Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Your travel goals - ones you've reached, ones you are aiming to reach.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your travel goals - ones you've reached, ones you are aiming to reach.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 1:12 pm
Used to be 'Scooter'

Programs: Free Agent
Air travel wise, I just want to experience as many different premium cabins as possible.

But one thing that I've been itching to do for years is to take a long and slow drive across the continental US. I've driven from Michigan to California once, but I was in a hurry and wasn't able to stop and look around to see all the interesting things along the way. Unfortunately my schedule is really busy so it's difficult to take the 2-3 weeks necessary for an adventure like this. :-(
Old Sep 21, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by SANspotter
Air travel wise, I just want to experience as many different premium cabins as possible.
Trust me, the magic wears off....
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:00 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, AA GLD, DL FO, Natl Elite
Let's see...

Reached:
Be a business traveler
Get status with something

Bucket list:
All 50 states
All seven continents, for at least four days (except Antarctica). Just need Africa, Asia, Australia, and Antarctica.
Top tier airline status
Travel in first for a very long haul flight (West Coast to Europe, or USA to Asia)
International business travel
See an aurora way way up north
Drive across the USA
Drive up to Alaska
Drive the entire Pacific Coast Highway from the South to the North
Ride one of those scenic passenger trains in Canada
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
Hey it's worth $702 or even more. Meals are included (that's at least half a dozen) AND you can bring your own alcohol which you can't do in coach. Plus the experience makes it worth it, you're basically getting a moving hotel with all meals included and able to see a lot of the country you might otherwise not.
^ We (wife, teenager, and myself) just did the Southwest Chief in July, Chicago-Flagstaff then Albuquerque-Chicago...absolutely loved it and a great value. We may do the Empire Builder next summer or perhaps the Zephyr. My dad's side of the family is a long line of railroaders so I have some other rail journeys in mind but haven't decided yet - Canadian Rockies, one of the long Australian trips maybe.

As for other goals, none of which I've made terribly great progress on yet:

- Each continent including Antarctica. Still need S America, Africa, and Antarctica.

- Visit each extreme point of the 50 states and of U.S. territory in general (most are different locations). I'm just getting started on this one having only made it to the southernmost point in the 50 states on the Big Island.

- All 50 states and every U.S. territory. I still need 12 more states and all the territories. I may add each Canadian province and territory.

- Space. It's looking like somewhat affordable (relatively speaking) tourist spaceflight - even if only sub-orbital - may be viable in my lifetime (I'm 40).

In addition there are a whole lot of just individual countries, cities and places. I'd like to visit as many countries as possible but so far haven't tried to set a specific goal such as 100 countries...I may though.

I'm undecided what to concentrate on next, though - in fact I sort of have the equivalent of writer's block in trying to decide.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
I don't do a lot of international travel for work (only do maybe once a year or every other year for pleasure), so for several years my goal was to ride in the upper deck of a 747. Finally did it last summer on a trip from Tokyo to BKK and was so tired I conked out and did not get to enjoy it...

I'm also at 49 of 50 US states - only New Mexico remains. So, that's on my list for the next year or two...
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm going to be checking off a goal next month, driving CA-1 from San Jose to Los Angeles. For my birthday I'll be going to Monterey for a FT dinner then taking two days to drive slowly to LA. I'll be stopping in San Luis Obispo, the Solvang Area, Santa Barbara and probably a few more places.
even better if you can do this in a convertible with a standard transmission ...
Old Sep 21, 2014, 7:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl767
even better if you can do this in a convertible with a standard transmission ...
Doubt my rental car will be a convertible and I have to make a confession...

...I don't know how to drive stick
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:03 pm

Fill up a 48 page passport before its expiry.

A difficult task given that I am a dual national, which splits it up and since one of them is a EU passport I don't get stamps to a lot of countries. A lack of visa's needed - while it can be a blessing sometimes - doesn't help with my goal.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:44 am

Done:
Perpetual travel (no home)
170 countries (missing only the impossible, those lacking meaningful modern local culture and those that force every traveler to be a tourist). Must also ride a bicycle in each of those countries.

Future:
Actually fly somewhere in first or business class (not a spontaneous upgrade on an LAX to SFO or during a medical evacuation)
Visit a really nice hotel / really nice place (I'm overwhelmed by a place like the Park Hyatt Chicago, but I know it isn't "luxury" by many people's standards.)
Ride in a town car/black car.

The latter three goals are inconsistent with my work life. Someday.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Sep 22, 2014 at 11:01 am
Old Sep 29, 2014, 2:45 am

I'm planning to become a travel blogger some time soon. I know it will not be easy especially in financial terms but I'll find new ways to travel cheaply. In a third world country where I belong, visas are hard to get, we have to have a lot a money and of course good record before we are given the visas to travel the countries that requires them. With passport, our travel goals are limited to few but hopefully, time will come that our country will be allowed to travel to more countries without visas. My travel goals is to reach every country in the world. My ultimate travel goal is to ride the Virgin Galactic. I know they are not easy but I do believe that I will be able to achieve them!!!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Argh, I have so many travel dreams.

I want to visit every NHL arena. So far I'm at 17/30. I'll be at 18 by the end of the year. As a Canadian, you might think I would've been to all of ours. Not so. It's much pricier to go to Toronto than it is to LA (from YVR). Even going to somewhere like DC or NY is often cheaper than YYZ (even if you have to connect there).

I'm interested in visiting every continent...not much progress there. Europe/South America/North America annnnd I'm stuck lol.

Desperately wanna go to Russia. Every time I start kinda planning it out I get stuck on the visa and the red tape. 2015 might just be the year. I'd really love to ride the Trans-Siberian Railway across the country as well, but that's a long shot since it takes so long. Also, I'm oddly curious about visiting the border region with North Korea, I just think that'd be fascinating.

I decided I wanted to go to Colombia. That was 10 trips and 6 years ago, I'm hooked, bought an apartment. As the slogan goes "the only danger is not wanting to leave". It's held me back from going elsewhere because whenever I get time off the first thing I think is Colombia.

Having been to an Olympics, albeit in my own city, I'd love to go to a world cup. Might be able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone if they don't pull the event from Russia.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior

This one makes me chuckle because at lots of airports it's cheaper than a taxi! Come to YVR and take a cab downtown in rush hour, guaranteed the limos/town cars outside the airport woulda been cheaper
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
I try to visit one new country each year. Some years I make it, some I do not. Then there are years I visit more than one new country so it averages out. I have lost count as to the exact number.

A singular highlight was when I was a kid my Grandmother would send me post cards from her travels. I had a great collection. She stopped traveling when she got into her early 90s. As I traveled more frequently I would send my Grandmother post cards from my travels. Many times from places she had visited 30-40 years before hand. Just before she died she gave me her post card collection as she had saved all of the post cards I had sent her.
That's nice that you interacted with your grandmother!

I haven't lost track of the exact number. My original goal was 50 countries, 50 U.S. states. I am almost there. Now my goal is to just have time to go some place once a year, even to a country and city that I've been to before.

I enjoy going to a place that I've been to before, even if it is common, like London. Merely going to a new country to reach the old goal of 50 is no longer a goal.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:56 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Future:
Actually fly somewhere in first or business class (not a spontaneous upgrade on an LAX to SFO or during a medical evacuation)
Visit a really nice hotel / really nice place (I'm overwhelmed by a place like the Park Hyatt Chicago, but I know it isn't "luxury" by many people's standards.)
I'm perplexed at how you've lived a life of perpetual travel (no home) and visited 170 countries yet haven't done any of these three things. These are simply matters of choosing to spend money. Yes, visiting 170 countries usually requires spending money, but it also requires significant time and effort. Whereas staying at a luxury hotel simply requires a person who's already traveling to decide, "Hmm, I'll opt to spend $400/night to stay at a luxe hotel on this trip instead of $150/night." Riding in a town car is even more trivial, as calling ahead for an executive car service to ride to/from the airport is in many places cheaper than hailing a taxi.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA, AA, IHG, SPG, CC
What a cool thread! The replies have been thought-provoking.

For me, thinking about travel goals is at once overwhelming and exhilarating. I think I'm struggling with an old mindset that allowed me to make all kinds of excuses for not traveling; that, by choosing a goal or a destination, I'm shunning all others because of limited finances. I guess it's a scarcity mindset, which I'm not proud of.

Anyway, thanks to miles & points, I just got back from my first trip to Europe, and now I'm hooked. One day I want to have very specific goals like a lot of other people here, but for now, my biggest one is:
* at least one new stamp in my passport every year (I live in Los Angeles and haven't been to Mexico since we needed a passport / have never been to Canada, so this one won't be too hard )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.