FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Your travel goals - ones you've reached, ones you are aiming to reach.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 6:13 pm
84fiero

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by CMK10
Hey it's worth $702 or even more. Meals are included (that's at least half a dozen) AND you can bring your own alcohol which you can't do in coach. Plus the experience makes it worth it, you're basically getting a moving hotel with all meals included and able to see a lot of the country you might otherwise not.
^ We (wife, teenager, and myself) just did the Southwest Chief in July, Chicago-Flagstaff then Albuquerque-Chicago...absolutely loved it and a great value. We may do the Empire Builder next summer or perhaps the Zephyr. My dad's side of the family is a long line of railroaders so I have some other rail journeys in mind but haven't decided yet - Canadian Rockies, one of the long Australian trips maybe.

As for other goals, none of which I've made terribly great progress on yet:

- Each continent including Antarctica. Still need S America, Africa, and Antarctica.

- Visit each extreme point of the 50 states and of U.S. territory in general (most are different locations). I'm just getting started on this one having only made it to the southernmost point in the 50 states on the Big Island.

- All 50 states and every U.S. territory. I still need 12 more states and all the territories. I may add each Canadian province and territory.

- Space. It's looking like somewhat affordable (relatively speaking) tourist spaceflight - even if only sub-orbital - may be viable in my lifetime (I'm 40).

In addition there are a whole lot of just individual countries, cities and places. I'd like to visit as many countries as possible but so far haven't tried to set a specific goal such as 100 countries...I may though.

I'm undecided what to concentrate on next, though - in fact I sort of have the equivalent of writer's block in trying to decide.