Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do LCC's give so little food that is PAID for by the passengers.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do LCC's give so little food that is PAID for by the passengers.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by mmff
They already do. However, different people have different utility functions and most passengers will choose the option that saves them 2 USD on a TATL even if they rant for 1-2 days after each of those flights. This race to the bottom is not exactly new and it would have long reverted back to the old model if most passengers did not value it.
I think you misunderstand. That's still basing it on price.

Value is seeing that adding 2 pieces of luggage will cost an additional $70 to get them onboard... But for a legacy airline... $80 will get you the luggage and a more comfortable seat... Better value proposition...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And some of their utility functions are strange. It seems that people are willing to pay more for unhealthy food to carry on board than pay somewhat less more for their ticket and be given somewhat less unhealthy food onboard. At least that's the lesson we get from BA's removal of complimentary onboard drinks and food.
Perceived value... People often have a set idea of what to expect from an airline (especially legacy)... What most people tend to forget is that if you chop the price, something has to go with it...

If people go into the flight with the expectation of I am just using this like a bus to get from A to B, they would be much happier. But more often than not, they are expecting the costs to go down, but for them to maintain a concept that came out of the 40s and 50s where you were served lobster and caviar... But they are getting a burger and fries.

​That's why they gripe...
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
I think you misunderstand. That's still basing it on price.

Value is seeing that adding 2 pieces of luggage will cost an additional $70 to get them onboard... But for a legacy airline... $80 will get you the luggage and a more comfortable seat... Better value proposition...
I didn't misunderstand. You need to accept that many (most?) people value the better seat in your example at less than 10 USD.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by a330boston
I was looking at Norwegian and Level's long haul food and it looked like a fraction of what you would usually in full service airlines' COMPLIMENTARY meals.

Or is it actually more filling than it looks?

If not, I hope this is not the future of airline meals as budget long haul flights become more prevalent.
Remember that on Norwegian's long hauls, you can swipe your credit card in the IFE and order whatever you want, whenever you want (except for during take off and landing). Other than that, yeah, the meals on Norwegian are utterly disgusting, and the subcontracted cabin crews don't give a crap about anything.

Buy cheap, get cheap.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Is this the same question as in OP's other thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...amenities.html
Pretty much, with a slight spin. Don't forget this OTHER thread posted by the OP:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ging-food.html

And another...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...rth-price.html

I suspect the answer is the same in all four threads - lower costs, preserve/improve margins.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Statman
I can't believe there is someone complaining about eating more disgusting airplane food.

If you really need a triple serving either pay for it or buy something from the terminal and take aboard the plane.
Believe it or not, I actually LIKE airplane food. I'd say it definitely beats Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks
Old Jul 20, 2017, 6:27 pm

Believe it or not, I actually LIKE airplane food. I'd say it definitely beats Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks
If you're basing this on LCC and back of the bus food, I don't think I could differentiate between the two. Experimenting with bringing my on preferences or what I could find at the airport... Not much better, but a little better...

I will say this much... Fast food burgers from any of the chains never do well 3 hours into a flight...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I was looking at Norwegian and Level's long haul food and it looked like a fraction of what you would usually in full service airlines' COMPLIMENTARY meals.

Or is it actually more filling than it looks?

If not, I hope this is not the future of airline meals as budget long haul flights become more prevalent.
Nothing is free. Its always included in the price of something.

If you're paying less for an airfare of course the food will be different.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by StuckInYYZ
..If people go into the flight with the expectation of I am just using this like a bus to get from A to B, they would be much happier. But more often than not, they are expecting the costs to go down, but for them to maintain a concept that came out of the 40s and 50s where you were served lobster and caviar... But they are getting a burger and fries.
That sounds outlandishly construed. None of us have been around then. Just 12 years ago offerings were much better and prices were much lower. People didn't forget that they paid thousands of dollars for a domestic flight during WWII ... they recall the $200 flight to Europe that included free luggage, booze, hot food, and a normal size seat.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by weero
That sounds outlandishly construed. None of us have been around then. Just 12 years ago offerings were much better and prices were much lower. People didn't forget that they paid thousands of dollars for a domestic flight during WWII ... they recall the $200 flight to Europe that included free luggage, booze, hot food, and a normal size seat.
Maybe by a little bit, but not by much. You look at all the pictures on the airline sights and they don't show cafeteria food. They show plated meals with smiles from the FA and other flyers. But then once on the plane, they see the tin takeaway style food served by (often grumpy) FAs. That which is often over/under cooked or cold and tasteless.

Yes, it's marketing spiel, but it's not what was being presented. Even the BoB stuff often does not look like what is shown in the brochures. It's closer. But not quite and often at inflated prices.

I'd rather buy something from the airport (or even better/possible, before the airport). I'm not saying the food is inedible, but you're not getting what you were sold as it were.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I almost never see food in airline marketing/advertising. If I see it at all, it's long-haul J/F and I would hope that it's at least *somewhat* realistic...as much as any restaurant ad is anyway.

I would hope Norwegian isn't building ad campaigns around their food, which from reading here and elsewhere is apparently quite crappy.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Nothing is free. Its always included in the price of something.
Economies of scale of mass/bulk catering may give you better food overall than BoB.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
I almost never see food in airline marketing/advertising.
Not these days but in the past. Even in the '80s, AS prided itself on its food offerings.

I would hope Norwegian isn't building ad campaigns around their food, which from reading here and elsewhere is apparently quite crappy.
Not only that but hideously expensive too? I'm complaining about the price of D7's meals ex. Japan (~USD 14-15) and was informed that Norwegian charges 3x as much.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Not these days but in the past. Even in the '80s, AS prided itself on its food offerings.
YX (Midwest Express) did that too. Real china, wine poured from full bottles, etc. Emphasis on pretty good food, and it was indeed part of their marketing.

Modestly successful through the 90's by flying niche routes without competition. ex-MCI, they were at various points our only SEA, SAT, SNA, BOS, and MKE options - and those are just the routes I remember because I flew them. Seats and service on par with a major carrier's narrowbody F throughout the cabin, with a price that generally felt like "medium-to-high Y" (in an era when discounted F was rare).

Post-9/11, they struggled. They tried jumping into competitive/leisure markets with traditional Y seating and service. Eventually they were swallowed by Frontier and none of the routes I remember so fondly are still operated by them (except maybe MKE?).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.