What do you splurge on when you travel?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2014, 5:22 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Adding to my list...cables in Taiwan.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I mainly splurge on the time off from work (unpaid time off, while a nice perk from my employer, still nets out as quite expensive!) and on the frequency of travel (even cheap international Y tickets add up quickly.)

I will splurge on meals both at home and when traveling, but since I tend to eat out a lot at home and a lot of the places I go internationally have relatively cheaper food than the US, I often end up spending no more on food when traveling than I do at home.

Hotels can be splurges, depending on where I go; tend to spend more in places I don't know, and then find cheaper local places if I go back once I get to know the place. On the one hand, it's just a place to sleep, but location makes a big difference -- a cheap place where I'm taking taxis both ways or walking my feet sore is not a bargain. I also want wifi if possible and I'm pretty picky about cleanliness and having a decent bed (plus, outside the US the cheapest places tend not to have non-smoking rooms, and being asthmatic that is a must.)

I tend not to rent cars, book tours, or use taxis much -- I tend to explore places on foot or via mass transit, and I prefer urban areas or compact beach towns where I can get around easily.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mbloes
Funny. We stayed at the Park Hyatt Tokyo once and I felt like we were the only customers there that were using the trains.
This made me smile, as I've really enjoyed the same experience in multiple cities, arriving at high end properties in entry level transportation.

Perhaps most memorable for me was rolling up to the ultra-luxury 5* Oberoi Hotel on Nariman Point in Mumbai... in a clapped out non-air conditioned 1970s era Premier Padmini taxi. Hey, it only required one stop to refill the radiator between the airport and the hotel...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.