Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Delta First Class FLL-LGA/JFK-FLL

Delta First Class FLL-LGA/JFK-FLL

Old May 18, 2012, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Thumbs up Delta First Class FLL-LGA/JFK-FLL

Hello, this is my first trip report so please bear with me. A few months ago I went on Delta First Class to a weeding in Long Island, New York. I originally booked an Economy fare but was notified by email that I was upgraded to First class the morning before the flight. Sweet!

---
FLL-LGA
Flight #: Delta 1698
Date: April 6, 2012
Cabin: Seat 2D, First Class
Aircraft: MD-88

Arriving at the airport, I quickly checked my bags at the curbside checked baggage desk. Check in with the automated kiosk was fast and painless, and I headed to the Fast track TSA line.

Check-In

Check-In Desks and Kiosks

This sign confused me- I thought Delta "s Business Class is BusinessElite, so why did they also state "Business Class"? Could this be referring to a codeshare airline's similar level of service?

This is where I saw a family, consisting of two parents and two babies. They held up the line for at least ten minutes and let their children run around the security checkpoint like a playground. Finally, a TSA agent gently told them to keep their kids in line (no pun intended).

TSA Line at FLL

I had a smidgen of time before I had to board the flight, so I headed to the FLL Delta Skyclub. Shooing my Platinum Medallion Skymiles Card, I was quickly granted access and went to grab a table.

Delta FLL Skyclub entrance

FLL DL Skyclub in the morning

The club had a full bar and a variety of juices. I elected for some Orange and Cranberry juice.

FLL Skyclub Bar

My drink selections.

I then decided to check out the food selection. Actual food (in my experience) has been scarce in most Delta-name Skyclubs. This one had some pastries and a hot oatmeal option, but it was out. The attendant put in some more oatmeal, but it was really watery, so I passed on it.

Delta Sky Club Pastry Selection

Delta 767 parked right infront of the Skyclub. I don't know where it was headed to, may someone please inform me?

After drinking my juice and scarfing down some pastries, I headed to the gate.

Check-in desk for the flight to LGA

My ride to LGA, a Delta MD-88.

Within a few minutes, a female employee came over the loudspeaker and announced that it was time for First Class passengers to board. Walking up to the desk, I walked briskly down to the plane through the jetway.

walking down the jetway to the MD-88.

Boarding the MD-88

I boarded the plane, and sat down in 2D. To my slight dismay, the family that I had seen earlier had claimed the entire last row of First Class for them and their children. Thankfully, they didn't run around like they did at the TSA line, but they sure did make a lot of noise.
Waiting at our seats was a bottle of Dasani water, a pillow, and a red blanket.

Delta First Class seats

Amenities on the DL MD-88s include eMPower ports, Wi-Fi, and (First Class only) complimentary meal service. There was is no IFE onboard this flight.

First cabin during boarding

Complimentary Dasani water (First Class only)

Rear of First seat.

Soon, the Economy pax boarded and we taxied to the runway. We made an eastern departure and then turned to the north to begin our journey to LGA.
Soon, a female flight attendant came around, taking everyone's meal orders. The choice was between a chicken marinara sandwich or cold chicken salad. I got the sandwich, my seatmate got the salad.
Old May 20, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FT, LPDAL!

To answer the whole "Business" and "BusinessElite" thing, the forward cabin on North American international flights (like ATL to Mexico City or LAX to Guatemala City) is called Business class. It's the same as the domestic First product and is eligible for Medallion upgrades. I guess so that Delta can sell it as business class since they don't have international first class.
Old May 20, 2012, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! What a fabulous TR!! I'm glad you have a great flight. I remember that guy who work for Skycap. I do miss FLL lots. Because it was too many changes. It's getting more extremely overcrowded who flying out of FLL.

Oh, by the way, thank you for sharing the pictures at DL ticket counter. I haven't see it yet.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Dasani - the high class water that comes from your faucet.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Nice first post!
Old May 21, 2012, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by blackmamba
Dasani - the high class water that comes from your faucet.
^ Indeed.

-----

Thanks for the report! Meal pics?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow! What a nice trip report and welcome to FlyerTalk. Hope you enjoy for your stay. Looking forward to it.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Thanks for the report! Meal pics?
Do you have meal pics? I am flying EWR-FLL on UA in F in two weeks. We can put UA, and DL head to head.

Welcome to FT ^
Old Mar 21, 2014, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Madone59
Do you have meal pics? I am flying EWR-FLL on UA in F in two weeks. We can put UA, and DL head to head.

Welcome to FT ^
No, He did not take a picture of meal. He didn't do it. He should have it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.