Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any tip to look less like a tourist?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 9:01 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Dress like the locals. Yea bro tanks are cool or repulsive in the US, depending on who you ask, but in Thailand they say you're either a tourist, a gay, or both. Not that there's anything wrong with being either.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: UA
Trying to not look like a tourist can be futile if you're going for the casual look and the advice I've heard from other frequent travelers is to go for the expat look especially in areas where you'll stick out due to your ethnicity.

White buttoned shirt, nice slacks, decent-looking shoes for men. I haven't been able to figure out a similar outfit for women but a decent-looking dress fitting for the climate and local modesty standards seems to be the best shot.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Centurion
The most torn up beat up piece of luggage you can find. None of the Rimowa or LV or anything nice
^ This

Most people won't manage to go "incognito" in another country, heck, even another area. But taking crappy luggage and relatively crappy clothes does make scammers think "nah, not worth, probably only has little cash".

I do keep some older clothes and luggage especially for countries where I know that there is a lof of those scammers/thieves etc. - it won't work THAT well when you massively blend out and they're used of scamming (Say, in Egypt..) but as long as you don't look like a "hot target", you'll have a much easier holiday.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The only thing more annoying than a tourist with a selfie stick is a tourist with a &@$* GoPro on a selfie stick.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Aug 4, 2016 at 3:49 am
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
We live in an area that It isn't possible to avoid looking like a tourist, what one can do is try go be a "good" tourist. This really isn't hard. ... learn the 4 polite words "Hello, good day, thank you and please" and you're good to go. ... When you enter a small shop say Hello or Good Day to the shop keeper, it's very very rude to not do so.
Good advice!
In most other countries you greet people before making any kind of request or inquiry, whether at the deli counter at the supermarket, or in the souvenir shop.
Greet in English if you did not learn the words in the language of the country you visit. Much better than not greeting at all. Same for Thank you, etc.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:07 pm

Programs: MP
I remember when we were kids and our parents took us to Taiwan. At a restaurant he whispered to us to "keep quiet and act like the locals" so they don't try to rip us off. Which, to be fair, wouldn't have been that difficult since we look Chinese and my dad can speak fluent Mandarin.

He then laid out the map on the table to figure out our next destination...

Way to blend in like a local, Dad.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TOMFORD
Dress like the locals. Yea bro tanks are cool or repulsive in the US, depending on who you ask
Goodness, I hope there isn't *too* much variance on this question in the U.S.

Although I guess if you're a 16-year-old bro taking a trip to Arkansas, maybe you should pack a bro tank...
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by pon18n
I remember when we were kids and our parents took us to Taiwan. At a restaurant he whispered to us to "keep quiet and act like the locals" so they don't try to rip us off. Which, to be fair, wouldn't have been that difficult since we look Chinese and my dad can speak fluent Mandarin.

He then laid out the map on the table to figure out our next destination...

Way to blend in like a local, Dad.
Quiet? Restaurant? Greater China? That is supposed to help you blend in?

Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
^ This

Most people won't manage to go "incognito" in another country, heck, even another area. But taking crappy luggage and relatively crappy clothes does make scammers think "nah, not worth, probably only has little cash".

I do keep some older clothes and luggage especially for countries where I know that there is a lof of those scammers/thieves etc. - it won't work THAT well when you massively blend out and they're used of scamming (Say, in Egypt..) but as long as you don't look like a "hot target", you'll have a much easier holiday.
I was recently flying intra-asia with a colleague who works for the company's office in Singapore. He appeared at the airport that appeared to be nothing but duct tape, but upon closer inspection was actually a reasonably expensive suitcase. When asked, his reply was "camouflage so no one will steal stuff from it while checked baggage. Very important for some of the locations they make me fly to."
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by milepig
I was recently flying intra-asia with a colleague who works for the company's office in Singapore. He appeared at the airport that appeared to be nothing but duct tape, but upon closer inspection was actually a reasonably expensive suitcase. When asked, his reply was "camouflage so no one will steal stuff from it while checked baggage. Very important for some of the locations they make me fly to."
I've had a friend that has had expensive clothing stolen from their suitcase when I was checked luggage. She swears it was because of the first class tags. She now asks that first class not be put on. She'll wait for her "economy" bags or if the tag says priority without the class she's in she'll go for that.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 11:27 pm

As a Mexican living in Malaysia who every day gets confused as local but never as tourist and blends in doesn't matter if is New Zealand, Spain, Germany, Brazil or Indonesia (in all those countries people have assumed i'm local) i would say no selfie sticks, gopros, no big camera hanging from your neck, no lonely planet/map while walking on the street and PLEASE if you visit Southeast Asia no singlets shirts printed with name of beer brands or padi conical hats!! Those scream tourists!! Same in Mexico if you walk with a big sombrero hat! Dress as local, i have realized here in Kuala Lumpur it's so easy to identify who is a foreigner living here and who is a tourist just by looking at the clothes. We expats even tend to even wear jeans, when a tourist probably would never do while in KL!!

Also, do your research of the place you are visiting before getting there, the colors of subway lines, main stops, landmarks, how to get from A to B, the main food dishes, don't ask for food substitutions/changes unless religious/allergy concerns (don't ask for a curry soup less spicy if the stall is just a lady with a big pot of soup serving the bowls in front of you), if you need directions just check your phone (those days is so easy to get tourist simcards with data plans), learn a couple of words in local language. Actually, it's easy to blend in, to put it simple look at the obvious people who look like tourist and try not to act/look like them.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
I do not use a fanny pack or money belt. If you do have a money belt, it should never be accessed in public.

I avoid the deer-in-the-headlights look. Even if I have no idea where I am, I'll continue to act as if I know where I'm going, either occasionally checking the phone map or asking directions if necessary.

Those two bits are the big ones. Pickpockets and scam artists can smell fear and naivet a mile away.

You can NOT avoid looking like a tourist in some situations. If you're pasty white and in the Marrakesh medina, they'll make you as a tourist.

I won't touch a selfie stick with a 10 foot selfie stick. If I carry a camera other than my phone, it's a small micro-four-thirds mirrorless one.

Some logistical / packing decisions I've made:

I've pared down my luggage over the last couple of years, after constantly bringing home half of what I took unused. Last few 1-2 week trips have been done with a 13 liter Osprey day-lite pack. I've standardized on mostly merino wool layers. How does this make me look less like a tourist? My pack is the same one I usually use as a daily-carry laptop bag. If I can fit into a coffee shop at home, I can fit in elsewhere.

I prefer pockets with discreet zippers. Cargo pockets are also very touristy, but I still prefer them just to carry a hat, sunglasses, etc. Passport in the front left pocket where I would normally carry my keys, couple of cards in left rear, small amount of cash right rear, backup cards some other pocket, phone in right front pocket. These are standard for me - keeps me from forgetting one or more items if everything has a standard pocket. Nothing goes in jacket pockets, because those can get left behind.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:20 am

Originally Posted by jy3
I figured out that it is better to look less like a tourist in some countries to avoid any problems concerning with people who might get to you to take advantage of you in any ways..
I usually travel alone and I'm pretty young so..Any tips on this?

What I personally try to do is to know directions and know where I'm going, and not just stand there in the middle of streets looking at the maps and searching my phone. (Not saying that this is wrong though. I'm just doing this to avoid any problems.)

Though I grew up in the States, I'm Asian so I obviously stand out in Western countries, but is there anything I can do to at least avoid certain problems?
My advice is don't worry or dwell on it too much. Using some common sense and being a gracious visitor is what I always aim for when visiting a foreign country. How you act will impact how people treat you, whether it be positively or negatively, more than how you are dressed. That is assuming you are dressed conservatively.

Also take some time learning about your destination (reading, youtube videos etc.). And talking to people who have visited or lived in that area. They can warn about any pitfalls they have encountered. Knowing about what scams take place where you are visiting is very useful. Online there is no shortage of knowledge about the most visited places.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat.
-if you're using apple products replace the highly recognizable white headphones with something more generic

-
if you have to use your phone in public get your back up against a wall or find a place where you can see people approach you

-as others have mentioned, do some research into local scams (ie bangkok tuk-tuk "suits"/"mall" scam)

-anyone who refers to you as "my friend" is not your friend
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by bumfluff
(ie bangkok tuk-tuk "suits"/"mall" scam)
I'm from bangkok and I can pretty much tell you that unless you look Thai and speak the language, 90% of the taxis will try to rip you off. No amount of dress/preparation is going to help you here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.