Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines First Class (Pancakes!)+AA Flagship First Class Suites Lounge PDX✈LAX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines First Class (Pancakes!)+AA Flagship First Class Suites Lounge PDX✈LAX

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Exclamation Alaska Airlines First Class (Pancakes!)+AA Flagship First Class Suites Lounge PDX✈LAX

Follow me on Instagram at LPAviation

---

---

---

---

---

---

---

Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper, copyright Karl L. Swartz
---

---

Trip Report 29: Alaska Airlines First Class (Pancakes!) + American Airlines Flagship First Class Suites Lounge PDX✈LAX

---
FOREWORD
---

On March 28th, 2015, US Airways frequent flyer program, Dividend Miles, was fully merged into American Airlines' famous AAdvantage system. When my combined balance came out, it amounted to a little over 35,000 miles -- just enough for a one - way redemption for a three class transcon, perhaps on LAX-MIA?

I explained in part one, High School Is Over: Delta First Class, 757-200s of DL/NW+Hampton Inn FLL✈DTW✈SLC✈PDX, of this three - part adventure how I decided on PDX as the final destination for my combined trip:

Originally Posted by LPDAL
In my quest to fly every airline's domestic first class within the USA, I had crossed every carrier off my list down to four that I needed to catch: Alaska Airlines First Class, JetBlue Mint Suites, Virgin America First Class, and Sun Country Airlines First Class. While I didn't have this goal specifically in mind when I checked out AAdvantage with a little over 40,000 miles in my account, I did have the idea that somewhere in there, I'd love to fit a transcon on American Airlines' 777-200 Flagship First Class Suites on LAX-MIA. Previously, within AA's redemption system I had noted that the saver award level, marked in violet, was 32,500 miles one-way. With my miles in hand and a sweaty pair of palms, I checked out AA's booking system for those elusive SAAver tickets.

And that's where I hit a slight snag. The day right after I flew into PDX on Delta, I'd be arriving near midnight on Saturday, May 30th, 2015. However, the only AA award available the next day for the three class 772 in First was leaving on Alaska Airlines First Class (YAY!) around 9:00 AM on Sunday, May 31st, 2015 in PDX to connect to the Boeing 777 in LAX, meaning I'd have no time at all to experience the other Portland (outside the airport, that is).

I tried to match up other days, but neither airline had a Saturday-Sunday matching-up itinerary that would work with the other (and trying to match up one way award tickets on two separate airlines is absolutely miserable, let me tell you.) even at the furthest away bookable month, which was sometime in 2016. I then checked other destinations in the west that I wanted to visit, Reno, Aspen, Eagle / Vail, Cheyenne, Colorado Springs, Boise...Nothing would result in a match.

Finally, after 6 excruciating hours of fruitless efforts to make Delta and American to play nice, I decided that the tradeoff of not going to be able to actually visit the city was one that I could live with, given the variety of Boeing aircraft and air carriers on this trip. *** I booked both airlines' mileage redemption, and snored away.
My whole trip was based around the SAAver redemption awards of 32,500 miles one way out of PDX, while the Delta reservation sort of "fed" me into the First Class suites of the AA 777 on LAX-MIA. PDX was of particular interest to me because I had long tried to capture Alaska Airlines in a trip report, I was unable to -- Alaska first class fares on FLL-SEA-FLL are regularly near or above $2,000.

Thus, I was delighted to see that I could fly PDX-RNO-LAX-MIA, which would fit both Alaska First Class and Horizon Air's Q400 alongside the 777 on LAX-MIA. However, I discovered that this redemption rate was only available on Saturday, May 30th, the day that I'd have to fly my outbound leg on the Boeing 757-200s of Delta Air Lines.

Maps generated by the Great Circle Mapper, copyright Karl L. Swartz
The Biggest Little City In The World would have to wait until another trip.

Browsing for rates on the correct date of Sunday, May 31st, 2015, I again found a single redemption rate for both AS and AA -- without the fun stop in Reno, however: Alaska Airlines first class on PDX-LAX and American Airlines Flagship First Class Suites on the 777-200 on LAX-MIA. I instantaneously booked that one, as it was the only available rate in a sea of gray "unavailable on this date" indicator boxes.

Hey, at least I still have PDX-LAX in Alaska First Class!

This wouldn't be my first time on Alaska Airlines (or Horizon Air, for that matter.). In the summer of 2002, when my maternal set of grandparents still lived in SFO (they now live in FLL alongside us), they paid for my older brother and I to come with them on a two week long "Journey To Alaska" trip operated by tour group company Abercrombie and Kent, which is not to be confused with young adult clothing brand Abercrombie and Fitch.

A&K features some excellent Alaskan vacations.

Abercrombie and Kent planned an outstanding getaway for us, with gold panning, fly fishing, seaplane rides, and of course, the biggest treat for me was the Alaskan Milk Run on the 737 combis (for my non aviation geek readers, a "Combi" is an airplane configured to carry both passengers and bulk cargo at the same time) to the smaller cities within Alaska. Thus, it would be quite fitting that I would be taking another ride with AS -- an airline I had be introduced to the summer after Kindergarten ended for me, the summer after my senior year ended.

LPDAL, age 7-8, circa summer 2002. I wanted to buy a Husky and bring it home with me but my grandma said the dog probably wouldn't enjoy the heat of Florida.

This nighttrip will be divided up into three separate reports, the first is here: High School Is Over: Delta First Class, 757-200s of DL/NW+Hampton Inn FLL✈DTW✈SLC✈PDX | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk,this one you're reading right now will report on Alaska Airlines First Class, their Board Room Lounge and Delta's Sky Club in PDX, and a bus spotting tour of the LAX ramp along with American Airlines Flagship First Class Suites Lounge in LAX. Finally, the third, which will be my 30th report, will review American Airlines Flagship First Class on their 777-200 and again their associated International First Class lounge in LAX.

Enjoy the ride!

Last edited by LPDAL; Oct 7, 2015 at 9:16 am
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation

---
Portland - OR International Airport Hampton Inn Hotel by Hilton Properties *2*
---

For those of you who read the beginning portion of this journey, High School Is Over: Delta First Class, 757-200s of DL/NW+Hampton Inn FLL✈DTW✈SLC✈PDX | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk, you'll remember my baggage got stuck in Detroit and thus got sent back to my [parents'] residence at my request. If you didn't read the first part;

Originally Posted by LPDAL
Luckily, I managed to wisely utilize my time as the baggage belt started rumbling shortly after I strolled up. I waited patiently for my green rollaboard to show itself after nearly 16 hours of flying. It didn't come off at first, so I waited a bit more, and more, and more, and more, until the baggage belt shut off completely with no more bags on it. What is happening?

Worriedly, I headed over to the baggage desk, where I encountered the most surly, silver - tongued luggage agent that I'd ever had any spoken dialog with. After I explained my situation, he rudely assured me that my bag would be on my next Delta flight.

"I'm sorry, I'm not taking any flights on Delta back home, sir", I replied, and explained my one way mileage ticket on FLL-DTW-SLC-PDX, to which he snarled that most customers take roundtrip mileage itineraries instead. Okay? Not sure how that is relevant, but I resisted becoming rude or belligerent myself (the filter construction is 95% complete! ), and informed him that I'd be taking a combination of Alaska and American Airlines back home the next morning at around 7:00 AM. He then finally told me he would have a baggage agent deliver my bag from "where it was stuck in *rude verbiage* Detroit" down to FLL, and then without any prompting "Good day, sir, my shift is ending.", (with no offer of any toiletry kit or compensation) so I just went out to find the Hampton Inn Shuttle.

I'm really not sure why the agent was being so rude to me. Of course, these agents take garbage from people all day (watch a few episodes of Airline USA on YouTube to see some examples of that), but I just had never encountered such hostility even when I was attempting to be as courteous as possible and also say as little as possible to ease his workload. It also mystifies me that, while I had received AMAZING service from the flight attendants on DTW-SLC, even going to the extent of receiving a hand written thank you note, this person in OR was just outright uncaring. Luckily, my suitcase only had toiletries and clothes in it, and the office garb I was wearing was 99% clean, but I wasn't sure how to feel about how I was just treated as I boarded the dimly lit shuttle over to the Hampton Inn.
I did manage to scrounge up some rudimentary toiletries consisting deodorant, toothbrush / toothpaste, and a small shaving kit from the gift shop located on the ground level of the hotel so I could at least have a shot at being fit for public consumption. Luckily my button down and trousers from the day before weren't dirty at all so that I wouldn't have to brake hard for a pit stop at Brooks Brothers, if there even was one, in PDX.

After I paid my hotel bill, which is becoming more and more of a commonplace occurrence to me, I inquired to the hotel clerk about when the shuttle would be arriving. Unfortunately, she tells me, it just left, so no dice for you! Apparently it ran every thirty minutes, so I spent the time spotting at one of the nearby fences that overlooked Runway 28R.

View from my suite of Runway 28 Right, the active for takeoffs this morning and the same runway I landed on the night prior. I had never imagined I was actually blasting past the hotel I'd be staying at when I was touching down at my destination!

Negative, no hotel shuttle in sight....

One of these vehicles is not like the others....

Luckily, the fence was surrounded only by a marginal line of leafy shrubs making it easy to plane spot.

Compass Airlines' April / May-2008-manufactured Embraer ERJ-175LR (ERJ-170-200 LR) N622CZ begins my session of airplane photography.

....followed by United Airlines' August-2013-manufactured Boeing 737-924(ER)(WL) N68802.

And after a relatively short period, ending with Air Canada Express operated by Jazz October-1989-manufactured De Havilland Canada DHC-8-301 Dash 8 C-GTAQ. C-GTAQ has a very interesting history, having been with many now - defunct Canadian airlines, including Time Air, Presidential Airways, Air Nova, and Canadian Regional Airlines.

I had a bit of a hunch that caused me to walk back to the hotel, feeling that the shuttle was there at the moment and I'd be able to board it. However, it was actually at the nearby Sheraton, three hundred feet away! I huffed and puffed and sprinted in Kenneth Cole dress shoes in the direction of the other lodging facility, barely making it aboard while profusely breathing, which driver found quite humorous! I, on the other hand, was just glad to be aboard.

Barely made it to the shuttle bus! Hooray!

Dropped off at PDX, notice the terraformed parking garage and the sunshade that is translucent so sunlight can still shine through.

Last edited by LPDAL; Oct 3, 2015 at 10:50 am
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

KPDX (Portland International Airport / Portland - Columbia Super Airport / Swan Island Municipal Airport) ✈ KLAX (Los Angeles International Airport / Los Angeles Airport / Mines Field)

• Airline: Alaska Airlines
  • Airline IATA Code: IATA Code # AS
  • Airline IACO Code: IACO Code # ASA
  • Airline Callsign: Radio Callsign ALASKA
  • Airline Flight Number: # AS568 (IATA) / ASA568 (ICAO)
  • Aircraft / Equipment Used for Flight : Boeing 737-890(WL)
  • Aircraft / Equipment Registration: Registration # N562AS
  • Airline Aircraft / Equipment Fleet Number: # 562
  • Aircraft / Equipment Nationality: United States of America - FAA -
  • Registered Aircraft / Equipment
  • Aircraft's First Flight: October 13th, 2006
  • Aircraft's Age as of Date of Flight: 8.8 Years Old as of Sunday, May 31st, 2015
  • Aircraft Test Registration: N562AS (United States of America)
  • Aircraft Config: C16Y141, formerly C16Y148 as N562AS with Alaska Airlines as of January 1st, 2014
  • Aircraft Construction Number (MSN) : # 35091
  • Aircraft Line Number: # 2084
  • Aircraft Delivery Date: To Alaska Airlines as N562AS: October 25th, 2006
  • Aircraft Powerplant (s) : 2x CFMI CFM56-7B26 High Bypass Turbofan Engines
  • Aircraft Owned by / Leased from: LEASED from RBS, formerly LEASED from SMBC as N562AS with Alaska Airlines as of June 1st, 2012
  • Meal: Snack (Light Meal)
  • Cabin: Alaska Airlines First Class
  • Seat Assignment: 1A
  • A/C Equipped with IFE: No
  • A/C Equipped with Wi-Fi Wireless Internet Access: Yes, GoGo Inflight Wi-Fi Available for purchase
  • Airline Flight Date: Sunday, May 31st, 2015
  • Boarding Call Time: 8:50 AM PST, Sunday, May 31st, 2015
  • Boarding Zone: 1, First Class
  • Departure Time: 9:30 AM PST, Sunday, May 31st, 2015
  • Departure Gate / Jetway: Gate / Jetway C23, Concourse C, PDX
  • Arrival Time: 11:44 AM PST, Sunday, May 31st, 2015
  • Arrival Gate / Jetway: Gate / Jetway 69A, Terminal 6, LAX
  • Time Aloft: 2 hours 3 minutes (123 minutes)
  • Filed Speed: 450 KIAS
  • Filed Cruising Altitude: 37,000 feet
  • Flight Distance: Direct: 835 SM | Planned: 884 SM | Flown: 910 SM
  • Routing Waypoint (s) : C23 PDX CASCD2 JOGEN Q7 AVE SADDE6 LAX 69A

FLIGHT DATA SOURCE (S):

1. PlaneSpotters.Net Airframe Data

2. PlaneSpotters.Net Airline Data

3. FlightAware Live Flight Tracking Data

4. Experience First Class | Alaska Airlines

5. Alaska Beyond Delicious | Alaska Airlines

6. Aircraft Information 737-800 | Alaska Airlines

7. Board Room Airport Lounge | Alaska Airlines

8. Board Room Location Guide - Alaska Airlines

9. Delta Sky Club | Delta Air Lines

---

---

Boarding passes for this flight. Top: 8.5'' x 11'' Printer Paper; Middle: Agent - Printed Receipt Stock; Bottom: iPhone iOS 8 Passbook Mobile Boarding Pass

FlightAware for this flight. Copyright © FlightAware 2015

Just past World War I, in the 1920s, the entire nation was becoming enamored with the concept or airplanes and flying, Portland, Oregon, being one of them as it already had a sizable metropolitan area and population. Multiple rudimentary airstrips were used until 1925 when the cCity of Portland requested that funds be appropriated from the Port of Portland to purchase 256 acres of Swan Island, the present day neighborhood of Overlook, OR, to build an official airport for the area. Groundbreaking begun in 1926, followed by a dedication of the facility by world - famous translantic pilot Charles Lindbergh in 1927, and finally became operational in 1928.

The Port of Portland's Swan Island Municipal Airport was the precursor to the modern Portland International Airport.

Numerous problems, including runways too short for modern aircraft, the site of SIMA being very lowly elevated in comparison to nearby structures causing takeoffs and landings at the airport to be extremely difficult, and lack of land led the City of Portland to again petition the Port of Portland to build a more modern facility elsewhere, with SIMA closing in 1940.

A promotional postcard of the Portland - Columbia Super Airport shortly after it commenced operations.

In 1936, the City of Portland purchased 700 acres of land nearby both the Columbia River and Columbia Slough south of Portland's city center, finishing the brand-new "Portland - Columbia Super Airport" in 1940. This airfield consisted of five runways which formed an asterisk ("*"), a few of which were demolished for space for a new terminal that opened in 1959 and is still in use to this day, albeit heavily renovated and redesigned. Through the 1980s and 1990s, the airport was extensively enlarged and expanded to meet the large passenger demands of growing air service to the facility.

A postcard of PDX circa 1959 with United Airlines November-1958-manufacured Douglas DC-8-21 N8004U, which was scrapped in 1981 at Kingman Airport, Arizona (IATA: IGM, ICAO: KIGM).

Delta Air Lines attempted to make PDX a hub throughout the 1980s and 1990s, but this operation was largely closed down by 2001.

In 2000, work began to construct Concourse A, B, and C of the present day PDX, which would eventually materialize to form a H-shaped layout designed to be publicly accessible -- not just for airline customers. Zimmer Gunsul Frasca Partnership spearheaded the design and construction operation, which finished on September 10th, 2001 when the airport was linked to the city by way of the Port of Portland's light rail line. There was to be a massive celebration of the modern and welcoming terminal, but the next day, the September 11th attacks occurred and the industry changed forever. The new concourses, filled with restaurants, retail outlets, and themes of the nearby Columbia River, designed to be used by the public, was sealed off shortly thereafter permanently by TSA checkpoints permitting only flying passengers.

Alaska Airlines First Class check in desks at PDX.

I didn't have my small green suitcase to check, but as this would probably be my only AS segment for another long while, I wanted to receive some cardstock boarding passes from an agent -- only to find out that agent printed tickets, much like Delta, are on receipt paper as well. In addition, they are 99% identical to the ones you can print out at home, which was a pretty weird sight to see. It probably streamlines the boarding pass scanning process, but was kind of disappointing for a ticket - collector like me.

The TSA 'officers' wannabepoliceofficers at the security checkpoint were as "polite" as TSA employees usually are, and for once I made it through their checkpoint without feeling I was being violated. After marveling at the somewhat massive area post security, I made a straight beeline to the Board Room, Alaska Airlines' lounge brand, as I hadn't been in one up until that point.

PDX's massive open - ended finger connector which is located in the lower left corner of the "H" shaped terminal.

I love the pale aqua blue color of Alaska Airlines' April / May-2003-manufactured Boeing 737-990(WL) N318AS "Disneyland" logojet!

Heading down to the board room through the upper left "stick" of the H-shaped terminal.

There it is! Let's head inside...What awaits me?

There are only four Alaska Airlines Board Rooms in existence and operation as of this writing in early fall of 2015 -- one here in Portland (Oregon), one in Anchorage, Alaska, one in Los Angeles, California, and the final one in Seattle, Washington State. Like European carriers such as British Airways, Lufthansa, and KLM, Alaska Airlines gives all revenue and mileage - ticket premium cabin customers lounge access, which is highly unorthodox in the domestic air service market of the USA. Usually, when compared with Delta Air Lines' Sky Clubs, United Airlines' United Clubs, and American Airlines Admirals Clubs, which do not normally grant access to customers who purchased domestic first class tickets alone without any other method of entry to their respective clubrooms.

While I checked in with the quite friendly agent behind the desk, we had a bit of small talk starting with where I hail from -- well, the somewhat infamous South Florida, more specifically, Fort Lauderdale. [I've had some people ask me why I just don't say "Lauderdale by the Sea", and the answer to that inquiry is that it comes across to most people as "This person lives in Fort Lauderdale, right by the sea!" No, no, Lauderdale by the Sea is a separate municipality.] Luckily, the agent seems to know where that is and without request, hands me another two receipt paper boarding passes.

The main thoroughfare of the PDX Alaska Airlines Board Room.

From the time I booked this trip until the point I was entering my first BR, I was wondering if AS's lounges held any significant differences against the offerings I'd become accustomed to, mostly on the east coast, from United, Delta, and American. In that regard, the first things that I noticed were the automatic pancake machine 9000 (otherwise known as POPCAKES ), of course the entrance policy extending access to all revenue and mileage first class ticket holders, and the general attitude of the staff being exceptional in quality -- I can't quite nail the bullseye on that one, but it just seemed that they all wanted to be working at AS and actually enjoyed their jobs rather than having the seniority-grandma aura that has characterized lounge agents into "dragons" on various frequent flyer sites.

I hadn't chosen to indulge on the Hampton Inn's breakfast selections so naturally I dropped my backpack at a seat and ran full speed over to the automatic pancake machine in glee! PopCakes Inc. was started by Marek Szymanski, a man who loved pancakes for breakfast but heavily disliked the effort he needed to put forth to make them. After several prototype apparatuses, Szymanksi began manufacturing PopCake machines en masse in 2004. Alaska Airlines is known for these pancake machines by frequent flyers, even acknowledging that fact on their official blog.

The machine is really simple -- press the big yellow button, and several seconds later, a small pancake drops out to the tune of a faint "pop" sound, which gives the automated cooker its name. If you press it multiple times, it shoots rapid fire pancakes! Nonetheless, these were very good. And since I'm all about details, I had to discover how much one of these PopCake babies would cost for my first apartment: $3,700, not including the separate pancake mix. OOF! I'll stick to the Board Rooms instead. :P

The pancake machine gun is located next to a smattering of traditional toppings such as maple syrup, jams, and butter. Other breakfast food include hot oatmeal, fresh apples, fresh bananas, pastries, and various breads.

Coffee is a 100% mandatory partner for Board Room pancakes in my opinion, and of course since Pacific Northwest folks are very tribal and loving towards their hometown brands, Starbucks is prominent.

Planespotting and unlimited food: Ergo, a very happy Colby. Pushing back for a departure is N532AS, Alaska Airlines' May / June-2010-manufactured Boeing 737-890(WL), that has not undergone split scimitar conversion as of yet.

Having had my first excellent impression of Alaska Airlines' Board Room lounge, I once again ventured out into PDX to explore the rest of the terminal that I hadn't seen yet. After making a short jaunt to a souvenir store to pick up some Portland goodies for family and friends back home in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, I stumbled upon the Delta Air Lines Sky Club and got in with my membership card (as, you know, Delta doesn't allow any Joe-Shmoe-LPDAL-domestic-first-class-obsessed-avgeek in :P) to take a few pictures for my report. In doing so, I realized my flight's boarding time was only 20 minutes away!! I hoofed it to my gate, C23, stopping along the way to spot of course () and walked up just as first class boarding began. The timing was so perfect that it felt weird...

Grabbing some PDX souvenirs for the fam, most of the retail spaces in PDX have these pop culture pieces of art work primarily focusing on Portland and the Columbia Rivers' history.

Heading across the linking "dash" part of the H-shaped-terminal to get to Concourse D, which was the same area I'd arrived in the prior night.

Doing some spotting all the way, as the good aviation geek I am! ^ As with the other Pacific state, Hawaii has its own airline as well. Here we see Hawaiian Airlines January-2015-manufactured Airbus A330-243 N375HA. N375HA is incredibly new, having only been delivered new to HA on February 24th, 2015!!

Isn't it just weird to come across a completely silent terminal in a busy international airport? I'm being completely serious, this area of the concourse was completely devoid of sound for being PDX's intercontinental gateway...

They have a small museum dedicated to the namesake of the international terminal, former Portland Governer Victor G. Atiyeh. Of course, all I notice is the photograph of Air China Cargo February-1995-manufactured Boeing 747-412F B-2409.

The somewhat ornate entrance to PDX's Sky Club, with the now-old-and-beloved carpet.

Just as nice as any other SC, but much darker. Feels like a dungeon in here, almost!

They definitely score points for locating the buffet adjacent to the windows overlooking all the awesome airport action, though note that I had to use flash in this shot because the candles lighting the area wouldn't permit a clear picture. :P

The usual suspects on offer for breakfast in PDX's Sky Club.

Both PMUS and PMAA departure boards are still present in PDX.

Loading baggage into a pre-merger American Airlines MD-80 from a legacy US Airways baggage wagon? Who would have guessed?

My ride down to Los Angeles this morning would be Alaska Airlines' September / October-2006-manufactured Boeing 737-890(WL) N562AS, with split scimitar winglets!!! ^^^ Notice that AS marks the ship number, in this case, 562, above the middle section of the cockpit windows. This is something more commonly seen abroad than here in the US, so it was a bit strange to see.

What time is it? FLYING TIME!

Boarding my very first Alaska Airlines first class flight. I am impressed so far, let's see how their inflight service plays out!

I was given a very warm welcome aboard by the two flight attendants stationed in the forward galley, and directed to my seat, 1A. Bulkhead kneeroom in the first class cabin was sufficient, but of course being sat in this location means limited leg extension area as there is a solid wall right in front of you. Nevertheless, since I don't extend my legs that much except in flat bed seats, all that really mattered was the knee space, and there was plenty enough for my average sized legs. Another reason I assigned myself into this row was the bulkhead itself -- nearly all of the forward walls in AS airplanes are coated in 3D soft pattern carpeting, which really adds a touch of class to the otherwise drab interior of just any old Boeing 737-800.

I just LOVE it when these shots come out so clear, in fact I think this is one of the best narrowbody cabin shots I've captured so far. Thank you, Nikon DSLR D5200!

My seat, 1A, with water bottles but no blankets, pillows, or headphones.

All that really matters to me in this case is knee room, so the lack of leg extension area really didn't bother me. Note that to avoid impeding the already limited space, the literature holder for both seats is located on the lower left wall.

And, of course, the signature feature of AS aircraft, the fuzzy bulkheads. The bottom part that isn't as patterned is soft, while the Native American mosaic - like portion is very firm.

eMPower ports with both standard and USB outlets, both lighted for use in the dark.

Small cocktail table a tad above the mentioned power sources.

Same Dasani waters as on Delta...Speaking of Delta...

At about the middle of the boarding process, a pair of twin sisters showed up and took seats 2A and 2B. As the last coach passengers showed up, one of them discovered that her iPhone was missing and alerted the flight attendant to this; who then reported it to the captain. The captain attempted to dial the phone while the other sister tried to use Apple's Find My iPhone, which is part of their iCloud suite, and at one point even both gate agents were trawling the jetway for the missing handset, while I clutched my DSLR to my chest with a death grip as I had experienced something similar to this months back. To put a long story [trip report] short, my DSLR was stolen in the E Concourse TSA Checkpoint of MIA only but a few days from Christmas. In mid-January-2015, the Miami - Dade Airport Police recovered it and returned it to me in pristine condition. This woman, however, was not so lucky even though the staff held the flight for a few minutes to locate the phone.

Alaska Airlines does not have in - seat audio or video entertainment, so all safety briefings are done the old fashion way: by live demonstration! On longer flights, portable video players, DigEPlayers or something like that, are available free to first class passengers and for a small charge for main cabin guests for rent. They weren't offered on this flight, however.

Just before we pushed back, the captain picked up the public address system receiver and warmly welcomed the whole aircraft on board, telling us that he had worked "for this great, all-American company for 30 years" and that he couldn't have chosen a better airline to work at, followed by the fact that he specifically requested the flight attendants working this flight from their supervisor before he came into work that morning as he felt they always gave the best service to the passengers. It's always great to know that even people of age still have the spark for the industry they work for even after all the mostly - perceived reductions in quality in service and other factors.

Flip the Dolphin is one of the Frontier Airlines animals featured in their commercials, and he always gets stuck going to cold destinations instead of the beach - like ones his friends are. Here he is featured prominently on F9's March-2004-manufactured Airbus A319-112 N927FR as we push back from Gate 23.

FAA KPDX Airport Diagram with our taxi path to our departure runway, Runway 28L, marked in orange.

• UNCONTROLLED TFC AT PEARSON FIELD VANCOUVER WA 3 NM W OF RY 10L THLD ON EXTDD CNTRLN.
  • (E143-20) LCZR ONLY.RWY 21.
  • (E94) WSFO/WSO/FW/RFC.
  • AREA OF TWY T BTN M AND E3 NOT VISIBLE FROM TOWER.
  • ACFT AUTHORIZED TO UTILIZE THE NORTHWEST RAMP WILL BE TOWED TO/FROM THIS RAMP.
  • AT THE WEST END ARM/DEARM AREA ON TWY C NO ACFT OF ANY TYPE MAY TAXI PAST THE ARM/DEARM AREA WHILE IT IS BEING USED.
  • ARPT CLSD TO NON-POWERED ACFT EXCP IN EMERG.
  • BEARING STRENGTH: RWY 03-21 ST 175, RY 10L-28R ST175, RY 10R-28L ST175.
  • JASU - 4(A/M32A-86) (MC-11) 1(MA-1A).
  • FUEL - A (AIR BP - ATLANTIC AVIATION SVCS. C503-331-4220) J8(MIL) (NC-100LL, A)
  • FLUID - LHOXRB.
  • OIL - O-128-133-148(MIL).
  • MISC: FLT NOTIFICATION SVC, ADCUS, AVBL.
  • ANG : PPR/OFFL BUS ONLY. BASE OPS OPR 1500-2300Z++ MON-FRI EXC HOL.; DSN 638-4390, C503-335-4390. CTC BASE OPS 15 MIN PRIOR TO LDG AND AFTER DEP ON 281.2. TRAN QUARTERS NOT AVBL. CAUTION: OBST LIGHTING IS NOT NVD COMPATIBLE. NVD NOT AUTHORIZED WHILE AIRBORNE IN VCNTY OF AFLD.
  • TWY V CLSD TO ACFT WITH WINGSPAN GREATER THAN 135 FT. ACFT WITH WINGSPAN GREATER THAN 91 FT PROHIBITED FROM TURNING WESTBOUND ONTO TWY A FROM TWY V UNLESS UNDER TOW.
  • ANG: SEE FLIP AP/1 FOR SUPPLEMENTARY ARPT INFO. HAZARDOUS BIRD COND EXIST. PHASE 1 MAY-OCT, PHASE II NOV-APR. CURRENT BIRD WATCH CONDITIONS ARE NOT REPORTED ON ATIS.
  • TWY W BETWEEN TWY A & THE GEN AVIATION RAMP CLSD TO ACFT WITH WINGSPAN GREATER THAN 95 FT. ACFT WITH WINGSPAN BETWEEN 79 FT AND 95 FT MUST BE TOWED. TWY K BETWEEN THE NORTH RAMP AND THE GEN AVIATION RAMP CLSD TO THROUGH TFC.
  • TWY T BTN EXITS B5 & B6 CLSD TO ACFT WITH WINGSPAN OF 118 FT AND GREATER.
  • NSTD YELLOW PRK SPOT DESIGNATORS AND EQPT TOOL BOX LCTN PAINTED ON RAMP. PLEASE CTC BASE OPS OR REQ FOLLOW ME IF NOT FAMILIAR WITH PANGB PRK PROCEDURES.
  • TWY C3 CLOSED TO ACFT WITH WINGSPAN EQUAL TO OR GREATER THAN 79 FT.
  • PDX HAS FACILITY CONSTRAINTS THAT LIMIT ITS ABILITY TO ACCOMMODATE DIVERTED FLIGHTS AND MAINTAIN THE AIRPORTS SAFE OPERATION DURING IRREG OPS. ACFT OPERATORS SHOULD CTCT THE ON-DUTY ARPT OPS SUPERVISOR (AOS) FOR AIRSIDE AT (503)460-4134 TO COORDINATE DIVERTED FLIGHTS EXCEPT IN THE CASE OF A DECLARED IN-FLIGHT EMERGENCY.
  • ACFTT WITH WINGSPAN GREATER THAN 118 FEET ARE PROHIBITED FROM TURNING EASTBOUND ON TWY C FROM SOUTHWESTBOUND ON TWY F UNLESS UNDER TOW.
  • MIGRATORY & WINTERING FLOCKS OF LRG WATERFOWL ON & INVOF APRT. HEAVY SEAGULL ACTIVITY SEP THRU APR; EXPECT HIGH NMBR OF BIRDS YEAR AROUND; CK LCL ADVISORIES.
  • NOISE ABATEMENT PROCEDURES IN EFFECT; CALL NOISE OFFICE AT 503-460-4100. RY 28L ARRIVALS ARE NOISE SENSITIVE, EXPECT APCH TO 28R WITH TRANSITION TO 28L.
  • 180 DEGREE TURNS BY ACFT WEIGHING IN EXCESS OF 12500 LBS PROHIBITED ON RY 10L/28R, RY 03/21 AND ALL TWYS.
  • TYPE-H BAK-12B(B) (1625 FT).
  • TYPE-H BAK-12B(B) (2000 FT).

One of the cute little caterpillar - looking trainsets of the city's light rail network passed by us just before we turned onto the runway, I'll be back PDX, I promise.

FAA KPDX CASCADE TWO (CASCD2.CHISM) RNAV Departure, our way out of Portland, Oregon this morning.
---
VIDEO - Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-890 CFMI CFM56-7B26 *CASCADE TWO (CASCD2.CHISM) RNAV TAKEOFF* from Portland International Airport (OR) - VIDEO
If you are having trouble watching this video due to slow loading times on Flickr, Click HERE / On this sentence to download it directly to your computer for viewing.
---
Our takeoff roll on this flight was relatively tame compared to the previous days' 757s, smoothly rolling down 28R picking up momentum before we bounced off the pavement and into the baby blue summer sky of Oregon. As you can see in the CASCADE TWO departure plate posted above, we made somewhat of a sharp 180-degree-turn at waypoint KELYY to proceed south along the rugged mountain chains of the local topography, providing stunning views and excellent photography opportunities. As I've said before, we don't have any mountainous geography in Fort Lauderdale (unless you count trash mountain), so seeing such an abundance of peaks as we climbed out of OR was a real treat!

Always nice to see reminders of home [boatyard], even though I dislike Fort Lauderdale somewhat, it is still where I spent the majority of my minority.

It's just so beautiful up here!

Turning around to head south, just...breathtaking...

Hey PDX, be back soon!

FAA KPDX Sectionals, a chart of the local area I was flying over during the beginning portion of this flight.

To give you an idea of scale for the region: two of the highest snow - capped mountain peaks literally poking out of the cloud cover. Meanwhile, I'm stuck on a beach in Florida. The one on the left is Mount Adams across the Columbia River in Washington State, and the rightmost is Mount Hood (Thank you to PVPremier and JChilders for this information ).

Crossing the Oregon / California border just as meal service begins.

Most confusingly, a snack in airline industry parlance is actually a light meal -- not the definition I've become used to when using the word in everyday dialog which generally constitutes a bag of chips or a single red apple. Instead, I'm presented first with a choice of drink and then a fruit, nut, cracker, and cheese plate by the polite flight attendants. Most humorously, as soon as I buy a pass for the inflight Wi-Fi and enter my YouTube application, the first advertisement to come up via Alaska Beyond is a Delta "commercial" -- in quotes because it was actually the five minute and thirty second Delta Internet Meme safety video! The safety video wasn't the funny part, the funny part was that Delta had infiltrated Alaska Beyond with their safety videos...Sorry Delta, you may be a nice airline, but I've flown on you way too much, especially having been raised flying the widget. Now, it is time to give Chester a turn!

Can't go wrong with unlimited coffee in the morning! ^

Meal service, a healthy snack plate. Prior to this flight, I'd never tried brie, but it was surprisingly delicious! Everything else was as good as fresh fruit, cheese, and crackers could be, but I wish there were bigger portions as I'd finished the entire dish off in less than four minutes.

Delta infiltrating Alaska Beyond?!?!?! In all seriousness, this was quite funny to see. Also, Bill Engvall is my all time favorite comedian!

Cabin during cruise, and nearly everyone in first class was asleep.

At some points in this flight we were very, very, very close to the mountains as in this instance where, again, the peaks were rising above cloud level!

More desert regions appear as we fly southward down the extent of California to LAX.

The Secretary of State of the United States of America hereby requests all whom it may concern to permit the citizen/national of the United States named herein to pass without delay or hindrance and in case of need to give all lawful aid and protection.

Beginning our descent into the Los Angeles metropolitan area, the marine layer featured prominently south of the mountains. This phenomenon is known colloquially as "June Gloom" and usually is gone by afternoon.
---
VIDEO - Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-890 CFMI CFM56-7B26 *DUAL APPROACH WITH VIRGIN AMERICA AIRBUS, TOUCHDOWN, ROLLOUT, AND TAXI - IN* into Gate 69A at Los Angeles International Airport - VIDEO
If you are having trouble watching this video due to slow loading times on Flickr, Click HERE / On this sentence to download it directly to your computer for viewing.
---

And I thought South Florida was overdeveloped....

Once we cleared the marine layer, the seatbelt sign was illuminated and a great flight with Alaska Airlines was coming to an end. Nooooo!! However, I was extremely glad I had assigned a seat for myself on the left side of the plane, as initially I was unable to obtain a visual fix on the downtown city proper of Los Angeles....UNTIL WE FLEW ONLY 800 FEET ABOVE IT!! Seriously, I was amazed how close we were!! Once we were past the skyline, we lined up alongside a Virgin America narrowbody Airbus and performed a dual approach, pretty much keeping up with the competitor airframe until very short final where they overtook us and touched down a thousand feet past the piano keys, followed by us on the opposite side of the gigantic airfield. Luckily, we didn't run into any hang ups that would lengthen the already long taxi times at LAX, making a quick run into Gate 69A. Of course, I visited the cockpit and had a nice chat with the flight crew before I deplaned!

Last edited by LPDAL; Sep 25, 2015 at 10:13 am
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

FAA KLAX SADDE SIX (SADDE.SADDE6) Arrival procedure, our approach plate for this morning's landing in LAX.

FAA KLAX Sectionals, which comprise some of the busiest airspace in the United States.

Downtown Los Angeles, city proper. These pictures really do not do the action I experienced on this flight justice, in reality, they appeared much close than in these pictures, almost like I could reach out and grasp them...

You may notice that nearly all the gigantic skyscrapers are topped with helipads. This is because the City of Los Angeles mandated, quite controversially, in 1974 that all buildings above a certain height must have helipads atop their roofs. This was met by pushback from city politicians, residents, and some architects alike, who criticized the regulation for making the L.A. skyline "flat-topped all the way." Some others, however, feel that the "flat topped" skyline is what makes the city's thoroughfare unique, and the rule was also heavily backed by the Los Angeles Fire Department. Fourteen years later, when the First Interstate Building was burning in a catastrophic and destructive blaze, five extremely lucky people were plucked off the rooftop helipad by helicopter. However, Mayor Eric Garcetti and Councilman José Huizar announced on September 29th, 2014, that new high rises would no longer be required to have rooftop helipads for emergencies.
Today, the Los Angeles Metro Area is home to 54 FAA-recognized and coded heliports that are open and actively maintained; however, most require a landing permit and / or consent from the owner of the heliport.

And the entirety of the skyline one last time!

U-turning to line up with LAX's Runway 24 Right....

Right alongside a Virgin America Airbus! Air to air photography is very hard in my experience, so I can't make out the registration, but I'm glad this photo came out with a shred of clarity, at least...

Extremely short final right over the LAX sign. I know it's supposed to look imposing on the ground, but they look absolutely adorable down there!

• NOISE SENS ARPT ON WESTERLY TAKEOFFS NO TURNS BEFORE CROSSING SHORELINE OVER-OCEAN APCHS UTILIZED 0000-0630.
  • PRACTICE INSTRUMENT APPROACHES & TOUCH AND GO LANDINGS ARE PROHIBITED.
  • NMRS BIRDS ON AND IN VCNTY OF ARPT.
  • RWY 25L PREFERRED EMERG RWY.
  • SIMUL ACFT OPNS PROHIBITED ON TWYS T AND H9 BTWN RWYS 07L/25R AND 07R/25L.
  • TURB MAY BE DEFLECTED UPWARD FM THE BLAST FENCE 180 FT E OF RWY 25R.
  • SIMUL ACFT OPNS PROHIBITED ON TWY H2 AND G BTN RWYS 07L/25R AND 07R/25L.
  • ASDE-X IN USE. OPERATE TRANSPONDERS WITH ALTITUDE REPORTING MODE AND ADS-B (IF EQUIPPED) ENABLED ON ALL TWYS AND RWYS.
  • MILITARY RSTD: ALL MIL ACFT OFFL BUS ONLY, MIN 24 HR PPR, CTC 61 ABW/CP FLT OPS DSN 633-3779/4014, C310-653-3779/4014.
  • MILITARY AF: ALL MIL AIRCREWS MUST CTC 61 ABW/CP FLT OPS FOR PRK LCTN/INSTR. NO GOVT TRANSPORTATION, QTRS OR SECURITY AVBL. VIP NOTIFICATION PRO APPLY. USER FEES ASSESSED USING AVCARD CREDIT. CTC ATLANTIC AVIATION FBO 131.6 INBD. INBD RELAY ETA, VIP CODE, SVC RQ 30 MIN PRIOR TO ARR.
  • WESTBOUND WIDEBODY 4-ENGINE ACFT ON TWY C PROHIBITED FM SOUTHBOUND TURNS ONTO TWY P.
  • TWY D BTN TWY D-7 AND D-8 (NORTH OF TERMINAL ONE) CLSD TO ACFT WITH WINGSPAN GREATER THAN 157 FT.
  • WEST REMOTE GATES: ACFT USE OF OPEN GATES AS TAXI PATH IS PROHIBITED (GATES 206, 207,208,209).
  • TWY E13 S OF TWY E CLSD TO ACFT WITH WINGSPAN OVER 125 FT.
  • ACFT TXG VCNTY TERMINALS REQUESTED TO USE MNM PWR.
  • FOR ACFT WITH WINGSPAN GTR THAN 214 FT CTC LAX AIRSIDE OPS (424)-646-5292 FOR ARPT RESTRICTIONS.
  • MAJOR CONSTRUCTION ON AIRPORT, DAILY.
  • RY 24L AT TWY E8 TORA 9900 FT.
  • AMERICAN EAGLE TRML SOUTHBOUND TAXING ACFT USE MNM PWR DUE TO BLAST HAZ.
  • WEST/REMOTE GATES RAMP GATE 208 SOUTHBOUND TURN NOT AVAIL
  • ANY ACFT THAT MUST COME TO A STOP, OR HAS ITS MOMENTUM INTRPD WHILE TAXIING INTO ITS PRKG PSN, MUST STOP AND BE TOWED.
  • B773, A346 ARE PROHIBITED FROM USING TWY E7
  • ALL A346, B773, B77W ACFT ARE PROHIBITED ON TAXILANES C8 AND C9 BETWEEN TAXILANE C AND TAXIWAY B
  • B772 ACFT EASTBOUND ON TAXILANE C ARE NOT AUTHD TO TRANSITION TO TAXIWAY B AT TAXIWAY C9
  • B767 AND LARGER JETS ARE NOT AUTHD TO MAKE THE RIGHT TURN OUT OF TAXILANE C10 ONTO TAXIWAY C UNDER POWER
  • B747, B777, OR A340 ACFT OUTBOUND FROM TAXILANE D8 MAY NOT TURN WESTBOUND ONTO TAXILANE D UNDER POWER
  • ACFT WITH WINGSPAN GREATER THAN 157 FT ARE NOT AUTHD TO TAXI (POWER) ONTO GATE 123A FROM TAXIWAY D EASTBOUND
  • ACFT WITH WINGSPAN GREATER THAN 157 FT HOLDING ON TAXILANE C ABEAM T4 ARE NOT AUTHD TO MAKE THE LEFT TURN ON TAXIWAY C10 UNDER POWER
  • RWY STATUS LGTS IN OPN.
  • 700 FT X 500 FT CWY AT W END OF RWY 24R.
  • OVERNIGHT STORAGE FEE.

FAA KLAX Airport Diagram, with our taxi path to our assigned gate, Gate 69A, marked in orange.

Taxiing past United Airlines' February-2015-manufactured Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner N26952, I never knew until this point that you could see the entire underside of a 789 wing from ground - level! No wonder the wings appear to flex so much while it is flying...

What are you, a 747 or A380 fan? And why does haze have to ruin such awesome photo opportunities like this?

Check out this sexy lineup, from left to right: LAN 787, Air Tahiti Nui A340-300, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines 747-400, another Air Tahiti Nui A340-300, Korean Air Lines' January-2013-manufactured Airbus A380-861 HL7621, and last, but not least, China Eastern Airlines March-2015-manufactured Boeing 777-39P(ER) B-2020.

Japan Airlines (IATA: JL, ICAO: JAL) flew both the 787 (left) and 777 (right) to LAX today, making for another excellent comparison shot.

Resting in the overt haze below the Los Angeles International Airport Air Traffic Control Tower (ATC, left) and Theme Building (right) is Alaska Airlines' September-2014-manufactured Boeing 737-990(ER)(WL) N471AS as we pull into our own parking space, Gate 69A.

Pre-deplaning cockpit visits are mandatory on 100% of LPDAL trips. Thanks to the awesome crew for being so accommodating! ^

One last look at nine-year-old Alaska Airlines' September / October-2006-manufactured Boeing 737-890(WL) N562AS, thanks for the great flight sweet girl! Be back to AS soon enough!! ^ [And yet another DL WIDGET invading my AS experience!! The battle for Seattle rages on all fronts...]

Last edited by LPDAL; Sep 25, 2015 at 10:40 am
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

---
Los Angeles International Airport / Los Angeles Airport / Mines Field (IATA: LAX, ICAO: KLAX)
---

Instead of heading straight for the American Airlines Flagship First Class Suites Lounge liked I'd originally planned, I decided to visit the unofficially - named "Eagle's Nest" -- the remote beehive of American Eagle and US Airways Express regional jet operations which passes by several opportune vantages for some stunning ground handling action photography. This meant that I'd have to take one of the American Eagle - branded buses (don't worry, they're just airport shuttles -- "Dougie" or whatever hasn't degraded service to Greyhound level ) there and back, which I'd never experienced before. Indeed, I had a great time snapping away!

It seems every time I go anywhere, something is under renovation, however, nothing is ever completed! Thus: Governments are good at removing roof panels and making huge piles of dirt, but don't count on Big Brother to ever finish his work!

Nearly all of the American Eagle buses are NABI (North American Bus Industries, Inc.) Model 30LFNs, which are rebadged, left-hand drive Optare Solo chassis derivatives

American Airlines October / November-2014-manufactured Boeing 737-823(WL) N962NN, viewed while I board the bus. Ramp shots are 100% better than terminal shots as there is no glass to get in the way!! The green lines on both of the nose gear doors signifies that the plane is leased and not owned wholly by AA.

Reflecting the cloudy sky is the tail of American Airlines March-1993-manufactured Boeing 757-223(WL) N687AA, which still retains its chrome livery as of this writing in late September 2015.

The only thing "707" about Delta Air Lines March / April-2009-manufactured Boeing 777-232(LR) N707DN is the registration, otherwise, it's all 777!

Heading back to the main AA terminal at LAX alongside United Airlines May / June-1998-manufactured Airbus A320-232 N449UA taxiing away.

Pulling back into the mainline American Airlines terminal under the back end of United Airlines October-2014-manufactured Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner N19951, which was delivered on Halloween 2014 (October 31st, 2014). United does fly both their 787-8 and 787-9 on irregular domestic LAX-IAH and LAX-other United hubs, so I'll definitely have to catch one of those...

Last edited by LPDAL; Sep 25, 2015 at 11:02 am
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

---
American Airlines Flagship First Class Suites Lounge at Los Angeles International Airport / Los Angeles Airport / Mines Field (IATA: LAX, ICAO: KLAX)
---

I walked up into the hustle and bustle of LAX with my favorite music blaring in my ears, grinning ear to ear, and couldn't stop laughing as a result of how euphoric I was at the time. As I walked past the sliding glass door at the entrance to the club I was immediately recognized and handed a key card to get into the International First Class Lounge, I swear, I couldn't stand myself... I LOVE MY LIFE!!!^^^^

The rather subtle entrance to the Admiral's Club at LAX, which also contains the Flagship First Lounge.

Oh yes, yesssssssss!!!

The main seating area of the lounge, very quiet...But I LOVE it!

Great views of the ramp action below are included too, of course.

Beginning of the long, long spread of food -- tea, coffee, and other hot beverages.

Next up: Booze, which I have no interest in, and hot food (chrome warmer), which I forgot to take a picture of; but it was a very good sweet chicken and rice dish.

Small munchies including crackers, bags of chips, granola bars, and bottles of water.

Cold options: sandwiches, fruit salad, fresh baked brownies, thick cut cheese slices, garden salad, diced vegetable salad, pasta, and Italian sauce (I believe).

Finale; a grand assortment of non alcoholic beverages including mixers, soda, fruit juices, and milk.

Right about then, my longtime friend Vic (pictured) joined me in the lounge. It just so happened that Vic was also on vacation to SFO and decided to connect through LAX back to South Florida to ride on the AA 777 on LAX-MIA and use the flagship lounge on the same day that I was flying on that exact same route as well. [He'd be in Suite 1A, while I was in Suite 4A] I had posted a screenshot of my AA reservation on Facebook a week earlier which he noticed and notified me that we'd be able to meet each other, so it wasn't an instantaneous surprise meeting, but it was still fun to meet another member of the frequent traveler community!

We didn't have enough time to play a game of chess, but maybe next time? Of course there will be a next time, I love this lounge!!!

Having some last minute bites before we headed down to board AA 251 back to South Florida. Coming soon: The last part of this three part series:

TRIP REPORT #30: American Airlines Flagship First Class Suites 777-200 + AA First Class Lounge LAX✈MIA

LPDAL THANKS YOU FOR READING THIS REPORT!

Last edited by LPDAL; Sep 24, 2015 at 11:49 pm
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

All finished trip pictures can be viewed here on my Flickr: LPDAL's Photostream on Flickr - Photo Sharing

Add me on Flickr here: https://www.flickr.com/people/lpdal/relationship/

---
Upcoming Reports
---
25. Virgin America First Class to a Night in New York City FLL✈JFK✈FLL (20th birthday trip)
---
24. Southwest Airlines Business Select, 737-300 FLL✈TPA✈FLL
---
23. United First Class+BusinessFirst 757-200 + KLM Lounge to Ohio FLL✈MCO✈IAH✈CMH✈EWR✈FLL
---
22. American Airlines Flagship First Class Suites 777-200 + AA First Class Lounge LAX✈MIA
---

Last edited by LPDAL; Sep 25, 2015 at 3:09 pm
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

✈✈✈ Upcoming Reports ✈✈✈

25. Virgin America First Class to a Night in New York City FLL✈JFK✈FLL (20th birthday trip)
✈✈✈
24. United First Class+BusinessFirst 757-200 + KLM Lounge to Ohio FLL✈MCO✈IAH✈CMH✈EWR✈FLL
✈✈✈
23. American Airlines Flagship First Class Suites 777-200 + AA First Class Lounge LAX✈MIA
✈✈✈

✈✈✈ Previous Reports ✈✈✈

22. Alaska Airlines First Class (Pancakes!)+AA Flagship First Class Suites Lounge PDX✈LAX | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
21. High School Is Over: Delta First Class, 757-200s of DL/NW+Hampton Inn FLL✈DTW✈SLC✈PDX | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
20. Last trip report of High School (27) United First Class to a Night in Portland, Maine | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
19. US Airways First Class+TPA Marriott Hotel, Stolen DSLR→Christmas Miracle MIA✈TPA✈MIA | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
18. Delta Air Lines BusinessElite /First Class 747-400 Domestic Nov30 FLL✈ATL✈MSP✈ATL✈FLL | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
17. American Eagle First Class with the Ritz Carlton Amelia Island Oceanfront Resort | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
16. Delta Air Lines First Class with the dead Cincinnati and Memphis Hubs PBI✈CVG✈MEM✈MIA | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
15. United GlobalFirst Suites, AA First Class, Times Square Hotel FLL✈EWR✈ORD✈DFW✈MIA | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
14. American Airlines First Class, US Airways First Class, Baptism Ceremony MIA✈TPA✈MIA | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
13. United GlobalFirst Suites First Class,Silver Airways S340B+C5 FLL✈MCO✈IAH✈IAD✈EWR✈FLL | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
12. Delta First Class, BusinessElite 767-300 w/ Westin, Sarasota, FL, FLL-ATL-SRQ-ATL-FLL | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
11. American Airlines Flagship Suites First Class Transcontinental, MIA-LAX-MIA | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
10. American Airlines First Class (Business Class), 767-300 Florida Flights, MIA-MCO-MIA | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
09. Silver Airways Saab 340B+, Marriott Residence Inn Penthouse, United Club, FLL-MCO-FLL | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
08. United First Class with the Piper PA31-350 Navajo Chieftains of Sun Air International | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
07. American Airlines 757-200 Lie flat Flagship Intrafloridian Business Class MCO-MIA | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
06. Goodbye, US Airways: Envoy Suites First Class Farewell Flight FLL-PHL-MCO | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
05. United First Class with the Pre-Merger 757-200s of United Airlines FLL-ORD-IAD-FLL | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
04. JetBlue Even More Space and BahamasAir 737-500+Atlantis Resort and Casino FLL-NAS-FLL | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
03. AirTran Business Class and Delta First Class FLL-ATL-CLE-ATL-FLL | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
02. Spirit Airlines Big Front Seat First Class FLL-MCO-FLL | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈
01. Delta First Class FLL-LGA/JFK-FLL | Trip Reports Forum | FlyerTalk
✈✈✈

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Nov 22, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:32 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Great report, love your enthusiasm.

Some of your airline cabin photos are truly spectacular, especially with regard to the minor details.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the report and pictures
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:38 am

Wait... THAT's IT?????

Just kidding.... excellent job, Colby, as always. Another world-class sprint resulting in huffing and puffing and you didn't get the usual treatment from your awesome friends at the [delete]wannabepoliceofficers[/delete].

Already looking forward to the next report!

- Mikey
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I see, you were in the air again
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:40 am

Another great report, each one better than the last, Colby.

I love the detail and the occasional bits of wry humor.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Hey Michael,

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Great report, love your enthusiasm.

Some of your airline cabin photos are truly spectacular, especially with regard to the minor details.
Thank you! I take about 2,000-3,000 photos on each trip (but sometimes it goes way above that -- for example, 15,000+ on my recent CMH journey). Less than 1% of these photos will make the cut.

Hi Glensea,

Originally Posted by Glensea
Another great report, each one better than the last, Colby.

I love the detail and the occasional bits of wry humor.
Thank you for another warm, nice comment! ^

Greetings Offerendum,

Originally Posted by offerendum
I see, you were in the air again
Of course!

Hey Mikey, and thanks for another great comment!

Originally Posted by MikeyInSAT
Wait... THAT's IT?????

Just kidding.... excellent job, Colby, as always. Another world-class sprint resulting in huffing and puffing and you didn't get the usual treatment from your awesome friends at the [delete]wannabepoliceofficers[/delete].

Already looking forward to the next report!

- Mikey
It's coming soon! :-:

Good afternoon Loose Cannon,

Originally Posted by Loose Cannon
Thanks for the report and pictures
No problem, glad you enjoyed it.

Thanks again for the comments, everyone!

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Sep 25, 2015 at 11:01 am
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Amazing Trip Report as always.

I really like how much effort you put into these trips and reports and love to read about the side stories as well.

As small remark, I'm not sure if it's the camera or a filter that you applied but some of the pictures have a very weird hue (is that the right word?) to it. Do you take analog pictures and then scan them?

Nevertheless, great pictures and info, I hope you enjoyed your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.