Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by miniliq
I agree with jlemon on Pro Air Services (SZ),which had DC-3 nonstops to FLL and West Palm Beach (PBI). But I believe the other operator, according to my research, was another obscure (to me at least) commuter carrier -- Aerosun International (MF), with serice to Key West and Tampa.

My question was based upon an OAG I had from late 1981. Utilizing the itineraries pages of the OAG, the only Pro Air segments in my edition were between MIA and EYW. But that's only per my specific OAG. Were your above referenced DC-3 flights also operating in 1981? If not, what years did they operate?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
PA's BDA authority (along with PA's authority from the US Northeast to the Dominican Republic and Barbados) was swapped with AA, in exchange for AA's Hawaii / South Pacific routes. AA kept STL-HNL for a year or two after the route swap, before suspending it in 1977.
Very interesting information and much appreciated! AA was only serving Honolulu once a week in early 1976 on a scheduled basis with a round trip routing of JFK-STL-SFO-HNL operated on Saturdays only. Equipment was a Boeing 707 (perhaps a B707-320).

American was permitted to carry traffic not only between St. Louis and Honolulu but also between New York City and Honolulu. However, it appears no local traffic could be transported nonstop between STL and SFO (although AA was permitted to serve these two markets on a one stop basis) or between SFO and HNL.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by miniliq
12. In late 1981 there were two jet equipped airlines whose entire route map comprised only a single route. Both of these airlines operated the same type of jet over their respective single routes. Can you identify the airlines, the route each one of them flew and the aircraft type operated by each of these airlines?

One I knew -- Muse Air (MC) DC-9 service between Houston Hobby and Dallas Love. The other I found after some digging: Jet America (SI) DC-9 service between Chicago and Long Beach.

[COLOR="Navy"]You da man, miniliq! Well done! The aircraft in particular would be DC-9-80s with Jet America offering what I understood to be a pretty decent First Class service. Anyone here ever get a chance to fly Jet America in any class?/COLOR]

After almost 3 weeks with spotty internet service in the Canadian Rockies (made more challenging by dropping my laptop and breaking the screen), it's good to be back! A great set of questions Seat 2A, and I'm still wrestling with #14 -- every time I think I have a candidate route, it turns out to be direct but not non-stop -- still looking.

Here's a hint: The route was flown with a Convair 580...
Old Oct 20, 2014, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here are the remaining unanswered questions...

The following four questions are based upon schedules published in late 1981

10. This airline offered the only nonstop turboprop flights between New York’s JFK and Boston. Identify both the airline and the aircraft flown.

11. This airline operated the only DC-9-10 service between Miami and Port Au Prince, Haiti A N S W E R E D

14. Aside from Reeve Aleutian’s Electra operations, this was the longest propeller operated flight that I could find in the U.S. Identify the route, the airline and the aircraft type. (With a group of people as knowledgeable as our core participants, I'd not be at all surprised if someone comes up with something even longer than I've found. Let's find out!)
HINT This flight was flown with a Convair 580... A N S W E R E D

16. From Burbank, two airlines operate DC-3 flights to two separate out of state destinations. Identify the airlines and the respective routes flown A N S W E R E D

The following three questions are based upon schedules published in 1959

20. This airline marketed its all-coach DC-6 domestic flights as “Silver Dollar Service”

23. If you were to fly a non-U.S. airline between Miami and Mexico City in 1959, which airline would you call?

24. Every evening except Monday, this airline’s Super Constellation would depart New York’s Idlewild Airport and fly nonstop to Caracas. So uh, what airline was it...?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Additionally, here are twelve BONUS questions. All of them are based upon schedules published in 1966

36. Three airlines offer nonstop service between Anchorage and Seattle. Two of these airlines operate the same type of aircraft on this route. Identify all three airlines and the respective aircraft types operated on this route. A N S W E R E D

37. Who’d have thought you could make three stops between Seattle and Portland? Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the three enroute stops. A N S W E R E D

38. (The jlemon special): Departing Portland each day at 1:00pm, this airline’s flight makes six stops enroute to San Francisco, arriving at 5:20pm. Please identify the airline, the aircraft and the six enroute stops.

39. There’s only one nonstop flight each day between San Francisco and San Diego, flown aboard an all-economy class configured aircraft. Please identify the airline and aircraft operating this flight. A N S W E R E D

40. Six airlines operate four-engined airliners (including both jets and prop-jets) between San Diego and Los Angeles. Three of the six airlines operate two different types of four-engined aircraft on this route. Can you identify the airlines and their respective aircraft? A N S W E R E D

41. Two airlines operate 2-stop propeller driven flights between Los Angeles and Denver. Identify each airline, the prop each flies and the route of each airlines' flight. A N S W E R E D

42. Four airlines offer flights between Colorado Springs and Denver aboard six different models of propeller driven aircraft. Two airlines operate two different types while the other two operate just a single type. Interestingly, no two airlines operate the same aircraft type. Identify each airline and its respective aircraft operated on this route.

43. Only one nonstop flight per day is offered between Denver and Houston. Identify the airline and aircraft type that operate this flight.

44. Not including Alaskan or Canadian airlines, identify ten airlines that were still operating DC-3s within the continental United States.

45. These two airlines combined on a twice daily one-stop interchange flight between Denver and St. Louis. Identify the two airlines, the intermediate stop and the aircraft used. A N S W E R E D

46. (The miniliq special) This airline operated a nine stop service between Dallas and St. Louis with a propeller driven aircraft. Identify the airline, the intermediate stops and the aircraft used. A N S W E R E D

47. Over the years we’ve seen many airlines offer service between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Almost all of these flights were “add-on” flights, having originated elsewhere and stopping briefly at FLL before continuing on to MIA. In late 1966, only one airline provided scheduled service between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. The fare was $2.50 one way. Identify the airline and the two aircraft types utilized on the route.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 25, 2014 at 11:43 am
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:23 pm

Programs: DL, AA
16. From Burbank, two airlines operate DC-3 flights to two separate out of state destinations. Identify the airlines and the respective routes flown

Let try Royal West (TT) to LAS and Pacific National (ZE) to both the Grand Canyon Airport, and LAS.

Last edited by Icecat; Oct 20, 2014 at 8:43 pm
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL, AA
11. This airline operated the only DC-9-10 service between Miami and Port Au Prince, Haiti
Air Florida?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Icecat
11. This airline operated the only DC-9-10 service between Miami and Port Au Prince, Haiti

Air Florida

Correct! I believe Air Florida DC-9-10s wore as many as three different liveries. By 1981 it likely would've been the attractive blue, green and white livery.

16. From Burbank, two airlines operate DC-3 flights to two separate out of state destinations. Identify the airlines and the respective routes flown

Let try Royal West (TT) to LAS and Pacific National (ZE) to both the Grand Canyon Airport, and LAS.

Spot on, Icecat! What a grand way to fly from Southern California to Las Vegas!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:10 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by jlemon
It appears this VC10 service was turned around in Bermuda in order to head back to JFK and thus did not continue on a transatlantic routing.
Well actually it did, because the Bermuda aircraft for years operated LHR-JFK-BDA-JFK-LHR. That aircraft will have done the morning flight from London to New York, and the final evening flight in return. It actually carried quite a few through passengers, although changing flight numbers; not only was it only in very recent years that the direct Bermuda to London service became daily, but fares on this BOAC/BA monopoly route have always been much higher than London to New York, to the extent that it was (and still is) significantly cheaper to go through New York. In the days when Pan Am operated these same sectors they were specifically prevented from ticketing through London to Bermuda passengers on what was seen as a domestic flight (the same applied to London to Hong Kong ticketing on Pan Am's Round-the-World, although all other combinations of O&D on that were OK). There was, however, nothing to stop buying two separate tickets with a stopover in New York.

We do know from previous posts ... that British Airways had quite an operation at JFK at one point. I'm also wondering if the equipment was actually a Super VC10 and not the standard model.
That's an easy one about a 1976 timetable because the last schedule with a Standard was October 1975. In any event, these were generally confined to African and nearer Asian routes, whereas the Supers principally ran across the Atlantic. However, one Standard, G-ARVM, was held on to by BA for four years until 1979 as a spare aircraft, it did odd charters, and got used as a VIP aircraft as required.

Then, on February 22 of that year, British Airways began flying the same exact service with a Boeing 707 (perhaps a B707-436 model) as BA 580 and 581.
possibly a Rolls-Royce aircraft. BA had 5 left at this time, along with 10 of the P&W aircraft.

I was interested in the answer here because BA switched the JFK-BDA route around between the VC10, 707 and B747; it was their second 747 route in 1971 after LHR-JFK, as ever operating the round trip from and to London. It all depended on how tourist travel to Bermuda was going for the year. Looks like things were down in 1976 as the 747 is apparently kept off the route.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:54 am

Programs: BA
However, I'm going to do something else instead: I'm going to ask that everyone send their thoughts, good wishes and prayers this evening to the Good People of Bermuda.

As I write this, Hurricane Gonzalo is now directly impacting the island of Bermuda......
It came across the UK early this morning, and is picking up again now. We've actually had more casualties and damage in London than they had in Bermuda.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29701661

Amazingly London City managed without a single diversion, as the wind was pretty much straight down the runway. Extraordinary to see the departures which climb to 3,000 feet and then level off, they were making such a slow speed over the ground into the headwind that they appeared to be making almost a vertical climb !
Old Oct 21, 2014, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
It came across the UK early this morning, and is picking up again now. We've actually had more casualties and damage in London than they had in Bermuda.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29701661

Amazingly London City managed without a single diversion, as the wind was pretty much straight down the runway. Extraordinary to see the departures which climb to 3,000 feet and then level off, they were making such a slow speed over the ground into the headwind that they appeared to be making almost a vertical climb !
Yep, I was on a conference call this morning with my colleagues in Aberdeen, Scotland and they mentioned the weather in parts of the UK had been "interesting". They then blamed us here in Louisiana for sending "a bloody hurricane" their way.....
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
[B][COLOR="Navy"]

14. Aside from Reeve Aleutian’s Electra operations, this was the longest propeller operated flight that I could find in the U.S. Identify the route, the airline and the aircraft type. (With a group of people as knowledgeable as our core participants, I'd not be at all surprised if someone comes up with something even longer than I've found. Let's find out!)
HINT This flight was flown with a Convair 580...
14. Wild guess time....Cal Sierra Airlines operating nonstop between San Diego and Lake Tahoe.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HINT: This flight was flown with a Convair 580...

Wild guess time....Cal Sierra Airlines operating nonstop between San Diego and Lake Tahoe.

Your wild guesses are often surprisingly accurate, JL, but alas, with this one you're a bit wide of the mark. Please guess again!

Here's another hint: The flight was over 500 miles long

And while we're at it, try not to send any hurricanes up our way!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 21, 2014 at 1:50 pm
Old Oct 21, 2014, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
for some reason I think Aspen Air once ran their CV580s LAX/BUR <--> ASE
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
HINT: This flight was flown with a Convair 580...

For some reason I think Aspen Air once ran their CV580s LAX/BUR <--> ASE

Well whatever the reason for your reason J, you would be correct! ^^ Aspen Airways it was, operating a Convair 580 nonstop from Aspen's Sardy Field to Los Angeles International, a distance of 733 miles. If I were up in Alaska I'd provide you all with the schedule. As it is however, I'm in rainy Seattle bound for Baltimore in the morning. I'll be down in Portland tomorrow night, on to Tampa the next day. Let's hope the upgrades come through, especially on the flight back to Seattle from Baltimore on the 22nd. That's the one upon which I'll surpass 1.5 million miles flown aboard 737s...

You'll find the rest of the questions (plus bonus questions) right HERE

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 23, 2014 at 9:52 pm
Old Oct 24, 2014, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A

45. These two airlines combined on a twice daily one-stop interchange flight between Denver and St. Louis. Identify the two airlines, the intermediate stop and the aircraft used.
This interchange service between DEN and STL was operated by Braniff International and Continental. The intermediate stop (and interchange point) was Kansas City (MKC). Continental aircraft were used on these interchange flights and the equipment was the Vickers Viscount 812 turboprop. BTW, Frontier was the competition operating STL-MKC-DEN flights as well as STL-DEN nonstops. By 1967, Frontier was flying Boeing 727-100 "Arrow-Jet" service on these routes. I also remember when FL proudly served Mateus wine on selected flights. Thus, I was introduced to red wine.....

This interchange service would eventually be discontinued. Braniff then served the STL-MKC route with BAC One-Eleven aircraft while Continental was operating a mix of Viscount and DC-9-10 equipment on the DEN-MKC route.

Last edited by jlemon; Oct 24, 2014 at 7:56 am Reason: additional info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.