Getting help with a bag after surgery

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver thanks to Million Miles; Choice Plat., point scrounger everywhere

A friend of my wife's had surgery a couple of years ago and when she asked a stewardess to help her put her carry-on in the overhead bin she was curtly told, "That's not my job." Another passenger helped so it wasn't the end of the world.

Now my wife has had surgery and is going to need help putting her carry-on in the overhead compartment. I'm sure she can ask a fellow passenger. Or should she mention the problem to the gate agent?

Thanks.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:49 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Rebelyell
A friend of my wife's had surgery a couple of years ago and when she asked a stewardess to help her put her carry-on in the overhead bin she was curtly told, "That's not my job." Another passenger helped so it wasn't the end of the world.

Now my wife has had surgery and is going to need help putting her carry-on in the overhead compartment. I'm sure she can ask a fellow passenger. Or should she mention the problem to the gate agent?

Thanks.
That's sad.

I usually lend a hand when the need calls for it. I recall one case where a woman recently had her tailbone (coccyx) removed, so I helped with a couple of carry-ons. Have also volunteered when someone is wheeling two large suitcases around the airport.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
At least with most US airlines, I believe the excuse is they aren't supposed to help lift bags overhead due to insurance reasons. Does that mean no crew member will help? No, it just means that if she absolutely needs help then it may be better to travel with a bag that can definitely go under the seat instead of relying on help that, unfortunately, may not come.

Last edited by wrp96; Apr 24, 2014 at 2:02 pm
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One way to assure that she gets no help is to refer to a Flight Attendant as a Stewardess !

Seriously, a recommendation to always be self-sufficient. If you can't lift a bag, check it. You can never count on anything.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:24 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I'm sure someone or another will help. I wouldn't worry about it. The plane can't take off until all luggage is secured. What are they going to do, ask her to get off?
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Rebelyell

Thanks.
We don't know the full story.

Did she explain the full circumstance and reason for assistance
request to the FA?

As someone else pointed out, I really hope she did not refer to
the FA as stewardess.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i am a 76 yo incontenent male. i can probably get my bag up. i have always been offered/had assistance. i have collapsed into the ailse on occasion. someone has always picked me up and put me back in my seat. these are not jokes. i have gone down half a dozen times. someone always jumps up and assists me.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

Many flight attendants will help - but FA themselves are also getting older so heaving bags overhead is not always an option for them. Plus, while a passenger heaves one bag a flight attendant might be asked to heave a dozen in a day.

The bottom line is: if you can't lift it - don't bring it.

The airline will check your bags or UPS will pick them up at your door and deliver them to your door.

Usually other passengers will help. But realize that there are no giarantees.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It will be a sad day indeed when at least someone doesn't offer to help out. (Some obviously can't due to their own limitations.)
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight

The bottom line is: if you can't lift it - don't bring it.
This ^
Old Apr 24, 2014, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by slawecki
i am a 76 yo incontenent male. i can probably get my bag up. i have always been offered/had assistance. i have collapsed into the ailse on occasion. someone has always picked me up and put me back in my seat. these are not jokes. i have gone down half a dozen times. someone always jumps up and assists me.
TMI
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:04 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Issue for the FA is the weight of the bags is unknown. Baggage handlers have specific equipment for schlepping bags (braces etc). Answering "not my job" is not the best response. Answering, "sorry due to liability issues, FA are not permitted to assist passengers with lifting bags into bins".

As for the OP, the best course of action would be to check the bag or ask another passenger or place the bag under the seat.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Yet, I often see FAs helping lift carry-ons. In fact, a few weeks ago, I was trying to put my luggage in an overhead, dropped my cane I was balancing on, and the FA almost ran over to help. I appreciated it. In almost all cases, even when an FA isn't near, fellow passengers help out. BTW, I am not yet 76 y.o. (like poster #7), but I am 70.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:51 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold

On foreign airlines, especially Asian ones, FAs have always offered and in some cases insisted on helping place bags in the overhead. This was in F/J so uncertain if it is always the case in Y.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:53 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
It depends on how one asks... technically it is not the FA's job to help with luggage and there is liability issue if she gets injured.

Some FAs will help, some won't. In my experience there is a better reaction to "Excuse me, I had a surgery, would you mind helping me with my luggage" than to "Would you get my luggage in the overhead bin". Plus - if someone is unable to get on the plane on their own, airports provide wheelchairs and then the person helping WILL deal with the overhead luggage as well. If one chooses not to use help, they cannot blame anyone for not helping.

Even though someone will most likely help, I would say that if she cannot lift the bag, she should check it in and not carry on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.