Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry - Dual Citizenship

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Why is this thread still ongoing? If you have US passport and another passport, all you need to provide for GE application and kiosk is US passport. If you want to disclose, be my guest.

As far as CBP is concern your other passport could be lost/expired/destroyed/out of country/foreign citizenship renounced.

<deleted by moderator>

I'm dual national. Other passport/citizenship not declosed to CBP for GE or NEXUS.

When you enter US, the other passport that matters is the one tied to GE.

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 27, 2016 at 11:32 am Reason: Policy debate/commentary, not practical Trusted Travelers advice/information.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by seawolf
Why is this thread still ongoing? If you have US passport and another passport, all you need to provide for GE application and kiosk is US passport. If you want to disclose, be my guest.

As far as CBP is concern your other passport could be lost/expired/destroyed/out of country/foreign citizenship renounced.

<deleted by moderator>

I'm dual national. Other passport/citizenship not declosed to CBP for GE or NEXUS.

When you enter US, the other passport that matters is the one tied to GE.
1. The GE application asks you to disclose all citizenships. IIRC submitting the application means that you're confirming that all the data enclosed is correct and complete, which it isn't if you've not disclosed all your citizenships.
(The reality is that they usually don't care, but technically you're giving them a false declaration by not stating all citizenships.)
2. There are other people here who have multiple citizenships, none of which are US, and at least one of which makes them eligible for GE. As a foreigner using GE you want to be pretty damn sure your application was correct. And it might still be useful to have more than one passport in the system for such people (e.g. possibly me in the future).

Also: there are definitely cases where CBP very much do care about second citizenships. Just look at the stories of ESTA for dual EU+Iran/Iraq/Sudan/Syria citizens (for citizens who might not even be aware of said second citizenship).
Old Oct 27, 2016, 8:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by televisor
1. The GE application asks you to disclose all citizenships. IIRC submitting the application means that you're confirming that all the data enclosed is correct and complete, which it isn't if you've not disclosed all your citizenships.
(The reality is that they usually don't care, but technically you're giving them a false declaration by not stating all citizenships.)
2. There are other people here who have multiple citizenships, none of which are US, and at least one of which makes them eligible for GE. As a foreigner using GE you want to be pretty damn sure your application was correct. And it might still be useful to have more than one passport in the system for such people (e.g. possibly me in the future).

Also: there are definitely cases where CBP very much do care about second citizenships. Just look at the stories of ESTA for dual EU+Iran/Iraq/Sudan/Syria citizens (for citizens who might not even be aware of said second citizenship).
Completely understand.

Now what I don't get is why is this thread 149 posts and counting? I thought we established everything in the first 50 posts more than a year and a half ago.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:02 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
I always presumed that the "additional passport" line was for additional US passports. I know early on, I was not able to add my other US passports to the system and could only register one; but a few years ago the program changed to allow official, and second ordinary passports (and diplomatic too I presume) to be added which I did. It was very helpful to me to have the additional US passports in the system.

Interesting to know it might now cover foreign ones also.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
1. The GE application asks you to disclose all citizenships.
No, it most certainly doesn't.

There is no part of the on-line application that asks you to list foreign passports/citizenship. You are not required to disclose something that was not asked.

During the interview, if asked, and I certainly wasn't, if you hold any foreign passports, you would be required to answer truthfully or decline to respond at all. You cannot deliberately misrepresent the truth.

So why does the system allow you to enter additional passports? I have two valid U.S. passports. They are both in the system. That's why.

It seems that a lot of people want to read something into this that does not exist.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
No, it most certainly doesn't.

There is no part of the on-line application that asks you to list foreign passports/citizenship. You are not required to disclose something that was not asked.

During the interview, if asked, and I certainly wasn't, if you hold any foreign passports, you would be required to answer truthfully or decline to respond at all. You cannot deliberately misrepresent the truth.

So why does the system allow you to enter additional passports? I have two valid U.S. passports. They are both in the system. That's why.

It seems that a lot of people want to read something into this that does not exist.
I've found a screenshot that would seem to contradict you (and also matches my memory):
http://i2.wp.com/milestomemories.boa...nt-System4.png
http://milestomemories.boardingarea....l-entry-part2/

I.e. yes the application asks you for citizenship information, and allows you to add multiple citizenships.

I'm on a phone right now so I can't get into GOES, but I'm pretty sure when I view my profile there's a separate "citizenships" section in addition to the travel documents section.

I don't disagree that many CBP officers either don't care and/or explicitly don't want the second citizenship, and if applicable a passport, but other officers (e.g. the one who interviewed me) do want a full record.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I've found a screenshot that would seem to contradict you (and also matches my memory):
http://i2.wp.com/milestomemories.boa...nt-System4.png
http://milestomemories.boardingarea....l-entry-part2/

I.e. yes the application asks you for citizenship information, and allows you to add multiple citizenships.

I'm on a phone right now so I can't get into GOES, but I'm pretty sure when I view my profile there's a separate "citizenships" section in addition to the travel documents section.

I don't disagree that many CBP officers either don't care and/or explicitly don't want the second citizenship, and if applicable a passport, but other officers (e.g. the one who interviewed me) do want a full record.
That screenshot does nt at all say that one must disclose all citizenships. It provides the opportunity to disclose whichever ones one wishes to. The only thing that is mandatory is that one must enter the details of at least one citizenship and at least one passport for each citizenship listed.

As far as entering the US is concerned, if one is a US citizen additional citizenships are irrelevant. The US does not recognize them -- US citizens are required to enter on their US passports. As noted above, a US citizen can certainly have multiple US passports and entering data for all them could prove useful.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:44 pm

Programs: GE
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
That screenshot does nt at all say that one must disclose all citizenships. It provides the opportunity to disclose whichever ones one wishes to. The only thing that is mandatory is that one must enter the details of at least one citizenship and at least one passport for each citizenship listed.
The fact that one must enter a passport/travel document for each citizenship added presents an interesting problem, as it is easily possible to hold citizenship for a country yet never hold a passport.

I agree that it seems like the application is targeting US citizens with multiple US passports, and also a leftover from the NEXUS application, where it makes sense to include dual US/Canadian citizenship and both passports. The NEXUS and GE apps overlap so much, I would not be surprised to find out it is simply copied from there.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:48 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
From the CBP INFO Center FAQ:
Applying for Global Entry with more than one passport?

What do I fill out on my Trusted Traveler application if I am a U.S. citizen and also a citizen of another country?

When applying for Global Entry, U.S. Citizens with a U.S. passport and a passport from another country should enter the U.S. passport on the application. However, you must bring both passports to the Enrollment center interview and both passports will be enrolled at that time.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by TWA884
That's quite interesting as the application itself (screenshot referred to above here) makes n reference whatsoever to this supposed requirement! The screenshot shows what I recall seeing whenever I've been through the application/renewal process (for myself and for family members).
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
I am a quadruple citizen and didn't disclose 50% of them when applying. Just seemed too complicated, especially as one of the passports expired in 1982, and I haven't renewed it since.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by bbtrvl
The fact that one must enter a passport/travel document for each citizenship added presents an interesting problem, as it is easily possible to hold citizenship for a country yet never hold a passport.

I agree that it seems like the application is targeting US citizens with multiple US passports, and also a leftover from the NEXUS application, where it makes sense to include dual US/Canadian citizenship and both passports. The NEXUS and GE apps overlap so much, I would not be surprised to find out it is simply copied from there.
I don't know if the system requires a document per citizenship - I'll try to test that on renewal. It's not entirely clear from the screenshot, it obviously will require documents for the first citizenship - but who knows how its programmed regarding further citizenships.

The application also doesn't state that you must disclose all the countries you've visited. I don't think it states that you must disclose all the addresses you've lived at. This argument can be extrapolated infinitely. The one thing that is certain is that at the end you declare that your application is complete and truthful. If you are claiming to only have one citizenship when you have multiple, then I would argue the application is incomplete.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know if the system requires a document per citizenship - I'll try to test that on renewal. It's not entirely clear from the screenshot, it obviously will require documents for the first citizenship - but who knows how its programmed regarding further citizenships.

The application also doesn't state that you must disclose all the countries you've visited. I don't think it states that you must disclose all the addresses you've lived at. This argument can be extrapolated infinitely. The one thing that is certain is that at the end you declare that your application is complete and truthful. If you are claiming to only have one citizenship when you have multiple, then I would argue the application is incomplete.
The requirements t disclose prior addresses and countries visited are quite clear without the word "must".

For addresses, you are asked for, "All addresses that you have resided at during the past five years."
For countries visited you are asked to add to select "Add country" for each country visited during the past five years.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
Then I stand corrected.

That would seem to be a fairly recent change and I have to wonder the reasons for it since U.S. citizens are required to enter the U.S. on their U.S. passport.

This would appear to be mission creep to me.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Then I stand corrected.

That would seem to be a fairly recent change and I have to wonder the reasons for it since U.S. citizens are required to enter the U.S. on their U.S. passport.

This would appear to be mission creep to me.
Which would you believe, the FAQ or the actual application? My money is on the application since asking US citizens with US passports for documents that they can't use to actually enter the US seems illogical. Also, the FAQ is not legally binding while the application is. Has anyone seen the application recently? Does the relevant screen still look the same as what was linked/quoted above?

Last edited by Xyzzy; Nov 2, 2016 at 11:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.