FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any tip to look less like a tourist?
View Single Post
Old Jan 15, 2017, 2:20 am
TiberiusOnTime

Originally Posted by jy3
I figured out that it is better to look less like a tourist in some countries to avoid any problems concerning with people who might get to you to take advantage of you in any ways..
I usually travel alone and I'm pretty young so..Any tips on this?

What I personally try to do is to know directions and know where I'm going, and not just stand there in the middle of streets looking at the maps and searching my phone. (Not saying that this is wrong though. I'm just doing this to avoid any problems.)

Though I grew up in the States, I'm Asian so I obviously stand out in Western countries, but is there anything I can do to at least avoid certain problems?
My advice is don't worry or dwell on it too much. Using some common sense and being a gracious visitor is what I always aim for when visiting a foreign country. How you act will impact how people treat you, whether it be positively or negatively, more than how you are dressed. That is assuming you are dressed conservatively.

Also take some time learning about your destination (reading, youtube videos etc.). And talking to people who have visited or lived in that area. They can warn about any pitfalls they have encountered. Knowing about what scams take place where you are visiting is very useful. Online there is no shortage of knowledge about the most visited places.