Reload this Page >

What do you splurge on when you travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
Very fun thread to read. It's interesting to see where everyone's priorities lie when traveling. For me the splurge will always be on the best hotels and on food and drink (especially wine). I almost always fly in business/first whether it be cash, miles, or a combination of the two.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs

We splurge on a single experience, the once-in-a-lifetime type thing that will be a great memory. For example today we are in Patagonia in Argentina and will be going on a trek on a glacier. We are staying in a comfortable, clean basic local hotel but I can promise you that even if we stayed at an expensive hotel we are going to remember the glacier walk, not where we slept or what we ate.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Assuming the location is appropriate, eating good local food at restaurants is where I'd spend the discretionary money. Of course, I want to stay in a quiet, clean, comfortable and well-located hotel (preferably not part of a chain) and will do so if reasonably priced. With miles, I'd treat myself to Business Class if available. I would consider Premium Economy if the premium (in cash terms) is not too big. Perhaps a taxi from the airport but always public transport on the return to the airport. So it's got to be good food.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bohemiana
where we slept
awasi patagonia rates include private excursions (not group excursions)
different "hotels" offer different things, including authentic experiences
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:08 pm

We splurge on 'experiences'. We usually don't stay in fancy hotels, and never dress up for fine dining on vacations. Our splurges are things like helicopter rides, zip lines, snorkeling excursions, private tours, etc.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:31 pm

Great thread.
I'd like to look at it the other way.
I don't have a problem with splurging on great hotels and food but there are 2 things that I cant get over the hurdle on.

1) mini-bar- overcharge my hotel and meal whatever you want but I can't commit to opening a $10 bottle of Evian that I know costs $2 right outside.

2) overpaying during high season- Hard for me to splurge on resort rates during high season when rates can be 3x or 4x normal rate.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:27 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by jologolf
Great thread.
I'd like to look at it the other way.
I don't have a problem with splurging on great hotels and food but there are 2 things that I cant get over the hurdle on.

1) mini-bar- overcharge my hotel and meal whatever you want but I can't commit to opening a $10 bottle of Evian that I know costs $2 right outside.

2) overpaying during high season- Hard for me to splurge on resort rates during high season when rates can be 3x or 4x normal rate.
I agree with you on both of those. A couple of years ago my boss asked me if I wanted any time off during August. I politely informed him that August was the last point in the year in which I wanted any time off.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 1:28 am

Programs: Emirates Silver, BA, Flying Blue, Virgin, IHG
Long trips. We try every other year to do a transatlantic (this year it was four weeks in NY, DC and points in between, a couple of years ago it was 5 weeks in Rockies and SW US) and in other years 3-4 weeks in Europe. We don't have high income (I'm in education and my husband is retired) but we love to travel. By managing our budget through economy flights (but with paid lounge access), shopping around for car hire (but always going for a decent size), using pricerunner etc for hotels, camping in Grand Canyon, Yellowstone (but best way to see them) we can afford these trips which we otherwise wouldn't do. We spend less on our long trips stateside than richer friends do for 10 days in luxury hotels in Europe bit people assume because our trios are amazing we have spent a fortune. Each to their own.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Rationaltravel
When I was in Paris in early October I bought two tickets at the last minute for one of my favorite operas, Verdi's "La Traviata" at the Bastille Opera. It was very expensive; the only tickets available were for the top two price levels, but it was worth it to me (except for the minimalist scenery and the prominent use of an ugly painting in the first act) and my friend also enjoyed the performance.
You're right, that painting is ghastly

But at least you had Damrau and Terzier.

I always buy the best seats available anyway for opera or operetta tickets when I am in Europe.
I find that location in the theater is most important; I prefer not to sit in the orchestra/stalls, instead, I seek tickets in the first or second tier or ring - best visuals and (because of no overhang) better sound. However, sometimes the less expensive seats have their benefits - a few days ago I sat in the top Galerie at the Nationaltheater in Munich for the premier of the new production of Manon Lescaut, and the visuals were fine and the sound perfect.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC

Great thread. For business, we actually have a pretty generous travel policy, including liberal rules for full-fare and premium-class travel, lounge membership, hotels, and client dining. If I have a splurge, it would be the occasional use of a car service at the end of a long transcon or int'l flight, particularly if I know I will be drinking on the plane.

For leisure trips, the "splurge" depends on who I'm traveling with, and where we are going. If we are taking the kids to spend a week or two with my parents at their house, I will book a luxury SUV as we will probably take a lot of outings, and the extra space is useful. If it is a getaway with Mrs SoCalDuck, I will book suite or high-category room, and then submit myself to her favorite splurge: a day of shopping. A long weekend in Vegas: everything is a splurge!
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Great thread:

For us, food. We do the research prior to vacationing and we try to hit a couple of Michelin starred establishments.

For the experience. Especially if we are never going to go back to a certain area, even if we know we are going to get gouged, we don't regret it and just do it. We rationalize it as it is worth it because it's something we can't do ever again and if we were to want to, we would have to purchase tickets, hotel and come back here, which will really make the experience expensive. (IE: baby pandas on your lap for about 100 USD per 3 minutes)
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
You're right, that painting is ghastly

Caption Courageous: [falsetto] "Take them back, Cleo. I looked up his rating in Dun & Bradstreet!"
Old Nov 22, 2014, 8:12 pm

Very interesting posts. Good question OP
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I'll defend restaurant meals by saying that sometimes they can be memorable if well-chosen. I remeber a trip to El Paso where the first meal was at a place that was one of the first in the U.S. to serve margaritas, and another was at a ranch-like steakhouse some miles out of town. I still hear about ordering the 2 lb. steak (untrimmed and bone-in mind you) because it was only $4 more than the 1 lb. In Buffalo u have to go to the Anchor Bar (birthplace of Buffalo wings) and if in Atlantic City to the White House sub shop. And if in Honolulu to the hole-in-the-wall places with Hawaiian food.

With hotels I tend to shell out only if I expect to spend a lot of time in there, as in getting the 4* Westin on a trip to Cancun for $45 via PL. In a place like Las Vegas, where you could do it either way, I'm usually downtown with the $30-ish places. Though there's something to be said for a place with a big outdoor pool if you go in July.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
We just returned from the FS Maui, for fifteen nights, if that counts here. I won't bother with a report because it sure had it's up and downs.

I will say we put up with group after drunken group while there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.