Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

ECN-IST-JFK and return - is a Turkish visa required?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ECN-IST-JFK and return - is a Turkish visa required?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Question ECN-IST-JFK and return - is a Turkish visa required?

Looking at booking ECN-IST-JFK and return. Will not be leaving the IST airport. travelling on a US passport. Will I have to get a visa upon arrival in IST (or online beforehand)? Am I correct in understanding that ECN-IST is considered a domestic flight?

And to complicate matters (or maybe not), I live in the RoC (have a residency permit) so I will have no stamps in my passport from the TRNC. TRNC does not stamp passports when crossing by land from the RoC to the TRNC.

I will be driving to the RoC the same day I arrive in EVN. Will TRNC to RoC customs conditions apply when I cross from the TRNC to the RoC? Or will RoC customs conditions apply as if I were just arriving into the RoC? The TRNC-RoC customs conditions are more limiting than if you arrived in LCA.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
ECN-IST is considered an international flight, so you do not need a Turkish visa if you stay in transit at IST.

I cannot advise on the details of TRNC / RoC border crossings.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: TK Elite+, HIlton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Silver
ECN-IST is an international flight, so you will arrive in the international terminal. You will not need a visa if you are in transit.

TRNC will either stamp a sheet of paper (their visa) at their crossing point. You can use this at your exit at Ercan. Coming back, i would minimize anything you want to bring over as "duty-free" because the checkpoint at the crossing into RoC is not an international border, as the personnel manning the crossing will be more than happy to explain to you (I.e. don't try to bring excessive amounts of alcohol or tobacco back in; they once gave a colleague a bunch of grief over one carton of cigarettes)

The general rule of thumb for Cyprus, and you seem aware of this, is to always enter and exit from the same point
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the most important question is "when?" In recent weeks they have been speaking about moving the Ercan flights to the domestic terminal, even though they would still politically be considered "international" flights. However I do not know 100% if they are going to do this and if so, when it will start.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Originally Posted by siberslava
ECN-IST is an international flight, so you will arrive in the international terminal. You will not need a visa if you are in transit.

TRNC will either stamp a sheet of paper (their visa) at their crossing point. You can use this at your exit at Ercan. Coming back, i would minimize anything you want to bring over as "duty-free" because the checkpoint at the crossing into RoC is not an international border, as the personnel manning the crossing will be more than happy to explain to you (I.e. don't try to bring excessive amounts of alcohol or tobacco back in; they once gave a colleague a bunch of grief over one carton of cigarettes)

The general rule of thumb for Cyprus, and you seem aware of this, is to always enter and exit from the same point
The TRNC no longer stamps a piece of paper at the land crossings. So I will have no record of entry to the TRNC. Will that be an issue?

I will not be bringing any alcohol or tobacco, but I will have 2 32kg pieces of luggage plus a carry-on bringing back new clothes and household items from the US. When crossing the checkpoint, the Cypriot immigration/officials almost always want to look in the trunk of may car (I only buy groceries or fabric when I go over there). I don't know how they feel about 2 large pieces of luggage. I don't cross the checkpoint frequently enough that they recognize me (maybe once every 2 months).

I can always ask the officials at the checkpoint about this the next time I come across, but it's hard to tell if the official is a person who has serious issues about the fact that the country is divided. I don't want to get a lecture about how ECN is an illegal airport and yada yada yada.......

This trip would be in November/December this year.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AC*E50K, CX Gold, SPG Gold
Ercan to Istanbul

Hi,

I'm just wondering whether a Ercan to Istanbul flight is considered a domestic or international flight? I'll be flying from Ercan to Istanbul and then continue on a separate ticket to Canada and I want to see if I can check my luggage from Ercan all the way to Canada. Thanks!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Read this from the other day http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...-required.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.