Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

why do hotel clerks say things that make it worse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Like when you are a platinum member and asking about early check-in, and they have to add, when no room is available yet, "guaranteed check-in is at 4pm". Like we don't know that? We haven't stayed in a hotel before?

The worst part of staying at a hotel is dealing with the front desk (usually, sometimes they are very pleasant. Maybe 4% of the time)
Old May 28, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
The worst part of staying at a hotel is dealing with the front desk (usually, sometimes they are very pleasant. Maybe 4% of the time)

Maybe you're staying at the wrong hotels!? In my case most front desk are usually extremely friendly. This year only 1 or 2 front desks were unfriendly and 1 was downright nasty.

That last one knew details he couldn't know unless he went through the paperwork I had left on the desk in my room. He asked me how the conference (a tiny conference with absolutely no publicity) was going. I never told him or showed him that I was participating at said conference.
Old May 28, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Like when you are a platinum member and asking about early check-in, and they have to add, when no room is available yet, "guaranteed check-in is at 4pm". Like we don't know that? We haven't stayed in a hotel before?
No, we don't all know that because guaranteed check-in isn't at 4 pm for all hotels. Some of us, when asking about early check-in, appreciate hearing when check-in time is at the particular property. Or even if we don't need to know it, we just let it go by without taking offense.
Old May 28, 2017, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Maybe 4% of the time)
If you only find the front desk staff pleasant 4% of the time then I'm gonna guess the problem isn't with them. :-:
Old May 28, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
They possibly have a spiel they have to say.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:07 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yup, a lot of chains script things and leave very little leeway. Just look at the customer satisfaction surveys you get. It's not "were the check-in staff helpful" it's "did the check-in staff nag you about booking dinner in our restaurant".

​​​​Hilton, with their "how dare you not book through our website" speech is one of the most irritating. Worse still, when you complain about this, they send you back a list of reasons why you should book through the website...
Old May 29, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by stut
​​​​Hilton, with their "how dare you not book through our website" speech is one of the most irritating. Worse still, when you complain about this, they send you back a list of reasons why you should book through the website...
I got that talk recently again...
Old May 29, 2017, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
If you only find the front desk staff pleasant 4% of the time then I'm gonna guess the problem isn't with them. :-:
It is about an interactions that adds something versus just taking away time. Many times it is not unpleasant, but something that a robot would have done faster.
But there is no self checkin at hotels yet, not like airlines where you just go online and do it. Why would someone like waiting to speak to a person who just has to do some paperwork?
Old May 29, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
They possibly have a spiel they have to say.
I guess I should be grateful it is not as bad as at the rental car companies
Old May 29, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: Various
Why don't you ask one of your servants to do the talking then?
Old May 29, 2017, 2:38 pm

Amen.
Old May 29, 2017, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Why don't you ask one of your servants to do the talking then?
I'm pretty sure people with servants don't check-in at front desks. But maybe you should ask someone who has servants.

Originally Posted by stut
Yup, a lot of chains script things and leave very little leeway. Just look at the customer satisfaction surveys you get. It's not "were the check-in staff helpful" it's "did the check-in staff nag you about booking dinner in our restaurant".

Saw this video, haha. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNDS4kVwA68

Last edited by JY1024; May 29, 2017 at 11:22 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old May 29, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
How true.

Super happy to have Hertz PC so for the most part I have very little interaction with the employees.
Old May 29, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm pretty sure people with servants don't check-in at front desks. But maybe you should ask someone who has servants.
We do room check ins or no check in. I just arrive and get private elevator to my 20k a night suite.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA

I'm surprised that 4% of front desk clerks are capable of reading your mind. I would have guessed zero.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.