Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

VECA Airlines | LCC | SAL-MGA | A319 | VU

Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Air travel between Central America has historically been expensive.
Most of the regional flights take an 90 minutes or less, but the fares for a round trip could cost as much as four local monthly minimum wages. Usually US$350 - US$400 per round trip. And last minute fares up to US$800 On Economy.

Naturally companies found difficult to justify such an expense when there are comfortable, albeit slow, international bus services available for between US$25 and US$150 But after 12 hours on a bus, no matter how comfortable, they stop being comfortable. Plus they average about 31mph (50 km/h) on a good day if broder crossings are fast.

That was not limited to small or mid sized companies. Actually one of the largest telecom companies here, discovered it was cheaper to charter a small turboprop, than to pay business class fare once they had a handful of C-Suites travelling together.

Then in 2014 came Veca Airlines
The first Central American Low Cost Carrier, just after our ]flag carrier TA was rebranded by the Colombian AV.

I hadn't had the chance to fly with them until last year. I flew their newest route, SAL-MGA, on one of their two A319. They also fly to GUA and SJO.

Check in was fast, there was no queue, as the flight had about 30 passengers (it's a new route). The airport wasn't crowded either, as they fly that route in non-rush hour.

The A319 taxiing to the gate

The A319 in the gate

A319 inside

Who cares about leg room

When you have an entire row for yourself

And suddenly a 11-14 bus ride become a 50 minute flight at an affordable price. ^^^

That afternoon most of the passengers were non-C-suite business travellers like me, most of them were pleased about the flight, I overheard conversations like:

"Finally we can fly this route. "
"Yeah finally "
"No more 12 hour buses haha "
"Yeah, but you know what... I still take the bus 'via crucis' when I feel like having a day off work "
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
That´s definitively the better option
Old Jan 5, 2017, 9:47 am
TCD

Programs: UA Gold, BA, HHonors, Avis
Thanks, always great to see TRs for unusual airlines!

Its very interesting to see the different LCC models these days. It looks like Veca gives a free checked bag to everyone, but you have to pay for seat assignments? Do they have any food/drink service, or are all the flights too short?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:45 am

I noticed that the fares from Guatemala to San Salvador one way a few years ago were outrageous. I think $300.

The legroom is not bad compared to Air Mauritius and Tap 319 which I believe is 30."

I will check this airline out. LOL only 2 planes.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TCD
Thanks, always great to see TRs for unusual airlines!

Its very interesting to see the different LCC models these days. It looks like Veca gives a free checked bag to everyone, but you have to pay for seat assignments? Do they have any food/drink service, or are all the flights too short?
Yup, a free checked bag is still standard here in flights from SAL. If I recall correctly, only Spirit Airlines is charging for it here.

There was no food/drink service, it is only about 50 minutes from runway to runway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.