Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Strategies for Renewing E+ Cards Using Discount Economy Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strategies for Renewing E+ Cards Using Discount Economy Tickets

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by pandablood
It seems tp me that Q, A, O classes often aren't much more expensive but they are difficult to find on websites. sadly TK doesn't make it easy to find them, with the first time a booking class is displayed being after the personal details page. I ended up booking a flight earlier today in Q and only got it to work after going to their office. The flights I found online all had P in them. Surprisingly, the Q flight turned out to be cheaper. I just couldn't find it online.
yes. the downside (at least for me) is i couldnt choose the fare class online. most of the time i would rather contact my local travel agent via whatsapp than calling tk office
Old May 25, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I think there are 2 approaches to get the miles:

1. If you are flying for the miles: one easy trip exEU to down under in J will get what you wanted;

2. If you are travelling anyway (this is what we do): then be friend with UA or AC(TK doesn't give you any miles for flights between US and Canada when flying on AC aircrafts) for a couple of times - exEU to West Coast will easily get you 8k+ per trip (more if you are willing to do extra connections). So 3 RT will get you Elite renewed and 5 RT will get your E+ renewed.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by kerjaansei
yes. the downside (at least for me) is i couldnt choose the fare class online. most of the time i would rather contact my local travel agent via whatsapp than calling tk office
Yes. I asked TK Helpdesk on twitter how to search for fare classes and got a non-answer.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by pandablood
Yes. I asked TK Helpdesk on twitter how to search for fare classes and got a non-answer.
Use OTA's like Expedia and Tripsta, they will show the booking class.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by johnirvine
The capacity to earn mileage on TK discount economy tickets has declined considerably in the past year as W,P,F,U and V fares now earn only 25% miles. As a result, I have changed considerably my booking pattern and use TK far less.

One change is to use AC and UA to fly to the USA. For example, yesterday I booked on the UA website an itinerary from IST to MIA next April in L class for €434 which yielded 12,851 miles. TK wanted €650 for a flight yielding 25% mileage.

The biggest change I have made is to book LH Premium Economy tickets in advance in N/Y class. If booked a long time in advance, these frequently price out around the same as TK 50% mileage tickets.

My strategy is always to earn 40,000 miles in the first year which then allows the possibility to use redemption business tickets in the second year (using high mileage accrued on credit cards).

Does anyone have even more interesting approaches to copy with the changes in TK mileage accrual?
Hi there! I'm also trying to renew my TK E+ status, and I got a question you guys might help me out (without the need to start another thread).

I'm planning a Trip with UA, at Turkish website says I can get 100% on M tickets... but within this 100% miles how many will count as Status Miles, all of them?

UA Website states:
M Class Ticket
Base Award miles: 7,765
PQM: 10,299

Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by stevespam
Hi there! I'm also trying to renew my TK E+ status, and I got a question you guys might help me out (without the need to start another thread).

I'm planning a Trip with UA, at Turkish website says I can get 100% on M tickets... but within this 100% miles how many will count as Status Miles, all of them?

UA Website states:
M Class Ticket
Base Award miles: 7,765
PQM: 10,299

Thanks!
With TK they all count as the same, in your case, M, 100% of status miles.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy
With TK they all count as the same, in your case, M, 100% of status miles.
Thanks Vincewy, so in this specific case, I'd get: 7,795 Status Miles at TK, correct?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by stevespam
Thanks Vincewy, so in this specific case, I'd get: 7,795 Status Miles at TK, correct?
Not sure where you're flying, but if you check your route here

http://www.gcmap.com/

Your award and status miles are identical, no fuss, no confusion. If the route is 7795 miles you'll get 7795 miles.

TBH, even living in US I avoid flying as much as I can these days. Sky high fares with crappy products and services, my money is better spent on foreign carriers like TK. I am not familiar with Mileage Plus with their mindboggling rules and provisions, for the time/resources UA spends on those why not just improve product/cabin services?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:15 pm

Red face

Originally Posted by vincewy
Not sure where you're flying, but if you check your route here

http://www.gcmap.com/

Your award and status miles are identical, no fuss, no confusion. If the route is 7795 miles you'll get 7795 miles.

TBH, even living in US I avoid flying as much as I can these days. Sky high fares with crappy products and services, my money is better spent on foreign carriers like TK. I am not familiar with Mileage Plus with their mindboggling rules and provisions, for the time/resources UA spends on those why not just improve product/cabin services?
Thanks Vince, now I got my answer. For your information, I live in South America and I've always try to avoid US carriers (well known by their bad customer services), but it wouldn't make much sense fly from Brazil to US via Turkey, even though it's always nice to visit IST Lounge.

I'm able to keep my E+ status at Turkish because I fly twice a year to China, this time via Istanbul. I might try to visit US via Canada (Air Canada), one more way to maximize the use of my Star Alliance status and get maybe a better service.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.