Back To Southern Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Back To Southern Africa

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Yet another amazing trip report from Daniel. I started talking to my wife about our next vacation being in South Africa after going through the incredible pictures.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Great report Daniel! Top notch as usual.

*Swaziland is not the last African monarchy, Lesotho and Morocco have monarchs as well.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by canuckshark
Yet another amazing trip report from Daniel. I started talking to my wife about our next vacation being in South Africa after going through the incredible pictures.
Thank you, canuckshark. Yes, I definitely recommend a visit to South Africa, such a beautiful place and I will have to go back again.

Originally Posted by redadeco
Great report Daniel! Top notch as usual.

*Swaziland is not the last African monarchy, Lesotho and Morocco have monarchs as well.
Thanks, redadeco. My apologies, I should have clarified, Swaziland is the last 'absolute' monarchy in Africa: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolu...ute_monarchies
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:16 am

For the past 3 days the cable car to Table Mountain has been cancelled due to high winds.

Somewhat frustrating.

You were lucky to have been able to use it.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
For the past 3 days the cable car to Table Mountain has been cancelled due to high winds.
Somewhat frustrating.
You were lucky to have been able to use it.
Bugger! We were worried about the cable-car closing due to high winds too when we were climbing up, and our guide was regularly checking the status on his mobile phone. Luckily we were ok though and the cable car was sheltered by the winds.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:58 pm

Great report Daniel! Pushed me into getting a jump on planning my trip next year.

Originally Posted by DanielW

Just writing up my next trip now. Flying upstairs this time.
The clean freak/germaphobe in me cringed a bit on noticing the socks..
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Speedbird84
Great report Daniel! Pushed me into getting a jump on planning my trip next year.

The clean freak/germaphobe in me cringed a bit on noticing the socks..
Thank you, Speedbird84. At least he wasn't wearing pajama's.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:43 am

Interesting stuff. Regarding immigration at Johannesburg -- I have just got back from a month in South Africa and Zambia -- we arrived at JNB at 8.30 am on a LH B747-8 from Frankfurt along with three other Jumbo flights. Passport control took 3 HOURS and we were told this is not uncommon at this time of of day. (One elderly man collapsed in the queue.) The return flight from LUN arrived at 2pm and passport control took 20 minutes.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, World of Hyatt 'Globalist , Hilton Diamond, SPG & Marriott platinum
I like most, in your TR is your planning and love for travelling . Many Thanks for Sharing .
Old Nov 20, 2016, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martinzim
Interesting stuff. Regarding immigration at Johannesburg -- I have just got back from a month in South Africa and Zambia -- we arrived at JNB at 8.30 am on a LH B747-8 from Frankfurt along with three other Jumbo flights. Passport control took 3 HOURS and we were told this is not uncommon at this time of of day.
Yikes, I would get antsy after just 1 hour!!!

Originally Posted by marcford
I like most, in your TR is your planning and love for travelling . Many Thanks for Sharing .
Thanks, marcford. Rianda organised our itinerary for Cape Town, her first time doing the planning for one of our trips, and she actually surprised me with quite a cool four days.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by martinzim
Interesting stuff. Regarding immigration at Johannesburg -- I have just got back from a month in South Africa and Zambia -- we arrived at JNB at 8.30 am on a LH B747-8 from Frankfurt along with three other Jumbo flights. Passport control took 3 HOURS and we were told this is not uncommon at this time of of day. (One elderly man collapsed in the queue.) The return flight from LUN arrived at 2pm and passport control took 20 minutes.
Wow, the longest I've spent in line anywhere for immigrations is 70 minutes in IST.

Also, is this really your first post since you joined in 2005?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, WorldPerks
This has to be one of the most exceptional trip reports I've ever read. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ss278
This has to be one of the most exceptional trip reports I've ever read. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.
Many thanks, ss278. Just printing out the boarding pass now for one last trip for 2016, so hopefully another TR on the way soon.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:15 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Thank you - another one well done!! Thanks for showing us another part of South Africa.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Thank you - another one well done!! Thanks for showing us another part of South Africa.
Thank you, worldtraveller73. Keen to do Namibia on the next trip to now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.