FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   NEXUS / Global Entry Interview (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/1309098-nexus-global-entry-interview.html)

nvp1985 Jan 31, 2012 7:44 pm

NEXUS / Global Entry Interview

I applied for NEXUS and Global Entry at the same time. As a result, the interview must be conducted at an enrollment center located on the US/CAN border. I live in NYC and just received my notice to schedule my interview.

Typically I have done quite a bit of travel between CAN and US, but currently do not have anything on the horizon. That being said, does anyone have any suggestions of inexpensive ways / particular enrollment centers to schedule with? I was thinking Detroit is a fairly inexpensive flight, but the enrollment center is not at the airport and not sure how far it is relatively from the airport.

Flight to Toronto are a bit pricey at the moment and Buffalo and NF are also expensive / enrollment centers not located at the airport.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

sillypainter Jan 31, 2012 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by nvp1985 (Post 17926114)
I applied for NEXUS and Global Entry at the same time. As a result, the interview must be conducted at an enrollment center located on the US/CAN border. I live in NYC and just received my notice to schedule my interview.

Typically I have done quite a bit of travel between CAN and US, but currently do not have anything on the horizon. That being said, does anyone have any suggestions of inexpensive ways / particular enrollment centers to schedule with? I was thinking Detroit is a fairly inexpensive flight, but the enrollment center is not at the airport and not sure how far it is relatively from the airport.

Flight to Toronto are a bit pricey at the moment and Buffalo and NF are also expensive / enrollment centers not located at the airport.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard!

If you're here I assume you are in the "mileage" game, so listen here....

You can get a R/t award ticket on the British airways Avios program for only 9,000 points, the actual flight is through AA,

I did it that way ( I actually booked it in business class for 18K, but Y is 9K R/t).
The way to get the miles fastest is by getting either a Chase INK Bold or Sapphire preferred card with a 50K points sign up bonus, then you transfer the points to Avios.

Feel free to ask if you need more info.

Antonio8069 Jan 31, 2012 7:56 pm

DTW

Take Spirit to Detroit (DTW). Fare is under $100:
http://www.spirit.com/

InkUnderNails Jan 31, 2012 8:11 pm

From NY, look into a rental car to Buffalo. Drive over and get an afternoon appointment. Start back and spend the night on the way home. Two days rental car plus hotel. Interview center is across the Peace Bridge in downtown Buffalo. It is where I did mine and the whole thing was 1.5 hours.

Southwest has flights ~$115 each way LGA-BUF with a change in MDW or BWI. It is about a 15-20 minute drive to the center from the BUF airport.

nvp1985 Jan 31, 2012 8:21 pm

thanks so much! I will keep you posted on what I do.

Global_Hi_Flyer Feb 1, 2012 8:16 am

If you've got the time & don't feel like driving, Amtrak is a possibility, too.

rubesl Feb 1, 2012 10:00 am

The Nexus "office" in Detroit is in a trailer at the foot of the Ambassador bridge (it's near downtown), which is about a 25 min. drive from DTW. Renting a car would probably be cheaper than taking a taxi roundtrip.

gfunkdave Feb 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 17926261)
From NY, look into a rental car to Buffalo. Drive over and get an afternoon appointment. Start back and spend the night on the way home. Two days rental car plus hotel. Interview center is across the Peace Bridge in downtown Buffalo. It is where I did mine and the whole thing was 1.5 hours.

Southwest has flights ~$115 each way LGA-BUF with a change in MDW or BWI. It is about a 15-20 minute drive to the center from the BUF airport.

I know it's an older thread, but just in case someone finds it whilst searching...

The above is not realistic advice. The drive from NYC to BUF is 7 hours if there is zero traffic, and can easily be 8-9 hours. New York is a deceptively large state, and this is driving from almost one end to the other.

jcresq Feb 29, 2012 11:51 am

Originally Posted by nvp1985 (Post 17926114)

Thanks!

I'm having the same issue...I'm really much more interested in Global Entry than in Nexus, and am wondering if there's any way to avoid or postpone the Nexus interview without jeopardizing my Global Entry application?

N1120A Mar 2, 2012 10:29 am

Originally Posted by jcresq (Post 18104541)
I'm having the same issue...I'm really much more interested in Global Entry than in Nexus, and am wondering if there's any way to avoid or postpone the Nexus interview without jeopardizing my Global Entry application?

I don't see why you wouldn't just do NEXUS too, since you applied and were conditionally approved for it. You saved $50 already, so you might as well reinvest that in getting a wonderful extra benefit (fly out of YYZ T1 once during the transborder rush and you will be happy you got NEXUS).

I'd take the train to Buffalo/Niagara Falls or Rouses Point. Rouses Point might actually be better, because the Champlain Enrollment Center has an iris camera, and the Niagara Falls Center is hit or miss as to whether they have the camera (CBSA says they have it, but they didn't when I went there for my interview - forcing me to go to YYZ later to have it done).

You can also just keep your eyes peeled for a cheap ticket.

alee0729 Mar 2, 2012 10:50 am

Once you're called for a Nexus interview , how long do you have to do it? Already have GE.

N1120A Mar 3, 2012 9:06 am

Originally Posted by alee0729 (Post 18118548)
Once you're called for a Nexus interview , how long do you have to do it? Already have GE.

I'm not sure. I recall being given a range of dates for about 4-6 weeks. The NEXUS letter/website tells you.

tusphotog Mar 3, 2012 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by alee0729 (Post 18118548)

You have 30 days to schedule the interview. You can schedule the interview at least 6 months out, if not more. That's how it was for me back in September when I was conditionally approved.

alee0729 Mar 3, 2012 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 18129501)
You have 30 days to schedule the interview. You can schedule the interview at least 6 months out, if not more. That's how it was for me back in September when I was conditionally approved.

Thanks. Nexus app went in last night. Will see how long it takes and schedule out as far as I can go.

slackinormackin May 4, 2012 2:26 pm

interviews scheduled for next week. any tips?