Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Swap Request Horror Stories

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsqrott
My husband and I have had separate seats plenty of times, sometimes it's necessary due to the seating configuration as I'll sit with our son & the better half will sit elsewhere.
My parents often sit separately on public transport ... my dad has built himself a private painting studio at the bottom of the garden ... my mother has her own study/reading room in the house ... whenever I ask why they spend so much time doing their own hobbies in private despite living together I am assured "it is the secret of a happy marriage"
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by the phoenix
Let me ask something for clarification. I just booked seats for 4 for travel 6 and 8 months from now. Im anal and like to check seatguru and DO pick my seats as early as possible, months in advance. And since I have kids and am a kid at heart, I dont mind a window+middle seat when traveling with family.

All that said, when you choose seats so far in advance, then we have to check in (usually online about 24 hrs prior to the trip, do I have to *scramble again* to re-confirm my seats? OR is my initial selection respected/abided by?
On UA, you should check daily, they'll probably split you up and you'll find your original seats taken by somebody else, with the agent telling you they can't be moved (unable to explain why you could be moved).

On other airlines you're probably safer.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by rsqrott
Again, the gent in the aisle seat was a total rock star. He remained calm and had rational answers for everything. I was thinking "another FTer?" because he was so quick with his rational responses that really couldn't be argued with (though the FA did try...and try). I was just amazed at the offer to move him to an aisle in economy like she was doing him a favor.
I would agree, he handled it great. My point was that most of the time bullies take the path of least resistance and simply not engaging them or enabling them to do what they want is easier.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by the phoenix
Let me ask something for clarification. I just booked seats for 4 for travel 6 and 8 months from now. Im anal and like to check seatguru and DO pick my seats as early as possible, months in advance. And since I have kids and am a kid at heart, I dont mind a window+middle seat when traveling with family.

All that said, when you choose seats so far in advance, then we have to check in (usually online about 24 hrs prior to the trip, do I have to *scramble again* to re-confirm my seats? OR is my initial selection respected/abided by?
don't expect the airline to respect your initial selection, even if there is no equipment change. check at least once a week, daily as your trip gets closer.

i became convinced that delta has an algorithm, where if it determines that you are traveling with a child under 6, it will automatically change your seats, so you are not sitting next to your kids.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
My parents often sit separately on public transport ... my dad has built himself a private painting studio at the bottom of the garden ... my mother has her own study/reading room in the house ... whenever I ask why they spend so much time doing their own hobbies in private despite living together I am assured "it is the secret of a happy marriage"
^ When my wife and I fly together we always sit together because her English is weak so she needs my help ordering meals, etc. But I have to give a thumbs up for the comment about the happy marriage. I have a man cave at home and my wife has a woman cave. We wave at each other from time to time as one of us walks by the other's "domain".
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Simple passive aggressive behavior. They lack the personal strength to challenge a usurper in real life and then later come to sites like this to complain. The are often identifiable by phrases like "what I should have done was...."

They are doormats, loathe themselves for it but can't seem to break the cycle and stand up for themselves.
Because the big guy didn't do anything to me, it wasn't his fault, so why embarrass him???
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
^ When my wife and I fly together we always sit together because her English is weak so she needs my help ordering meals, etc. But I have to give a thumbs up for the comment about the happy marriage. I have a man cave at home and my wife has a woman cave. We wave at each other from time to time as one of us walks by the other's "domain".
So true. Man cave and Woman cave. I love it the way you phrased it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
On long flights, I prefer to sit with my husband - I'd rather lean towards him when I sleep than try to sit upright next to a stranger. On short flights, it doesn't worry us if we are seated apart.

We've been married for 44 years, we use separate parts of the house for our work areas and hobbies, and we take separate holidays about once a year. We enjoy each other's company, but we believe in the need to give each other space.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by msiamsia
So true. Man cave and Woman cave. I love it the way you phrased it.
Down here, we call it a Shelia Shed.

Im not sure where this fits but recently on a 1-2 seat config Delta F flight, we were bumped to an earlier flight on arrival at LAX and hubby got 1A and I got 1C and I had a stranger sitting in 1D.

Mr 1D offered repeatedly to swap with my hubby so we can sit together so he can get the single seat.

Me: No thanks, its fine.
Him: Don't you want to sit next to your husband?
Me: Mate. We just spent 14+ hours sitting next to each other on a plane, trust me, we both appreciate the alone time.

We're OK sitting separately, just as long as I can get half my meal to him.

Last edited by Osmo; Apr 30, 2015 at 5:07 pm
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Osmo

We're OK sitting separately, just as long as I can get half my meal to him.
Forgot that part. Very important for us. My wife is half my size but I don't care for airline food, even in business or first, but she's happy to eat her meal and all of mine.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Last night my 81 year old mother and I flew from KOA to LAX. I had a seat in the emergency exit row and my mother had an aisle seat a few rows back. We are both Executive Platinum on AA and were flying on award tickets. Not sitting together on the plane does not concern either of us; we are more concerned with being comfortable.

When my mother boarded the flight, a man was sitting in her seat. His female companion was sitting in the window seat. She had specifically selected the seat because she prefers an aisle seat and it was designated as a preferred seat by AA. She told the man that she was assigned the seat he was sitting in and asked him to move. He and his companion started whining, griping, and complaining that they had arrived at the Kona airport early so that they could change their seats so that he could have an aisle seat and refused to move. She showed him her boarding pass and he argued with her that he was not moving. He was assigned the middle seat and his boarding pass documented his seat assignment. The flight attendant tried to resolve the situation but the couple would not stop arguing. Finally the FA pointed out that the row across the aisle only had one passenger who was sitting in the window seat. The man eventually moved after being rude, stubborn, and unreasonable. My mother quietly sat in her seat, sipped her complimentary wine, munched on her complimentary snack box, and went to sleep.

Rhetorical question: What kind of a jerk refuses to let an 81 year-old Executive Platinum woman, with a cane, sit in her assigned seat while he behaves like an inconsiderate, rude, obnoxious creep?
Old May 4, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyForFun
Rhetorical question: What kind of a jerk refuses to let an 81 year-old Executive Platinum woman, with a cane, sit in her assigned seat while he behaves like an inconsiderate, rude, obnoxious creep?
I think you answered your own question
Old May 4, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I think you answered your own question
But why would any other passenger care that she's Executive Platinum?

Glad that the FA stood up to the nasty creep.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
But why would any other passenger care that she's Executive Platinum?

Glad that the FA stood up to the nasty creep.
Well no one would care about that, and I wouldn't be bothered whether she was a lady or a gentleman. In fact my line of enquiry would probably end at discovering she was entitled to sit in my seat. But I didn't want to get into it
Old May 4, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Well no one would care about that, and I wouldn't be bothered whether she was a lady or a gentleman. In fact my line of enquiry would probably end at discovering she was entitled to sit in my seat. But I didn't want to get into it
One look at the stick and he should have been out of there like a shot. Ever seen the way those old girls wield those things when they're out doing their supermarket shopping?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.