FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ExpertFlyer.com - Master Information and Updates Thread
Old Oct 16, 2016, 8:14 am
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by lonemorf
Hi,
I have skimmed over the various threads on here, and there is one thing I can't work out.
For a regular traveller, using one airline, only flying a couple of destinations (but a lot), is the pro membership on ExpertFlyer worth the money?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
Originally Posted by dhuey
Let me put in here a big plug for ExpertFlyer. Even though I'm very much a travel geek, I resisted paying the bucks to get this service until a few months ago. Man, is this useful. I'm quickly finding the award and upgrade information that used to be such a laborious process.

If you look at your miles as your ticket into the premium cabins, EF is well worth the fee.
Originally Posted by dkerr
I've seen people question here and elsewhere the value of ExpertFlyer subscription fee. I thought I would document two cases where EF has clearly paid for itself...

A few weeks ago I was shopping for a New York to Europe flight in June. I had a specific flight in mind and found fares around the $950 mark. But I didn't act. Two weeks ago I decided to buy and went back to book it... fare had jumped to ~$1400. Ugh. United had zeroed out the lower fare classes. Rather than pay the $1400 I suspected that if I was patient they might release seats at the lower fare -- so I set up an EF alert. A few days ago the alert triggered and I went in and purchased the flight at $950.

Last year I had purchased a business class flight New York to SE Asia, it was pretty pricey, fully refundable. I set up an EF alert for the "discounted" business class fare buckets just in case it became available. Remarkably at about 24 hours before flight time the alert fired... I was able to purchase a new business class ticket on exactly the same flights and then cancel my existing ticket... savings in the order of $2000.

Then there are award seat, upgrade and empty seat alerts to which you cannot attach a specific monetary value. E.g. I know that if a higher tier frequent flyer gets upgraded then their nice aisle or window seat at the front of economy will free up... so I put alerts on those so that I can move myself from further back in economy cabin should anything open.

I don't travel nearly as much as i used to, but I have kept my EF subscription active because it really doesn't take much for the $99 to be worth it.

Keep up the good work guys.
Thank you

DAK