Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry for Citizens of India

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 7, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
This thread in the India forum contains useful information on completing the requisite portion of the application process in India:

India joins US Global Entry programme

The following was copied verbatim from the DHS website:

Global Entry for Indian Citizens

How to Apply for Global Entry:

Citizens of India are eligible for Global Entry. Applications must be submitted through CBP’s Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) website. The non-refundable application fee for a five-year Global Entry membership is $100 and applications must be made online. Once the application is approved, a CBP officer will conduct a scheduled interview with the applicant and then make a final eligibility determination.

Application Process:
  1. Apply Online with CBP: Complete a TTP online application and pay the $100 non-refundable application fee.
  2. After completion of step ‘1’ applicants need to submit the requisite information, along with the applicable fee of ₹500, in the Passport Seva Portal, www.passportindia.gov.in for their background check in India. In addition to this, all Indian applicants must schedule an in-person interview at the respective Passport Seva Kendra/Passport Seva Laghu Kendra (PSK/PSLK) office as per their residential jurisdiction in India (as per the address furnished online). During the interview, Indian citizens will have their fingerprints and photo captured and complete other formalities. A visit to the PSK/PSLK is based on prior appointment only.
  3. If the applicant is not presently living in India, it is recommended that they apply for Global Entry prior to their next trip to India so that the appointment at the PSK/PSLK office can be completed during their visit.
  4. Schedule an Interview in the U.S.: Once your application is reviewed, you will receive a message in your TTP account instructing you to schedule an interview at one of the Global Entry Enrollment Centers. Global Entry Enrollment Centers are primarily located within the United States at ports of entry and designated CBP facilities.
  5. Interview Determines Your Eligibility: A U.S. Customs Border Protection officer will ask you questions, take your photo, and collect your fingerprints.
  6. Provide Identification: Bring your valid passport(s) and one other form of identification, such as a driver's license or ID card to the interview. If you are a lawful permanent resident, you must present your permanent resident card.

Other Benefits:

Once a citizen of India is enrolled in Global Entry, he/she will also be eligible to participate in TSA Precheck. Visit the TSA Precheck program website for more information.

Travel Requirements:

All Indian Global Entry members must have a valid passport and a valid visa. Global Entry members who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. lawful permanent residents must maintain updated visa information with CBP. If a Global Entry member obtains a new visa, or obtains a new petition for a work visa, the member must notify CBP in-person at a Global Entry enrollment center. A member must visit an enrollment center to have CBP add visa and/or update visa information. If the visa information is incomplete or not properly updated with CBP, the Global Entry kiosk may incorrectly calculate the member’s class of admission and admission date. A member must visit an enrollment center in-person to add or update visa information.

Last modified: May 17, 2018
Print Wikipost

Global Entry for Citizens of India

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
has anybody here received conditional approval so far????

its been about 5 weeks now since i applied but i'm still pending approval....
same here bro...my appln was received on 7th July...no change on GOES website...do let me know if have news! Cheers
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:03 pm

Hi all

Has anyone tried contacting the SF consulate regarding the PSK verification for passports issued in the US?

Also what is their contact for this purpose?

Thanks!

Hi everyone, have you all received any further information regarding the PSK interview locations if the passport was issued abroad ?

My husband's current passport was issued by the SF indian consulate and so the address is not an Indian one. Since there's no PSK verification center in SF where the passport was issued, the online passport Seva portal will not let him make any appointments. And it seems we have only 3 months to get the PSK verification completed?!
Of course, none of these important details are mentioned before GOES takes your application (and money!). Only after signing up do you find out what a mess it is.
I spoke to the GOES help desk (and also the SF airport desk) and they are not helpful at all - basically they say if the issue is one with the indian verification, then please resolve it with the indian consulate. And oh - even if you cancel your application due to all these hiccups which they've not resolved before inviting applications - YOU WILL NOT GET A REFUND of the application fee.

I'd really appreciate any information or update anyone's been able to get.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 9, 2017 at 5:15 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Ab2017
Hi all

Has anyone tried contacting the SF consulate regarding the PSK verification for passports issued in the US?

Also what is their contact for this purpose?

Thanks!

Hi everyone, have you all received any further information regarding the PSK interview locations if the passport was issued abroad ?

My husband's current passport was issued by the SF indian consulate and so the address is not an Indian one. Since there's no PSK verification center in SF where the passport was issued, the online passport Seva portal will not let him make any appointments. And it seems we have only 3 months to get the PSK verification completed?!
Of course, none of these important details are mentioned before GOES takes your application (and money!). Only after signing up do you find out what a mess it is.
I spoke to the GOES help desk (and also the SF airport desk) and they are not helpful at all - basically they say if the issue is one with the indian verification, then please resolve it with the indian consulate. And oh - even if you cancel your application due to all these hiccups which they've not resolved before inviting applications - YOU WILL NOT GET A REFUND of the application fee.

I'd really appreciate any information or update anyone's been able to get.
GOES did offer refunds to all the applications submitted within first 2 weeks or so. As of now, there is no way for you to get your verification done in the US. You "have" to travel to India and schedule an interview with PSK.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by sjf1877
Update:

I waited 2 more days with no conditional approval, so yesterday I decided to send an email using the link posted a few pages back. Checked my account first thing this morning and sure enough, I was approved.

Could be coincidence, or maybe emailing that link really does help - so thanks to whoever shared it!
as it's been over 6 weeks since my application, i sent in the email using the link yesterday....i received this automated reply 8 minutes later:

You can check the status of your application from your GOES home page, which is displayed after you login.

If your application status is "Pending Review" then your application has been received and is being processed. Please note that processing times vary by applicant, but on average you can expect your application to be processed for Global Entry and FAST within 1-2 weeks, and SENTRI and NEXUS 3-5 months. This includes vehicle enrollments. Again, these are average times - your application may take a shorter and longer time to process depending on what the vetting center determines.

The vetting process cannot be expedited. If you submitted a renewal application before expiration of your current membership, then you can continue to use your benefits until the renewal is finalized (up to 6 months after your expiration date). We recommend to print out a copy of your GOES homepage showing the pending renewal to show the Officer, if requested.

After the application has been reviewed, the status will be updated to either "Conditionally Approved" or "Denied" and a letter will be posted in your GOES account with additional information.

If conditionally approved, you will receive a notification to schedule your interview. It is important that you follow the directions in that notification and within 120 days of becoming Conditionally Approved, schedule your interview appointment at an Enrollment Center. The actual interview date, however, can be after the 120 days.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP Information Center.

NOTE: The answers provided in this forum are for general information purposes only. Utilizing this forum does not constitute Reasonable Care under Informed Compliance guidelines.
i checked this morning & my application status is still 'pending review'....
Old Aug 20, 2017, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i've posted this info in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...l#post28712242 thread as well but thought i would post it here too since there are a lot of people here who are not following the above mentioned thread....

so here is a bit of disturbing info i received from a friend of mine who is a senior ranking official in the external affairs ministry....i was having dinner with him last night & we were discussing the global entry program among other things....

he said the procedure is pretty complicated & works something like this:

the first step is the interview at the passport seva office where they will upload the passport details & bio metrics & photograph....once this is complete they will initiate police verification....

the second step is the police verification whereby someone from the police will visit your home to verify certain details....once this is complete they will send their report back to the passport office....this completes phase 1 of the process....

the third step is the passport office sending their phase 1 report to the finance ministry & external affairs ministry....

the fourth step is the finance ministry forwarding the report to the ed (enforcement directorate) so that they can verify your details & check if there are no economic crimes pending against you....at the same time the external affairs ministry shall forward the report to the ib (intelligence bureau), cbi (central bureau of investigation) & raw (research and analysis wing) to check if there are any criminal proceedings pending against you....once clearances from all these agencies is received then the individual reports will be sent back to the passport seva office....this will complete phase 2 of the process....

the fifth step is the passport seva office sending a consolidated report back to the cbp letting them know whether or not they recommend the individual for entry into the global entry program....

according to my friend this whole process can take anywhere from a couple of months to a year before the report goes to the cbp....at this point he expects the average wait time to be about 6 months....as of now the external affairs ministry & the finance ministry are not even sending the phase 1 reports to the respective agencies as & when they receive them....they wait till the end of the month & then send all the reports in one go....this wastes more time....

i have no reason to not believe my friend since he is involved with this process....he admits that the process is extremely frustrating & was not thought through when it was implemented but this is the way they have decided to do things so we have no option but to wait....
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:20 am

Unhappy

i've posted this info in the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/india...l#post28712242 thread as well but thought i would post it here too since there are a lot of people here who are not following the above mentioned thread....

so here is a bit of disturbing info i received from a friend of mine who is a.........
Keyser, Thanks for the info. All this sounds very typical of our govt. I'll stop checking my CBP account daily now :-(
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:44 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP 75k,
Hi, I filed my application couple of days ago. I got my GOES ID but still waiting for email from Passport email with GES ID. Any idea how long usually it takes to get this email from Passport-Admin India? Any other way to get GES ID on time? I've my current email on GOES account. Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, AS MVP 75k,
Nevermind, I got an email with GES ID etc. from Passport.Admin after 3 days of applying GOES. Though, interview scheduling system sucks, one can't choose a future date only show what is next available. I'll visit India next month and there's now way to schedule PSK interview for next month. Any tips/tricks. Please advise.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:25 pm

It doesn't look like anyone has successfully gotten Global Entry yet.

What a failure of a program, lol.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:45 pm

US CBP informs me that it takes 12 weeks for them to complete their verification. This is of course separate from the verification done by Indian authorities.

I have been advised by the CBP that I should take an appointment far into the future (8 or 9 months away), and then reschedule if my Indian background check completes. The CBP verification remains "live" as long as an appointment has been scheduled.

If my visa expires before Indian background check is complete, the details can be updated by taking my visa to the Global Entry Enrollment center. Not sure yet if they accept an approval notice (I797) in lieu of a stamped US visa.

Last edited by anirudh666; Aug 30, 2017 at 7:46 pm Reason: clarity
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anirudh666
US CBP informs me that it takes 12 weeks for them to complete their verification. This is of course separate from the verification done by Indian authorities.
i would be surprised if this were true....they complete all verification at the time they issue the visa so another 12 weeks to do the same verification makes no sense....
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:57 am

i would be surprised if this were true....they complete all verification at the time they issue the visa so another 12 weeks to do the same verification makes no sense....
In my case, I have been in the US for several years, and I work here. This may not be the case for you, but for what its worth, the CBP officer told me that Global Entry processing is a priority for them.

I don't understand myself why it should take 12 weeks, but it's still better than the 6 months that Indian authorities take (per your earlier post). At least the CBP has a number that you can call and ask questions 7 days a week...

I called up the CBP checkpoint in Port Huron, Michigan to check the info above.

Another thing:

If your Indian verification is complete after the expiration of your visa, you need to get your new visa stamped in your home country (India), re-enter US and only then can you give the CBP interview for Global Entry.

The CBP GOES system needs a visa number (the red alphanumeric code on the bottom right of your US visa). The visa number is only on the visa, not the I-797 approval notice.

An approval notice (I-797) for your US visa is not sufficient for scheduling an interview with the CBP for Global Entry Enrollment.

This answer was given by the Enrollment Center in Detroit Metro Airport.

Last edited by TWA884; Aug 31, 2017 at 9:15 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member for readability
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In my case, I have been in the US for several years, and I work here. This may not be the case for you, but for what its worth, the CBP officer told me that Global Entry processing is a priority for them.
fair enough....but i still can't understand why it would take 12 weeks....there have been reports of indian citizens who are green card holders receiving conditional approval within a week....

I don't understand myself why it should take 12 weeks, but it's still better than the 6 months that Indian authorities take (per your earlier post). At least the CBP has a number that you can call and ask questions 7 days a week...
we don't know if it will take 6 months or longer....no one residing in india seems to have been approved as of yet....the ridiculous process the government has put in place can take forever....
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:09 am

fair enough....but i still can't understand why it would take 12 weeks....there have been reports of indian citizens who are green card holders receiving conditional approval within a week....

we don't know if it will take 6 months or longer....no one residing in india seems to have been approved as of yet....the ridiculous process the government has put in place can take forever....
I am only 10-15 years away from getting my green card

I don't understand why it takes 12 weeks myself.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been advised by the CBP that I should take an appointment far into the future (8 or 9 months away), and then reschedule if my Indian background check completes. The CBP verification remains "live" as long as an appointment has been scheduled.
what appointment is this????

i was under the impression that conditional approval will only come after the indian government completes their formalities....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.