Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by rman85
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in applying for nexus and had a quick question about eligibility.

About 2 years ago, I bought a radar detector and ordered it to Bellingham, WA. When I brought it back, I didn't declare it and was pulled in. They found it and I had to pay a fine or some amount ( I forget now). Totally a silly decision and I would never do anything like this again.

Since then, I've had no issues and haven't been searched at all on any border crossing. Now my GF has nexus and me not having nexus is getting frustrating.

I am trying to figure out if this is an infarction that would preclude me from applying . The elegibility criteria "you have a recorded violation of customs."

Thanks for your help in advance
-R
Welcome to FT. Only way to find out is to apply and be honest. Worse case is you wasted your time and $50. Let us know your result which will help others is similar situation.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:49 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rman85
Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in applying for nexus and had a quick question about eligibility.

About 2 years ago, I bought a radar detector and ordered it to Bellingham, WA. When I brought it back, I didn't declare it and was pulled in. They found it and I had to pay a fine or some amount ( I forget now). Totally a silly decision and I would never do anything like this again.

Since then, I've had no issues and haven't been searched at all on any border crossing. Now my GF has nexus and me not having nexus is getting frustrating.

I am trying to figure out if this is an infarction that would preclude me from applying . The elegibility criteria "you have a recorded violation of customs."

Thanks for your help in advance
-R
Fine by which agency? Fined for failure to declare purchases or fine because radar detector is illegal?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by a1bunny
where can I take fingerprints? Can I do it during my interview @niagara falls US side location? Is there only one KTN number showing in our GOES account? Or are there different numbers for precheck and global entry/NEXUS? Can I get the number after I get approval (i.e. before I receive my NEXUS card)? I have an international trip coming soon, I'm afraid that I won't receive my NEXUS card in time.
Yes, your fingerprints will be collected during the interview at all Nexus interview locations on either side of the border. It's iris scans that are taken only at Canadian locations (and you can do that after your interview at a US location). The PASSID is the only number in your GOES account and is used as your KTN for both PreCheck and GE/NEXUS. Once you apply and are conditionally approved for an interview, a PASSID will be assigned and visible in your account, however you cannot use it for GE benefits until you receive (electronically in your GOES account) your final approval letter after your interview. This is normal within a couple of hours after the interview if all goes well.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
What's the process when switching from Global entry to nexus? Do you even speak to the US side during the interview?

Can I still use my global entry while having a pending nexus application or interview?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:17 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by reclusive46
What's the process when switching from Global entry to nexus? Do you even speak to the US side during the interview?

Can I still use my global entry while having a pending nexus application or interview?
Both CBP and CBSA will have to process the NEXUS application even if you have Global Entry. There is no "shorten" processing if that is what you are asking.

Yes, you can use GE in the meantime. There is no interruption to it.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by televisor
As flyquiet explained, CBP use fingerprints. Additionally: even if fingerprints fail, you just have to get your identity manually verified: the kiosks spits out a receipt with an X and a "Report to Passport Control": you simply find the nearest CBP booth, and they'll process you manually using your passport (they then stamp the receipt, everything else is back to normal after that point).

Additionally: the kiosk identifies you based on your passport, so the fingerprints are only an additional verifiction of your identity, but the machine won't reject you (unless your passport isn't in the system, in which case you won't even get past the first stage).
Thanks televisor and flyquiet. Looks like I shall have to go to the new office at 2935 Convair Drive to get my irises re-scanned as the same thing happened to me last night upon return to Canada. What a pain that they have moved the office out of the airport.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:10 pm

You are very helpful! Thank you very much for your reply.

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes, your fingerprints will be collected during the interview at all Nexus interview locations on either side of the border. It's iris scans that are taken only at Canadian locations (and you can do that after your interview at a US location). The PASSID is the only number in your GOES account and is used as your KTN for both PreCheck and GE/NEXUS. Once you apply and are conditionally approved for an interview, a PASSID will be assigned and visible in your account, however you cannot use it for GE benefits until you receive (electronically in your GOES account) your final approval letter after your interview. This is normal within a couple of hours after the interview if all goes well.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 10:49 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by a1bunny
You are very helpful! Thank you very much for your reply.
You are most welcome! Do consider adding your experiences to the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trust...sing-time.html thread as your application progresses!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by televisor
- The website states you don't need your card
- I've not seen any reports of CBP asking for the card _except_ when the card (instead of passport) was used at a GE kiosk at preclearance in Canada.
- I've not seen any reports of Nexus revocation for not possessing the Nexus card when using GE.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions based on armchair lawyering, but I personally wouldn't have the slightest worry about using GE without the Nexus card. If you really want to play it safe, I'd recommend asking CBP for an explicit confirmation of what the website already states.

FWIW no one is making the equivalent assertion that you must carry the Nexus card to use Pre...
To close the loop on this, no problems using GE machines in YYZ the day after approval - even though hadn't yet received renewal card. In the end there was no difference between the two CBP lines, but the initial Nexus security line was significantly shorter. We got into that line with the expired card but YMMV.

US boarding passes showed Pre no problems.

Last edited by FrequentFlyerYYZ; Oct 28, 2016 at 8:17 pm Reason: Extra info
Old Oct 25, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Forgive me for not reading this entire thread. I looked for an answer on Nexus website and couldn't find it in the FAQ.

I just took in my passport for renewal yesterday and I was told a new one would be delivered to me by Nov 4 at the latest (two weeks). My next international trip isn't until Nov 10 so I figured that was fine.

I am going to US (MSY) however on Nov 3rd. I thought if I didn't have my passport back, I could just use my Nexus card for entry into US. A friend suggested that my passport will probably be cancelled in the next few days and that will be communicated to Nexus, so my card won't be valid anymore. Is this correct?
I called the Nexus office. The agent told me that Nexus does not know if I am getting a new passport, so there should be no problem using my card. However, the agent said I should check with the airline as they are the ones who will determine if I can fly without a passport.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:31 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
To close the loop on this, no problems using GE machines in YYZ the day after approval - even though hadn't yet received renewal card. In the end there was no difference between the two CBP lines, but the initial Nexus security line was significantly shorter. We got into that line with the expired card but YMMV.
NEXUS security line checker only checks if you have a NEXUS or Global Entry card. I did not notice they checked for validity date.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 7:54 am

Programs: AC 75K, Marrott Platinum, BW Diamond, AP Diamond
We just had our nexus approved in Calais Maine, but they were not able to do the eye scan there. We are flying to Orlando thru Montreal (but I don't think we have the time) and then back to Toronto.

Do we need an appointment and do you know where they do the scan in YYZ? I noticed on some website the office was moved temporarily? outside the airport? Anyway, we had planned on getting this done on our way back, if they were still opened when we flew in (around 7pm).

thanks
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
YYZ is open until 8pm M-F. No appointment needed for an eye scan...just put your name on the list.

Yes, it temporarily moved. Used to be in T1, next to the customs entry, but everything has moved (in June...IIRC) as they moved entrance for US flight and went to the take bag at check in-security first method. Don't know where it is now...and if it will move back to the same place it was when they go back.

Speaking of which, anyone know when it is scheduled to open again at T1? Wife is eleigible to renew, and in case she needs an interview, hoping that it will be back in T1.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Finkface
There is no actual dedicated expedited security, just lanes that allow you to bypass the general line. Kind of like a priority lane. Everyone goes to the same place, you just get there faster if you have a Nexus/GE card. You have to do the same things everyone else does (shoes off etc) and everyone comes out the same place. You then exit the security hall and go into another area/room where the CBP officers are.
This isn't correct. Some airports have dedicated lines for Nexus members, affording certain privileges like not being required to remove liquids from your bag and allowing you to keep your belt on. Airports that don't have these special lines (due to lower volume) funnel Nexus members to the front of the general line, albeit Nexus members are not afforded those extra privileges. It can also depend on time of day; if there is only two security lines open, one won't be reserved for Nexus members even though during peek hours the airport may have a dedicated line.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
YYZ is open until 8pm M-F. No appointment needed for an eye scan...just put your name on the list...
Is that a "list" you add your name to at the door?

I have 4+ hours between my wife's departure on Wednesday (at 1025) and mine (at 1440) so I was thinking of getting a cab over there and back during that period to get my eyes re-scanned as they seem to have changed from my original scan. They are no longer recognised by the machines at YYZ - I think because I stopped wearing contact lenses about 2 months ago after 30 years of wearing them all day every day.

Do you think I will be able to get that done in that timeframe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.