Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budapest for a day. OS and LX J-Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
ZRH->ORD
LX A330
Easter Day

Transfer at ZRH was also very easy. Immigration was quick and then a train ride to the E gates for the USA departure.

I had some time, so I searched out the Swiss Senator lounge.

Very fancy coffee machine

Nice selection of wine and spirits

Nibbles

Made-to-order food available. I did not try any, but looked very good.

SQ Big Boy wandering by

I didn't really explore the lounge when I entered, so I didn't discover the Whiskey Club 28/10 until it was time to leave. Still semi-recovering from my late night of drinking in Budapest, it was probably best not to be tempted. Swanky looking setup with an impressive whiskey selection - according to the internet, there are 120 on offer.

Whiskey Club 28/10

A quick walk to the gate to discover quite a chaotic scene. There was a passport check in place which required every passenger on the flight to have their passport scanned at little desks set up in front of the gate. There was a separate desk for business/first/*G, so it only took me a couple minutes. But there was another USA bound flight directly across the terminal and the lines for economy were snaked all over the place.

Finally on board, and great looking cabin. I had chosen an aisle seat toward the rear of the business cabin (center section) and ended up with an empty seat next to me. Otherwise, the flight looked pretty full in J.

Beautiful cabin

Finally time to charge up the phone

Pre Departure Champagne and then another after take off, served with seasoned nuts.

Time for a look at the menu:

And then the meal service

Special distribution of the Lindt bunny in honor of Easter. Nice!

Pre-arrival meal.

Special distribution of a hard boiled egg with Swiss logo, along with some special seasoning and an explanation card. Very classy touch to celebrate a holiday flight.

A final espresso to banish the cobwebs in preparation for landing.

Overall, a most excellent flight. The service was spot-on. Caring and proactive, and always friendly. I can see how Swiss has developed such a good reputation. Makes me want to find a way to experience their First Class cabin.

So the whirlwind weekend has come to an end. Back to work for a bit, though I do have an upcoming vacation back to Thailand soon. Thanks for reading along.

Until the next irresistible fare pops up...Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:49 am

Oh man, you've missed out by not visiting the whisky bar.

I'm not a huge whisky drinker (don't like most of the stuff, honestly), but on the two occasions I've been there the bartenders after quick chat with me presented me with some non-traditional choices that were _excellent_. If you're ever popping by ZRH again, reserve hour or two just to explore that bar. It's amazing.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 12:51 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Ooooh, and now I miss Aromat!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by klausa
Oh man, you've missed out by not visiting the whisky bar.

I'm not a huge whisky drinker (don't like most of the stuff, honestly), but on the two occasions I've been there the bartenders after quick chat with me presented me with some non-traditional choices that were _excellent_. If you're ever popping by ZRH again, reserve hour or two just to explore that bar. It's amazing.
Yeah, I was bummed that I missed out on it this trip. Even if I wasn't ready for multiple samples, it looked like a pretty cool place to hang out.

I was impressed with Swiss and would love to try them out again...and hopefully be better prepared for the 28/10 club.

Originally Posted by helvetic
Ooooh, and now I miss Aromat!
It was my first time trying it. Pretty good on the hard boiled egg.

Last edited by goodeats21; Apr 6, 2016 at 4:50 am
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a nice review. It's fascinating to see how good some carriers J product is when they don't have F. Soup is only in F on BA and LX. Cheese or dessert. Espresso or Cappuccino (much more on OS/ Capp LX F). Ceramic salt & pepper shakers. Proper warm nuts in a ramekin. You get the idea.

I wish BA would have food as good as OS in J and even F. I feel like OS have a real brand identity and are really quite famous for the quality of their food in a country where the cost of food is rather high. It's a bit of an eye opener to see how good the European carriers can do it. Also, I like the way the menu is not pretentious and overselling what is just reheated Tesco ready meals on BA. But the food on OS could be phrased this way given the quality. None of this 'A rare excursion for the Club World wine cellar' nonsense.

I really like whisky so I must try the ZRH SEN E lounge soon and its great they have upped their food game because it has always felt a bit crap.

If only P class was more favourable.

Last edited by hugolover; Apr 5, 2016 at 3:43 pm
Old Apr 5, 2016, 3:54 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Yeah, I was bummed that I missed out on it this trip. Even if I wasn't ready for multiple samples, it looked like a pretty cool place to hang out.

I was impressed with Swiss and would love to try them out again...and hopefully be better prepared for the 18/20 club.

It was my first time trying it. Pretty good on the hard boiled egg.
I would use it all the time on fresh mozzarella and on hard boiled eggs. It's a great seasoning! Just asked my sister who's coming to visit to bring me some.

(I'm Swiss living in SFO)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.