Wiki Posts
Search

The Newbie Zone: ask your questions here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Flying from India

Hello,

Here is the route I am planning to fly: DEL-LYS (via IST).

I'm planning to fly on the 21st of May. Can anyone tell me if this flight is worth it? It is the cheapest by around $200 but I'm willing to pay the extra if this flight isn't worth it.

Also, they are a part of the Star Alliance right? So I can earn at least 50% miles on Miles & More right?

Thanks,
Crazysah
Old Apr 2, 2013, 10:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SK *G, Hertz President's Circle
Whether the flight is worth it depends on what you value in a flight, I'd say! If you are collecting M&Ms, TK should earn you at least 50% in Y, provided you're in the right fare bucket.

If you have no status and are flying in Y, your choice of airline won't make a huge difference in this case. IST can get quite crowded at times so you may be able to choose an alternative transfer airport that would be less busy. For 21 May, I found an AF fare that connects to a very fast train at CDG, for example, which ought to make a less painful transfer - but as I said, it really depends on what you're looking for in the experience!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Almost all fares by TK earns 100% mileage except route of the week.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...k-hava-yollari
Old Apr 15, 2013, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by nacho:20560469
Almost all fares by TK earns 100% mileage except route of the week.

http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...k-hava-yollari
How can I know the ticket I'm buying is the route of the week? It's confusing. is there any fare class that would be its indicator?
Thanks
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by mssoa7
How can I know the ticket I'm buying is the route of the week? It's confusing. is there any fare class that would be its indicator?
Thanks
From what I could see - routes of the week are those advertise on the right hand side of the first page of thy.com (I think it's the wingo thing)

It seems to me that it's those which are from IST that can't accumulate miles - it states very clearly on the screen if you click on any of the destinations. I double checked those wingo from CPH (my usual hub) and it doesn't state anything like not eligible for miles.

So I assume if they don't say it, then I should get miles.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:02 am

Programs: TK*G, Delta Gold
I am planning a trip CPH - IST - KIX, return NRT - IST - CPH in J. Could someone help me with some basic questions, please?
a) Will alcohol be served during the flight, and if so, what will be offered? I tried to consult the FAQ and the THY website, but I could not find any information. In this forum I see hints to "no alcohol being offered on certain routes, but will be served upon asking specifically". Does this apply to Japan flights?
b) Layover times are 2:30, 2:10 on the way home. Will this be enough to pay the CIP lounge a visit? How far is it between the lounge and the gate, I assume there will be passport formalities between lounge and gate?
c) IST-KIX is operated by A330, without specification whether it is 333 or 332. The seatmap shows 24 seats - seatguru shows either 22 (332) or 28 (333) in C class. Which configuration will be typically used for this route?
Thank you.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zeehe
a) Will alcohol be served during the flight, and if so, what will be offered?
Yes. As I personally do not drink alcohol before or when flying, with the very rare exception of some dessert wine on occasion, I will not opine on the quality of the beverages offered. The selection looks decent enough.
b) Layover times are 2:30, 2:10 on the way home. Will this be enough to pay the CIP lounge a visit? How far is it between the lounge and the gate, I assume there will be passport formalities between lounge and gate?
Assuming your incoming flights are on time, yes. The distance obviously depends on which gate. It can be a very long slog if you arrive at the far gate next to the cargo terminal (#226 or so, off the top of my head), have to walk all the way to the transit security checkpoint at the other end, then go upstairs and walk all the way back to the side you came from, where the lounge is. This is the worst case scenario, but even that should not take more than 15 minutes, if you are a fast walker and there are no delays at fast track security. Then there is of course also the risk of arriving at a bus gate, but the bus should drop you off fairly close to the transit security checkpoint. No passport control for international transit pax, but there may well be a passport check at the embarkation gate for your onward flight.

As for the A332/333 question, I can't help you there.

Johan
Old Apr 17, 2013, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The distance obviously depends on which gate. It can be a very long slog if you arrive at the far gate next to the cargo terminal (#226 or so, off the top of my head), have to walk all the way to the transit security checkpoint at the other end, then go upstairs and walk all the way back to the side you came from, where the lounge is. This is the worst case scenario, but even that should not take more than 15 minutes, if you are a fast walker and there are no delays at fast track security. Then there is of course also the risk of arriving at a bus gate, but the bus should drop you off fairly close to the transit security checkpoint. No passport control for international transit pax, but there may well be a passport check at the embarkation gate for your onward flight.
Johan, thank you. Good to know about Transfer Security, thanks for pointing it out! Of course Turkey isn't part of Schengen so I am already non-Schengen when arriving there, so never mind my question regarding passport control. Guess I'm too used to connecting at Schengen airports when flying IC. :-D
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:17 am

Thanks for any help coming my way . . . . .

I have been playing around experimenting with different flight scenarios for an upcoming trip during Aug/Sept. One query I have is that on a flight ASR-DLM (which routes via IST) at end August, if looking at fares below the business class tab (which seem very cheap), the following page shows Cabin/Fare/Class as Economy/Flexible/D.

I am unsure as to what type of seating this will be as I understood a D fare was Business, but is this economy?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 1:22 am

Oops, also meant to ask about a fare DLM-BSL. The Turkish Airlines website is showing the aircraft to be 737-800 on both legs. Expert Flyer shows them as 319 & 320. Any idea which would most likely be accurate?

Thanks . . . . .
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:30 am

Flying TK C to KIX, can I use any of the lounges upon arrival, and if so which one do you recommend for a quick shower/snack? I'm TK Elite if that helps.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:51 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Flying TK C to KIX, can I use any of the lounges upon arrival, and if so which one do you recommend for a quick shower/snack? I'm TK Elite if that helps.
AFAIK KIX has no arrivals lounge. You could use the pay lounge which is landside: http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/lounge/ They offer a "shower only" package for ¥ 500 or ¥ 300 if you also pay for lounge access (¥ 300 for 30 mins). Oddly enough a towel is ¥ 200 extra.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by starflyergold
AFAIK KIX has no arrivals lounge. You could use the pay lounge which is landside: http://www.kansai-airport.or.jp/lounge/ They offer a "shower only" package for ¥ 500 or ¥ 300 if you also pay for lounge access (¥ 300 for 30 mins). Oddly enough a towel is ¥ 200 extra.
Thanks. Seems quite cheap, if I converted that correctly.

Another question: Can I see my booking (made via the THY reservation hotline) somewhere online? On thy.com I get an error message (presumably since I didn't book online), checkmytrip and M&M's "My bookings" doesn't find anything with the PNR. Doesn't THY use Amadeus? I'd like to see it to verify my seat selection and special meal.

TL;DR: Looking for a way to display my THY booking online.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by PaintedSkies
Oops, also meant to ask about a fare DLM-BSL. The Turkish Airlines website is showing the aircraft to be 737-800 on both legs. Expert Flyer shows them as 319 & 320. Any idea which would most likely be accurate?

Thanks . . . . .
flightradar24.com is your friend. You can see stats about which aircraft was used for a flight.

Ex.: http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/tk26
Old Apr 23, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold,HHonours Diamond,SPG Plat,Carlson Gold,Accor Plat,Etihad Gold
Joined Miles&Smiles on flight

I flew DUB-IST on 7 April and applied for Miles&Smiles on board with a view to status match. I have a temporary card and number but haven't received anything to confirm enrollment. Anyone any experience of how long this normally takes when completing an application onboard?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.