What do you splurge on when you travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you splurge on when you travel?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by ChrisandDonnie'sMommy
Food and shopping

I like to get a sense of what it's like as a local and these two areas achieve that yearning for me.

As for lodging, I start from 3 stars and up. I usually want a place to lay my head as I don't like to travel and stay in my room.
Welcome to FT!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:56 am

Opera and operetta.

When I was in Paris in early October I bought two tickets at the last minute for one of my favorite operas, Verdi's "La Traviata" at the Bastille Opera. It was very expensive; the only tickets available were for the top two price levels, but it was worth it to me (except for the minimalist scenery and the prominent use of an ugly painting in the first act) and my friend also enjoyed the performance. I always buy the best seats available anyway for opera or operetta tickets when I am in Europe.

Also, when I was in Vienna this summer I bought (in advance) the best seats available at the Baden Theatre for Kalman's "Die Zikusprincess" and Lehar's "Giuditta"; the price was much less than half the cost of the opera in Paris and I also saved half the price again because I attended these operettas alone.

Last edited by Rationaltravel; Oct 30, 2014 at 11:58 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:36 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Pretty much anything that makes the trip easier.

For example, on a recent trip to Seoul, my plan was to take the free shuttle bus to the hotel after arriving at ICN. But by the time I got there, it was cold and I was very tired - with little patience left to find and wait for a bus. So I just took a (very expensive) taxi.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i look at value and incremental value
seems most tend to focus on price

Originally Posted by SANspotter
Pretty much anything that makes the trip easier.

For example, on a recent trip to Seoul, my plan was to take the free shuttle bus to the hotel after arriving at ICN. But by the time I got there, it was cold and I was very tired - with little patience left to find and wait for a bus. So I just took a (very expensive) taxi.
saving you time and energy
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
1.Experiences. If something really stands out as a unique or amazing site/activity, I will spend the $$$ on it. $250 for a 45 minute heli ride? Sure, as it gives you a perspective no other means can get you.

2. Valet. I would rather spend a bit of $$ on convenience and most importantly, save time: the most precious commodity on vacation.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
... I will spend the $$$ on it. $250 for a 45 minute heli ride? Sure, as it gives you a perspective no other means can get you.
+1. Some of my best memories (and best pictures) are from helicopter rides over amazing places, even places I've driven. Totally worth it.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Valet. I would rather spend a bit of $$ on convenience and most importantly, save time: the most precious commodity on vacation.
the best valet can be ready when you walk out, as well as providing beverages etc

but some valet may involve a long wait when leaving
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
the best valet can be ready when you walk out, as well as providing beverages etc

Agreed, but depending on the location you can call ahead when you are on your way out.

Biggest gain is on arrival: just drive to the entrance, get out and give your key. No searching for a parking spot miles away.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 1:39 pm

I prefer to splurge on the hotel when I feel the purpose of visiting is for the relaxation at the hotel. For example, we've been to Four Seasons Hualalai and I have a hard time imagining going to another hotel on the Big Island. GHM Legian is another example in Seminyak.

But, I don't necessarily go for Four Seasons everywhere. When we were in Istanbul, we had no interest in paying the price for either of their hotels. We wouldn't get much benefit as our purpose was to be in Istanbul and not in our hotel.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
.time: the most precious commodity on vacation.
+1. I think I'm only just now learning that.

I think this is a great question! It's made me think about my own spending habits as they relate to travel.

On flights that we pay cash for, we splurge on E+ seats. I'm looking forward to traveling more to get more info on our habits!
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:18 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri

I've considered hiring a driver in Jakarta, but do drivers make traffic disappear? Far from it...
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Boosting the trip frequency is a good one. If I was still limited at 2-3 weeks' vacation a year I could fund everything at higher levels, but I'm glad I'm not limited that way.

I tend to favor food over lodging, but only inasmuch as the food has some uniqueness to it. In Kansas City, for example, I'll be at the ESA via Priceline in $30s and potentially spend more than that to eat at Jack Stack BBQ. That only works with a strong contender with something you really can't get back at home. And many of the food places could be midscale or below...maybe it's just a chain or small outfit limited to a city or two (like Pappas Burgers).

Sometimes shopping can be a bit customized as well. If you collect records, for example, the only used-record stores tend to be independents, and some cities have really good ones while some don't. It's also not something easily bought online because you have to inspect the thing closely if fussy about condition.

Thrift stores can be worth looking in on at a few places, like West Palm Beach (lots of label-consciousness with clothes, etc.). In a place like Chattanooga, OTOH, demand is higher and supply of good donations lower, so you're unlikely to get a good deal.

It's also very possible to not have any expense items that really stick out individually but still have them mount up in totality. I've had a few trips like that.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I'm another person in the more and cheaper trips category. I'm happy flying Y, though I am prepared to pay for seat selection and pay more for a better airline/flight time/airport. Hotels i'm happy as long as they are clean, safe and quiet but location is a factor - i'd rather stay in a centrally located 2* than an inconveniently located 4*. Food i'm pretty cheap but i'm prepared to pay a bit more if the quality/dining experience rates it. And I like first class rail travel.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA1K, F9 Ascent
Hotel Laundry Service

Most of my trips are to Asia and last around 10 days in total. I travel with only a carry-on. I pack as much as I can but my job has me outside, on site, usually getting dirty. Can't stand flying in dirty clothes so off to the laundry they go.

Prices vary greatly depending upon the cities and the hotels. I've paid $32 to have 1 pair of jeans cleaned but have also had 4 shirts and 2 pairs of slacks cleaned and folded for less than $5. Either way, nothing beats that 'fresh' feeling before the long flight home.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG Elite or something, Marriott Platinum
Car Service

By accident I got car service to the airport. It was the most relaxing ride ever and now I look forward to travel that's too late for shuttles.

I will almost always splurge on local items whether it's art, entertainment or food stuffs/ingredients. I agree it's all about the experience and I enjoy cooking with the fresh pecans from Las Cruces or admiring the piece of art from an outdoor festival or show.

Dropping of my laundry sounds like that will be my new favorite splurge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.