Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back To Southern Africa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2016, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
What a great experience! Canīt really say which of the many beautiful places is my favourite, but it think I mostly envy you for the dive with the seals.
Thank you, offerendum. Yes, the seals were an amazing experience. They were so inquisitive and curious, definitely not shy!
Originally Posted by tennislover9
DanielW wish you could quit your day job and travel the globe reporting back to us on the amazing sights you take in.
Your trip reports are fascinating and it feels as though we are right alongside you the entire time.
Cheers.
Many thanks, tennislover9. Yes, I often daydream of travelling the world full-time, maybe when I win the lottery.
Originally Posted by FlyIgglesFly
Loved the diving with seals part...until the huge jellyfish picture appeared.
Nnnnnnnnnnnope nope nope nope nope.
Haha!!! Our wetsuits were pretty thick for the cold, and the random jellyfish.
Originally Posted by enviroian
Another amazing report sir.

Those diving pics...I'm a diver myself and appreciate them! It looks like you were battling either the tide or current?? Seemed pretty strong. Also that's great white territory no? Seeing all those seals (white sharks' favorite meal ) around you must have been unnerving, no?
Thanks, enviroian. There was some wash from the waves. It was back and forth though, so we didn't drift away from the boat etc.

Didn't see any sharks. I think they mainly hang around the corner in False Bay though. Hopefully I'm not as tasty as the Cape seals though.

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Great report! Looks like you had the same community tour I did in Lesotho.. though I was there on a weekend and missed the school outing!

My wife and I stayed in Hout Bay Manor for a few days at the start of our honeymoon.
Thanks, hauteboy. We got the idea for the village tour when I was reading up on your trip.

Hout Bay must have been a great place for your honeymoon, especially with the great weather and sunny skies.
Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Another great report. Thank you. How did you find the QR787 in Y?
Cheers, ExpatSomchai. Y on the QR787 was ok, decent pitch but with 9 across it is about as roomy as on the 777.
Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Ouch, I am currently out of the country, and remember seeing the comments on Twitter. And now, Cricket season starts...........

Once again, Sir, an absolutely amazing TR with incredible photos. Since you visited Bo-Kaap, did you get some spices from Atlas Trading? THE Malay spice shop in the area - their 12 spice mix is best for Bobotie, which I am sure you are familiar with?

Again, many thanks - it made for a great read and I look forward to many, many more. ^^
Thank you, roadwarrier. I'm sure the SA cricketers will put up a better fight than the rugby players.

Unfortunately we didnt get round to the spices in Bo Kaap. I have had Bobotie a few times in Dubai though, as well as potjie and plenty of braai's.
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Awesome report and photos, DanielW! Really makes me miss South Africa (I've been 3 times in the last 3 years and can't wait to go back!).
Thanks, capedreamer. Yes, South Africa is such a beautiful place, I've got a list already for things to do for our next trip.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
What a joy that was to read and to look at your fantastic photos!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:23 am

your report never disappoint, Daniel. another great one.

Lesotho and Swaziland, both of these countries are so random the last time I heard of them are when me and my brothers had a flag and map game at our younger days. have no idea that they are so so beautiful.

I know that South Africa was colonised by Dutch - like us - but still had a smile seeing a cafe named Batavia, once a name of today's Jakarta.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 2:41 am

Hi Daniel, another very nice report, as usual. One question about trekking up table mountain via the Kirstenbosch botanical garden side, do you think it is suitable for children (age 10) to make either the walk up or down? How many hours did it take your group to walk up? Thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nequine
What a joy that was to read and to look at your fantastic photos!
Thanks, nequine. Took me a while to get this TR together so glad that is appreciated.
Originally Posted by blueferrari
your report never disappoint, Daniel. another great one.

Lesotho and Swaziland, both of these countries are so random the last time I heard of them are when me and my brothers had a flag and map game at our younger days. have no idea that they are so so beautiful.

I know that South Africa was colonised by Dutch - like us - but still had a smile seeing a cafe named Batavia, once a name of today's Jakarta.
Thanks you, blueferrari. Yes, two very unique countries. Lesotho as it is completely surrounded by South Africa, and Swaziland as it is the last absolute monarchy in Africa.

Very interesting about Jakarta's old name, and with the shared Dutch history too.
Originally Posted by Stefan Sip
Hi Daniel, another very nice report, as usual. One question about trekking up table mountain via the Kirstenbosch botanical garden side, do you think it is suitable for children (age 10) to make either the walk up or down? How many hours did it take your group to walk up? Thanks.
Many thanks, Stefan Sip. The climb up Skeleton Gorge wasn't too tough, an active 10 year old should have no issues. The trek took us about ~3 hours. I think 4-5 hours is the normal time but as the weather wasn't good and it was pretty cold we didn't really stop much and just powered on.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:59 pm

Thank you so much for sharing your trip! I, too have just returned from southern Africa, where we also took in a couple safari's. The drought in South Africa has been rough and we saw quite a few carcasses there - many cape buffalo. It's nature - the good and the not-so-good.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
What a treat as usual, DanielW. Thank you for all your trip reports and the amazing pictures and experiences you share with us.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:50 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, LH FTL, QR Silver, Hilton Diamond
Fantastic report and great pictures as usual, thank you so much!!
We just returned from our tour through Namibia and RSA ^

Originally Posted by DanielW

Day 2.

Some more Nyala in the brush.

Are you sure, there are Nyalas and not Kudus?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chancensam
Thank you so much for sharing your trip! I, too have just returned from southern Africa, where we also took in a couple safari's. The drought in South Africa has been rough and we saw quite a few carcasses there - many cape buffalo. It's nature - the good and the not-so-good.
Many thanks, Chancensam. Yes, it was tough seeing the effects of the drought. At Mkhaya they were bringing in feed for the rhino's and other animals, but still saw a few animal remains:

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
What a treat as usual, DanielW. Thank you for all your trip reports and the amazing pictures and experiences you share with us.
Thank you, SAtraveller. Hopefully some more travels and TR's to come soon.

Originally Posted by Lucentis
Fantastic report and great pictures as usual, thank you so much!!
We just returned from our tour through Namibia and RSA ^

Are you sure, there are Nyalas and not Kudus?
Thanks, Lucentis. Yes, I think you're right about the Kudu. I left the animal identification to my South African animal 'expert', Rianda, so may not be 100% correct.

A female Nyala from Wikipedia:

And a female Kudu, with the distinctive shaggy hump on its back:
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:44 pm

Wow, another fantastic trip report. As usual great photos and commentary. Thanks for sharing with us!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halfcape
Wow, another fantastic trip report. As usual great photos and commentary. Thanks for sharing with us!
Thank you, halfcape.

Just writing up my next trip now. Flying upstairs this time.

Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Simply breathtaking pictures all throughout the trip report.

You are a trip report savant.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 11:38 am

Terrific report as always. Did you have a filter filter on your gopro? I didn't use one while diving (deeper than you) in T&C and my pictures would have benefited from one...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Daniel, amazing as always! Thanks for sharing your experiences and your beautiful photos!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apodo77
Simply breathtaking pictures all throughout the trip report.
You are a trip report savant.
Many thanks, apodo77. Haha!!! Yes, all the practise from compiling these TR's certainly helps.
Originally Posted by farbster
Terrific report as always. Did you have a filter filter on your gopro? I didn't use one while diving (deeper than you) in T&C and my pictures would have benefited from one...
Thank you, farbster. I generally use my GoPro for stills, so it's very easy to just adjust the white balance afterwards. A filter may be handy if you're mainly shooting video though and don't want to post-process it.
Originally Posted by channonc
Daniel, amazing as always! Thanks for sharing your experiences and your beautiful photos!
Thanks, channonc. Just packing for my next trip now so hopefully some more pics to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.