Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Iceland & Greenland

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deniah
amazing. wish i was untethered to do these kinds of trips again
Thank you, deniah. Yes, definitely recommend it when/if you are able.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 4:15 pm

Great trip report, on my bucket list for places to see! Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
Stunning report as usual, @DanielW! We FTers need to lobby to include trip reports in Tokyo 2020 to pave the way for a gold medal for you

I'm preparing a trip to Iceland next year and after reading this I think Greenland deserves a visit as well. Question on the side: besides hiking shoes did you bring over any other piece of outdoor gear or everything was provided on-site?

Cheers!
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rstruthe
Great trip report, on my bucket list for places to see! Thanks!
Thank you, rstruthe. Yes, both Iceland and Greenland are definitely a must visit.

Originally Posted by redadeco
Stunning report as usual, @DanielW! We FTers need to lobby to include trip reports in Tokyo 2020 to pave the way for a gold medal for you

I'm preparing a trip to Iceland next year and after reading this I think Greenland deserves a visit as well. Question on the side: besides hiking shoes did you bring over any other piece of outdoor gear or everything was provided on-site?

Cheers!
Many thanks, redadeco. Apart from hiking boots, we just had to bring sufficient clothing, i.e. warm clothes, shell jacket, hat, gloves etc. Crampons, hiking poles, sleeping bag, foam mat etc. were all supplied.

This is the packing list of what was recommended to take: http://www.greenland-travel.com/file...Greenlandx.pdf
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:21 pm

Great trip report as always....blah blah blah. I'm sure your head explodes after all the well deserved accolades! I love seeing you get out and and see the sites.

I was in Iceland in 2013, but on a Silversea cruise. Quite a different experience! But we did visit the same hot dog stand Always a crowd.

Looking forward to the next trip report. And glad to see that someone else collects magnets for the fridge
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Awesome photos and report. As always, it feels like I'm really there!
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Fabulous TR as always - pure joy to read (I'm very behind on FT since the ual family day event at SFO). What wonderful pictures - sorry about the underwater camera but ace that Simone and the scuba company had some pictures for you.

I had trouble seeing the whale carpaccio picture within the Greenland buffet - although the lox looked beautiful. Unless the whale carpaccio resembles lox? Off to google it...
The horse and muskox carpaccio also looked good.

I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of muskox because just last night I was reading a story about a woolly rhino from the Ice Age era, and a musk oxen was mentioned. Apparently they have a strong odor. So it was a joy to see the muskox picture and mention. Amazing to think how long they've been around.

The puffins were very cute.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farbster
Great trip report as always....blah blah blah. I'm sure your head explodes after all the well deserved accolades! I love seeing you get out and and see the sites.

I was in Iceland in 2013, but on a Silversea cruise. Quite a different experience! But we did visit the same hot dog stand Always a crowd.

Looking forward to the next trip report. And glad to see that someone else collects magnets for the fridge
Thank you, farbster. And yes, I really appreciate all the positive feedback and compliments!

The hotdog place had a pretty long queue, I guess the Mr. Bourdain seal of approval must be pretty good for business.

I used to try to buy at least one souvenir from each country I visited, but after around country #60 they started to clutter up the place so fridge magnets seemed like a good alternative.

Originally Posted by capedreamer
Awesome photos and report. As always, it feels like I'm really there!
Thanks, capedreamer, all the photo's also help me to relive my favourite travel memories too.

Originally Posted by gaobest
Fabulous TR as always - pure joy to read (I'm very behind on FT since the ual family day event at SFO). What wonderful pictures - sorry about the underwater camera but ace that Simone and the scuba company had some pictures for you.

I had trouble seeing the whale carpaccio picture within the Greenland buffet - although the lox looked beautiful. Unless the whale carpaccio resembles lox? Off to google it...
The horse and muskox carpaccio also looked good.

I really enjoyed seeing the pictures of muskox because just last night I was reading a story about a woolly rhino from the Ice Age era, and a musk oxen was mentioned. Apparently they have a strong odor. So it was a joy to see the muskox picture and mention. Amazing to think how long they've been around.

The puffins were very cute.
Thanks, gaobest. Yes, the puffins were pretty cute. Apparently some people find them quite tasty as well and they were on a few of the restaurant menu's in Reykjavik too!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 10:43 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Another very fascinating report. It was lucky that you had good weather through the outdoor activities part of the trip. I would imagine that could have the potential of being quite miserable if the weather was poor or the visibility was obscured!

Travel safe.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Another very fascinating report. It was lucky that you had good weather through the outdoor activities part of the trip. I would imagine that could have the potential of being quite miserable if the weather was poor or the visibility was obscured!

Travel safe.
Many thanks, worldtraveller73. Yes, luckily the weather gods stayed on our side. Had some rain but it was quite nice after coming from super dry Dubai.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:47 am
SSZ

Programs: EK EY 9W
Brilliant Daniel!

Simply amazing photos with nice short crisp captions. I have read all your trip reports and always look forward for more of them. Congrats on completing 100 countries!

I was in Iceland last October. It was nice to see the sights again with your perspective. Its an amazing country. What I missed most was the Diamond Beach which I could not do it due to paucity of time. I drove up to the Black Pebble beach near Vik also visited the Crashed Plane in Solheimasandur. Also the water falls on the way. In hindsight after seeing your travels I should have continued to the Diamond Beach.

I was looking for trip reports for Greenland could not find any so was delighted to see you had visited. I was doing a bit of reading up on Kangarlussuaq it was nice to read about your trip. Hope to do the trip some.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SSZ
Brilliant Daniel!

Simply amazing photos with nice short crisp captions. I have read all your trip reports and always look forward for more of them. Congrats on completing 100 countries!

I was in Iceland last October. It was nice to see the sights again with your perspective. Its an amazing country. What I missed most was the Diamond Beach which I could not do it due to paucity of time. I drove up to the Black Pebble beach near Vik also visited the Crashed Plane in Solheimasandur. Also the water falls on the way. In hindsight after seeing your travels I should have continued to the Diamond Beach.

I was looking for trip reports for Greenland could not find any so was delighted to see you had visited. I was doing a bit of reading up on Kangarlussuaq it was nice to read about your trip. Hope to do the trip some.
Many thanks, SSZ. The old DC3 in Solheimasandur was something I wanted to see, but alas not enough time though. Yes, Diamond Beach was quite a spectacle, seeing big chunks of crystalline ice washing in the waves was a really unique expecrience.

Greenland is definitely worth a visit too. Kangerlussuaq was normally just a transit point for tourists, but they have recently tried to develop the tourist industry with the new Air Iceland flights. I got to see quite a lot for my short three day stay anyway.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:11 am

Wow, nice place to see. We visited West coast tour with "USA Travel Online" previous month. We enjoyed a lot at that moment. they also provide us all the facility with good service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.