches to copy with the changes in TK mileage accrual?