Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

NEXUS / Global Entry Interview

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:18 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by BMGRAHAM
Originally Posted by jjglaze77
Just did this today clicked that button today. I have several trips to Canada between now and the end of the year, but no available appointments coincided with my trips. So, I switched over to GE and was able to get something on my layover in ATL next week. I'm going to try a walk-in at DFW tomorrow. Any issues with walking in to a different location from your scheduled appointment?
It's good that they are listening to complaints from people like me. It doesn't help me though because now I am at the "select interview" stage there is no way to pay the extra $50. So I have a trip scheduled to do this.
If you cancel the pending interview, the switch to GE button will come back...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Originally Posted by 21A
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JRO03C) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

If you cancel the pending interview, the switch to GE button will come back...
This is unbelievable, you are right - thank you! Why is it unbelievable? Because I spent 15 mins on the phone with a CBP supervisor a couple of weeks before my OP, suggesting this, and listening to him defending why it could not be done, he didn't know that it was about to be implemented - unless of course it was as a result of my complaint but I can't imagine they would have implemented it so quickly!
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by rubesl
The Nexus "office" in Detroit is in a trailer at the foot of the Ambassador bridge (it's near downtown), which is about a 25 min. drive from DTW. Renting a car would probably be cheaper than taking a taxi roundtrip.
Anyone know if there's easy or accessible parking near the interview site in Detroit? Got my interview later this week.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: British Airways
<deleting out of date information>

Last edited by pancakex; Jan 17, 2022 at 11:30 pm Reason: <deleting out of date information>
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by pancakex
I had my interview today (Seattle) and was told that you can enter updated license, passport, etc. on their website. You don't have to go in person. ^

Must be new. Last time I got a new passport (last year), I entered the new information into my GOES account, but I was not able to use the GE kiosks until I went to the enrollment office and an officer swiped my new passport into the system.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by rubesl
The Nexus "office" in Detroit is in a trailer at the foot of the Ambassador bridge (it's near downtown), which is about a 25 min. drive from DTW.
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Anyone know if there's easy or accessible parking near the interview site in Detroit? Got my interview later this week.
The Detroit office moved to a different building in October. Pay careful attention to the directions given on the "Interview Scheduled" page in your GOES account, specifically the part that says, regardless of which freeway you're coming from: "use exit [...] Bridge to Canada." They should have said, "Ignore the scary signs that say 'beyond this point you must continue to Canada!'" In fact you want to proceed past those signs, but immediately after the ramps from I-75 N and S merge there is a "service drive" on the left that you turn into with a double fence and automatic gates. After that point the signage is fairly clear, IIRC.

I don't specifically remember handicapped-designated spaces or ramps, but the parking spaces were easy and close.

Note that Google's satellite images are out of date; there has been major construction in that area. The exit from the facility no longer empties onto W Fort St, but instead feeds into a ramp onto I-75/I-96. The satellite image does, however, show the building where the NEXUS office is now (coordinates are the door to the office in satellite view), and there appear to be two or three accessible parking spaces.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 1:56 am

I had my interview today (Seattle) and was told that you can enter updated license, passport, etc. on their website. You don't have to go in person. ^
The CBP agent at Boeing Field (Seattle) told me on December 3rd that, for NEXUS, I can update my address, passport and passport card information but changing a driver license expiration date requires a faxed copy of the license to them or a visit to an enrollment center. Maybe it's different for NEXUS?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:01 pm

Missed interview

I missed my interview back in December and have avoided trying to phone to change it to avoid the obvious frustrations.

Anybody had any luck with the "walk in" concept for the interview or at least walk in to change a missed appointment? Once you miss the interview, you can't see the avaiable time slots.

I'm passing through ATL next week and thought I'd give a try.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:48 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Must be new. Last time I got a new passport (last year), I entered the new information into my GOES account, but I was not able to use the GE kiosks until I went to the enrollment office and an officer swiped my new passport into the system.
What is weird is that, when I got my last passport in 2011, my GOES account was updated without me doing a thing. I still went into LAX and they swiped it in, but it seems that GOES talks to State's computers.

Originally Posted by wesmills
The CBP agent at Boeing Field (Seattle) told me on December 3rd that, for NEXUS, I can update my address, passport and passport card information but changing a driver license expiration date requires a faxed copy of the license to them or a visit to an enrollment center. Maybe it's different for NEXUS?
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but sounds like a vestige of the old system where you had to register the vehicle you were driving across the border. If you had a rental, you literally had to call an enrollment center.

Originally Posted by jsavner
I missed my interview back in December and have avoided trying to phone to change it to avoid the obvious frustrations.

Anybody had any luck with the "walk in" concept for the interview or at least walk in to change a missed appointment? Once you miss the interview, you can't see the avaiable time slots.

I'm passing through ATL next week and thought I'd give a try.
I don't think walk in interviews are allowed, but you can do walk in updates.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:02 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

No walk in interviews for Nexus, but there are reports of walk in interviews for GE depending on the location, traffic level, officer's mood, etc.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite

At my interview for GE at JFK, was told they are glad to take walk-ins subject to availability. They seemed to have a surprising amount of "availability" too. (they had several agents available and only two of us in for our interviews)

The JFK staff was incredibly efficient and friendly. I'd suggest visiting JFK for global entry interviews if you want to get it done soon.

You can easily get to JFK from NYC via transit, or hop from JFK into the city for a quick visit while you are in tfe neighborhood. Just use the AirTrain.

JFK also had quite a bit of availability for appointments within a couple weeks...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by 21A
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

No walk in interviews for Nexus, but there are reports of walk in interviews for GE depending on the location, traffic level, officer's mood, etc.
yup, i'm gonna have to try that with my fiance's interview next week. agent i spoke to was friendly and said it just varies as far as being able to do a walk in
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by 21A
It may be new as I've not seen it mentioned in any of the other threads: in the NEXUS conditional approval stage, before you schedule your interview, there is now a button to switch to Global Entry. In order to do so it charges you the $50 difference (the pricing may be illogical, but it is consistent ).
This seems to be gone again

Either that or it's not available for renewals. I have "both" NEXUS/GE (from back when you applied separately), and am trying to renew, but the appointments for NEXUS are so far out (August? ...?) that there's no way I'll be able to make one. I'd be willing to pay my extra $50 so I can interview closer to home, but the system doesn't want to let me.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 11:00 am

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Originally Posted by der_saeufer
This seems to be gone again

Either that or it's not available for renewals. I have "both" NEXUS/GE (from back when you applied separately), and am trying to renew, but the appointments for NEXUS are so far out (August? ...?) that there's no way I'll be able to make one. I'd be willing to pay my extra $50 so I can interview closer to home, but the system doesn't want to let me.
If you already have an interview scheduled then you can cancel it and should then be able to change - unless as you suggested it's not available for renewals. I was only able to "upgrade" after canceling my interview that was scheduled - which makes sense since I wouldn't want that interview anyway.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:40 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.2; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I'm surprised you have to interview for a renewal. I thought I'd seen reports here that they waive it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.