Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

FAQ 8: Free hotel/tour/cruise when connecting at IST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ISTFlyer
It's strange this thread has no Wiki, so here it is, created 7/21/2015

PLEASE READ THE OP Post first

For case related questions ( ex: Am I eligible, etc... ) contact[email protected] first before posting your question here.

TK free hotel room rules:

A complimentary hotel accommodation (maximum 2 nights) will be provided to our valuable passengers when there are more than 10 hours (for economy cabin passengers) and 7 or more hours (for business cabin passengers) waiting during their international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule structure. However, if your destination can be reached by an alternative flight to your first flight and the waiting time is less, you cannot take advantage of the hotel service. This service is not applicable when there is a shorter connection available within the time frame mentioned above. The first and the connecting flights must be with Turkish Airlines. All passengers must hold a confirmed reservation for the first and the connecting flights. Complimentary accommodation will be arranged with Turkish Airlines’ corporate partners and will be provided through the “Hotel Desk” located after the customs’ check point at the arrival. Passengers must check for any visa requirements when entering Turkey. In the event where a visa is not granted, Turkish Airlines assumes no responsibility for providing complimentary hotel accommodation.

Note:
- You still need e-VISA to enter Turkish for a Tour or Hotel. The prices vary by countries ($60 USD for Canadian, $20 for USA, etc...)
You can apply here at https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/

Tour website is at http://www.istanbulinhours.com/
There are 3 tours offered (Schedule)
  1. Tour 1 8:30am - 11am - Sightseeing Tour
  2. Tour 2 9am - 3pm - Tour
  3. Tour 3 9am - 6pm - Tour
  4. Tour 4 12pm - 6pm - Tour
  5. Tour 5 4pm - 9pm - Cultural Walk Tour
How to Apply - You need minimum 6 hours layover, max 24 hours. Both inbound and outbound flights must be on TK.

A Bosphorus cruise, with food and drinks, is available for business class passengers of more than 7 hour layover (€183 as of Nov. 2017)

Here's a list of the common hotels that are reported in this thread:

Marriott Renaissance Polat Istanbul Hotel (72% TripAdvisor – most common)
Akgün Istanbul Hotel (44% TripAdvisor–common – far from the airport)
Wow Airport Hotel (56% TripAdvisor–common - very close to airport)
DoubleTree
Wyndham İstanbul Petek (92% TripAdvisor)
Radisson Blu Conference & Airport Hotel (53% TripAdvisor)
Hilton Garden Inn
Courtyard by Marriott Istanbul International Airport
Gonen Hotel Istanbul
Pullman Istanbul Airport Hotel
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:56 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum

Turkish Airlines offer free hotel accommodation at IST airport (or a tour of Istanbul) to connecting passengers based on the following:

Rules:

- There is more than 10 hours (7 or more hours for business class passengers) between two international connecting flights due to Turkish Airlines’ schedule for a maximum 2 nights. Comfort Class is considered economy in this context.

- The layover time is calculated on the schedule not your booking. Let me explain: If the schedule shows an outgoing flight within the 10/7 hours window, even if you are not booked on the earlier flight (or couldn't book because it was full), you won't be able to take advantage of the free hotel/tour offer.

- You must be on an incoming TK and outgoing TK flight (other Star Alliance flights are not applicable for this offer).

How do I get this offer?:

Upon arrival you will have to clear immigration and customs and go to the “Hotel Desk” office which is located at the arrival floor after customs, turn right and walk to the end, next to Starbucks.

(thanks Mr. Roboto)

The staff will present you with a hotel voucher (which will include breakfast if your stay includes that time window), transport to/from the hotel is included.

The hotel may vary but is generally of good quality (Radisson Blue etc.).

You cannot pre-book the hotel/tour, you have to physically present yourself at the hotel desk. However for inquiries number for the hotel desk is +90 212 463 63 63 / ext. 12426-15532 or touristanbul[at]thy.com

If you don't want a hotel and fulfill the requirements you can avail of a free tour of Istanbul. Details on the Istanbul tours are available here and here.

You may find additional information in the old http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...ansit-pax.html thread.

What other options do I have if I don't fulfill the requirements?

You can book a room at the Istanbul Airport Hotel which offers rooms on both land and airside (no visa required). Airside rooms can be booked in three hour slots.

If you have lounge access you can spend your time at TK's flagship lounge. Details, including the "sleeping pods" are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...st-lounge.html

Last edited by starflyergold; Feb 23, 2013 at 4:59 am
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I never thought I'd find myself wishing for fewer TLV flights
Old Jan 31, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Ambassador
What is the policy on a free hotel stay when flying on two separate PNRs?

Scenario is as follows:

PNR 1: FRU-IST-JNB-IST-FRU
PNR 2: IST-PRG-IST

On the outbound leg, PNR 2 is nested within PNR 1 during a week-long Istanbul stopover. All flights are on TK, the PRG flight is the first scheduled departure after the first arrival from FRU, and the layover time is over 10 hours.

It appears that all the TK conditions are met for a free hotel stay, except that the flights are on separate PNRs. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by YYZMike
What is the policy on a free hotel stay when flying on two separate PNRs?

Scenario is as follows:

PNR 1: FRU-IST-JNB-IST-FRU
PNR 2: IST-PRG-IST

On the outbound leg, PNR 2 is nested within PNR 1 during a week-long Istanbul stopover. All flights are on TK, the PRG flight is the first scheduled departure after the first arrival from FRU, and the layover time is over 10 hours.

It appears that all the TK conditions are met for a free hotel stay, except that the flights are on separate PNRs. Does anyone have any experience with this?
Sitting in the IST lounge now after a complimentary night at Hilton Garden Inn.

I'm travlling on two different PNR's, but had no issue getting the hotel. In my experience they only look at boarding passes, not reservations, so just make sure to have boarding passes for your onward connection.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:26 pm

Programs: AC SE, Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by raunow
Sitting in the IST lounge now after a complimentary night at Hilton Garden Inn.

I'm travlling on two different PNR's, but had no issue getting the hotel. In my experience they only look at boarding passes, not reservations, so just make sure to have boarding passes for your onward connection.
Thank you, that's a big help.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
raunow, have you any idea or personal experiences with which hotels TK uses for the complimentary stay? Are they all near IST or are some of them in the city proper? Thank you.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3*G, TK*G
I assume that code share flights are no good for complimentary hotel ?

I am flying WAW-IST-KUL with TK on the first leg and MH (CS flight) on the second. Both legs in J. 20h layover in IST. Any chances ?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
IST Tour dring layover?

Does anyone have experience with the Turkish airlines complimentary tour for long layovers? We will have about 8 hours while flying in Business BKK-IST-IAD.

The website says tours are complimentary for this sort of layover, but the timing doesn't seem to work. We arrive at 5:40AM and leave 1:30PM. The tours are generally listed as starting at 9AM (http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...assengers.aspx).

Has anyone had experience with this or something similar?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Did you look in here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...ting-ist.html?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Yep, I saw that thread. It didn't really cover the early AM situation or if the tours only start at 9AM
Old Feb 7, 2013, 9:19 pm
Iam

Programs: THY M&S, Aeroflot Bonus
In your case, unfortunately, the timing doesn't work: the tours ideed start at a fixed time - 9am and 12pm and end at 3pm and 6pm.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by Iam
In your case, unfortunately, the timing doesn't work: the tours ideed start at a fixed time - 9am and 12pm and end at 3pm and 6pm.
When we did our layover we had to do a quick Mattress run at the Courtyard close to the airport. So we asked which tour we can get on, and he said there is one at 9am, and I said we might not be able to do it and then he said to me to get back at 10am.

I don't know exactly what he meant since we decided to take the 9am tour because you can't get 3 kids calm in a hotel room during daytime.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
To confirm - If I come in on TK GRU - IST, then overnight, and then depart the next day IST - ATH - JTR on A3, I am not elligible because my IST - ATH flight is on A3 and not TK, right?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 4:45 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by beofotch
To confirm - If I come in on TK GRU - IST, then overnight, and then depart the next day IST - ATH - JTR on A3, I am not elligible because my IST - ATH flight is on A3 and not TK, right?
Right
Old Feb 10, 2013, 5:19 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by perlman007
Does anyone have experience with the Turkish airlines complimentary tour for long layovers? We will have about 8 hours while flying in Business BKK-IST-IAD.

The website says tours are complimentary for this sort of layover, but the timing doesn't seem to work. We arrive at 5:40AM and leave 1:30PM. The tours are generally listed as starting at 9AM (http://www.turkishairlines.com/en-in...assengers.aspx).

Has anyone had experience with this or something similar?
Assume you are travelling before TK start up their own KUL service. If so, I would appreciate if you would post back to say how you get on with the hotel.
I have a KUL-IST-WAW later in the year and the IST-WAW is a TK ticket on LOT metal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.