Reload this Page >

ExpertFlyer.com - Master Information and Updates Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 17, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hillrider
This thread is for ExpertFlyer Information and Updates only (as per its title) and many subscribe to it for this purpose. For other issues, please see the ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk thread.

If you have any questions about using ExpertFlyer or wish to report any issues, please email them at [email protected].
Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com - Master Information and Updates Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:59 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb 100% SkyTeam Award Coverage

We are happy to announce that ExpertFlyer now has 100% SkyTeam Award search coverage. This also means that Flight Alerts can be used to alert for Award inventory on all SkyTeam airlines.

The following SkyTeam airlines have been added or improved for award searching via the Award & Upgrade search tool:
  • AeroMexico
  • Korean Air (Now supports all routes)
  • China Airlines
  • Mandarin Airlines
  • Vietnam Airlines
  • Saudia
  • MEA Middle East Airlines
  • Aerolineas Argentinas
  • Garuda Indonesia
  • TAROM - Romanian Air

As always, the full list of supported airlines and classes for Award & Upgrade searching can be found here: http://www.expertflyer.com/sessionlessClassList.do

If you have any issues please email us directly at [email protected]
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:40 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club, BA Exec Club
ExpertFlyer - Is it worth it

Hi,
I have skimmed over the various threads on here, and there is one thing I can't work out.
For a regular traveller, using one airline, only flying a couple of destinations (but a lot), is the pro membership on ExpertFlyer worth the money?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:43 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
What features of ExpertFlyer do you plan to use?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club, BA Exec Club
Cabin availability, least occupied flights per cabin, stuff like that.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:07 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by lonemorf
Cabin availability, least occupied flights per cabin, stuff like that.
ExpertFlyer shows fare bucket availability, which is different to actual number of seats sold/unsold.

I find it very useful. Why not just sign up for a month and see?
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:14 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lonemorf
Hi,
I have skimmed over the various threads on here, and there is one thing I can't work out.
For a regular traveller, using one airline, only flying a couple of destinations (but a lot), is the pro membership on ExpertFlyer worth the money?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
Originally Posted by dhuey
Let me put in here a big plug for ExpertFlyer. Even though I'm very much a travel geek, I resisted paying the bucks to get this service until a few months ago. Man, is this useful. I'm quickly finding the award and upgrade information that used to be such a laborious process.

If you look at your miles as your ticket into the premium cabins, EF is well worth the fee.
Originally Posted by dkerr
I've seen people question here and elsewhere the value of ExpertFlyer subscription fee. I thought I would document two cases where EF has clearly paid for itself...

A few weeks ago I was shopping for a New York to Europe flight in June. I had a specific flight in mind and found fares around the $950 mark. But I didn't act. Two weeks ago I decided to buy and went back to book it... fare had jumped to ~$1400. Ugh. United had zeroed out the lower fare classes. Rather than pay the $1400 I suspected that if I was patient they might release seats at the lower fare -- so I set up an EF alert. A few days ago the alert triggered and I went in and purchased the flight at $950.

Last year I had purchased a business class flight New York to SE Asia, it was pretty pricey, fully refundable. I set up an EF alert for the "discounted" business class fare buckets just in case it became available. Remarkably at about 24 hours before flight time the alert fired... I was able to purchase a new business class ticket on exactly the same flights and then cancel my existing ticket... savings in the order of $2000.

Then there are award seat, upgrade and empty seat alerts to which you cannot attach a specific monetary value. E.g. I know that if a higher tier frequent flyer gets upgraded then their nice aisle or window seat at the front of economy will free up... so I put alerts on those so that I can move myself from further back in economy cabin should anything open.

I don't travel nearly as much as i used to, but I have kept my EF subscription active because it really doesn't take much for the $99 to be worth it.

Keep up the good work guys.
Thank you

DAK
Old Nov 13, 2016, 3:18 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb AA Fare Class Changes and ExpertFlyer

As of today, for flights from Jan 11 onward, AA has made changes to how they code their US Domestic First Class cabin on 2-cabin flights. While still marketed as "First", internally the cabin is being treated as a Business class cabin. As such the fare, upgrade and award classes for 2-cabin US domestic flights have changed for flights starting Jan 11:

Paid Class Changes
F -> J
A -> I
P -> D

Upgrade Class Changes
X -> R (as before, not viewable on ExpertFlyer)
A -> C

Award Class Changes
Z -> U

What this means for ExpertFlyer
If you have a Flight Alert for a class code for the First cabin on 2-cabin US Domestic flight then your Flight Alert needs to be updated. To do so:
- Login to your ExpertFlyer account
- Go to the View Saved Alerts page
- In the Flight Alerts section, delete the existing Flight Alert
- Create a new Flight Alert from either the Flight Availability or Award & Upgrade results pages or the Create New Flight Alert page.

If you have any questions about these changes or your alerts, please email us at [email protected] or post in the ExpertFlyer Help Desk Thread
Old Nov 16, 2016, 7:10 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb New Award Airlines - VS, VA, EY

We are happy to announce that ExpertFlyer now has added the following airlines for Award & Upgrade searching:
  • Virgin Atlantic
  • Virgin Australia
  • Etihad Airways

As always, the full list of supported airlines and classes for Award & Upgrade searching can be found here: http://www.expertflyer.com/sessionlessClassList.do

Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:38 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb New Award Airlines - KU & VX

We are happy to announce that ExpertFlyer now has added the following airlines for Award & Upgrade searching:
  • Kuwait Airways
  • Virgin America

Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:57 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb New Points of Sale

We are happy to announce that we have added 4 new Points of Sale for Flight Availability class code data:
  • Germany
  • Singapore
  • Australia
  • Hong Kong

That is in addition to the UK and USA points of sale that we previously supported.

Also as before you can set a default POS from the Preferences tab on the My Account page (on the full website).

As part of this update we now have the ability to add additional points of sale to ExpertFlyer in the future. We have created a survey to collect feedback as to which countries we should add next: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MGQP9VL

If you encounter any issues, please email us directly at [email protected]
Old Jan 18, 2017, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
We are happy to announce that we have added 4 new Points of Sale for Flight Availability class code data:
  • Germany
  • Singapore
  • Australia
  • Hong Kong

That is in addition to the UK and USA points of sale that we previously supported.

Also as before you can set a default POS from the Preferences tab on the My Account page (on the full website).
Thank you for this news. That will be useful - indeed, for me the new POS searches are already proving their worth.

I did notice that my POS default setting has been reset to US (from UK) as part of this upgrade. It's no hassle to change it back via the Preferences tab, but I thought I might mention it in case anyone else wonders what's gone wrong (especially if they get unexpected search results without noticing a change in the POS default).
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:43 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Thank you for this news. That will be useful - indeed, for me the new POS searches are already proving their worth.

I did notice that my POS default setting has been reset to US (from UK) as part of this upgrade. It's no hassle to change it back via the Preferences tab, but I thought I might mention it in case anyone else wonders what's gone wrong (especially if they get unexpected search results without noticing a change in the POS default).
You're welcome.

Fixed, all previously set UK POS preferences will work now, thanks for letting us know.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
We are happy to announce that we have added 4 new Points of Sale for Flight Availability class code data
^ ^
Old Feb 1, 2017, 1:30 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb Removal of "2 zero flights only" restriction

We're excited to let you know that our reservation system provider has removed the restriction where only a maximum of 2 flights that have zero inventory are returned for a search.

Now, when doing an Award/Upgrade or Flight Availability search for airlines using that reservation system, such as AA, all flights with zero availability will be returned. This will allow for easier creation of Flight Alerts for those flights, especially for had to find awards and upgrades.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:50 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23
Original Poster

Lightbulb Additional Points of Sale Added

We are happy to announce that we have added 6 new Points of Sale for Flight Availability class code data:
  • Brazil
  • France
  • Italy
  • Spain
  • Switzerland
  • UAE

This is in addition to the points of sale that we previously supported:
  • Germany
  • Singapore
  • Australia
  • Hong Kong
  • USA
  • UK

If you encounter any issues, please email us directly at [email protected]

(Our apologies about the lack of alphabetic sorting of the list, this will be addressed next week.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.