DH
Original Poster

Personal VPN Recommendation?

Search engine won't let me search VPN.

Which VPN do you recommend?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 12:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
What are you trying to do? Can you explain a bit more? Are you trying to connect to your home computer / network? What exactly do you need to connect to, and where from?
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

For three letter terms you have to surround them with quote marks. A search on "VPN" returns quite a few results - probably too many.

Try this thread out (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...setup-vpn.html) to see if it is helpful.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:41 am
DH
Original Poster

Originally Posted by star_world
What are you trying to do? Can you explain a bit more? Are you trying to connect to your home computer / network? What exactly do you need to connect to, and where from?
I'm trying add security to unsecured wi-fi connection.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep an eye on this:

http://ipredator.se/

It's from the people behind The Pirate Bay
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by DH
Win or Mac OS? FWIW, here's something for mac and iPhone users:
http://db.tidbits.com/article/9881
Old Mar 27, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.109 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

VforVPN.com has been good for me. It is around five bucks a month and has pretty good throughput. I use it for watching hulu abroad and it is fine.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 10:46 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by DH
Are you the owner of the wi-fi connection? If so instead of using VPN you should use the WPA or even better WPA2 encryption standard for your wi-fi connections.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:30 am

I'm guessing you want VPN security for non-encrypted WiFi at coffee shops, airports, and hotels?

I use StrongVPN (www.strongvpn.com). I know somebody that uses HotSpot, but I've never used them so I can't vouch for them.

StrongVPN has several locations you can asked to be assigned to. You can't change your assigned location that easily, so it's not like you can change to the closest one with every trip. I use the DC server and have no problems. I've used the SLC and Dallas servers without problems too.

EDIT: Apparently you can change servers easily now by doing so online. Also, unless you're dealing with some very secure stuff, StrongVPN should suffice. I doubt you need OpenVPN unless your company requires that level of security, and if they did, they should be providing your VPN service for you. Despite its name, OpenVPN is stronger than StrongVPN for security, but it's also more resource intensive on your CPU and slower for internet connectivity.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
I have a D-Link DIR-330 router that I use at my home. It supports inbound VPN connections, which can then browse out through it.

Works very well when browsing from Starbucks, etc. I can make all traffic route through the VPN tunnel, and then out through my home Internet connection. I rarely use it for this purpose, but it has been useful in some cases when traveling internationally and I need to access a website that requires a US-originating IP address.

The uplink speed of my home cable connection is about 1.5Mbps and I can reach this speed over the VPN without any problems. Very quick to set up also.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I run Tomato firmware on my home router and create an SSH tunnel to that when I feel like I need it.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Witopia offers a very reasonably priced PersonalVPN service, which includes access via OpenVPN (or PPTP)
http://www.witopia.net

$40/yr.
Discount codes sometimes available--try SHEXPT to save 10%

EDIT: Their pricing just changed--$40/yr just PPTP, $60/yr OpenVPN, $70/yr both
But...they've added some features to their OpenVPN service (UK servers, more US servers, ability to choose servers, higher encryption)

Last edited by soitgoes; Apr 2, 2009 at 8:29 pm
Old Apr 18, 2009, 2:10 pm

Slicky Proxy is the fastest personal VPN

I've tried some of the personal VPN's above but have found none to be as fast as Slicky Proxy. They use hardware based SSL VPNs which are much faster than the other software VPN solutions.

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 22, 2009 at 12:56 pm
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:07 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Looking for a VPN provider

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered - I did some searches and did not find it.

As I will soon be traveling to a country that is very high on censorship and where services such as Skype, Flickr, all domains from a certain other country, etc. are blocked, and as, aside from that trip, I would like to be able to access certain sites and services that only offer their site to users within their country, I would like to find a VPN provider that enables me to circumvent these restrictions.

My criteria:

1) Serious/trustworthy provider (nothing shady)
2) Fast speed
3) Ideally, I would like to be able to select session-by-session where I want to be seen as accessing the site from (e.g., if I use Zattoo and they will only show certain TV channels to me if they think I am accessing from Switzerland, I want to be able to give that impression, if I access a site in the USA that only shows their content to users from the USA, I want to be able to give that impression, etc.)

Basically, I want to be able to access any site and use any service from anywhere without compromising speed or security .

Are there any good providers out there that you could recommend?

I should also mention that I am using a Mac.

Thanks.

P.S.:

By googling, I have so far found providers called www.blacklogic.com, www.banana-vpn.info, http://vpn-sh1.reliablehosting.com/strongvpn/, http://www.happy-vpn.com/ - not sure they all look very "professional".

Edit: Just also found this thread here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...streaming.html

But perhaps someone has updated info/recommendations?
Old Nov 30, 2010, 7:25 pm

Programs: Turkish Airlines Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Accor A-Club Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
As you may have seen in the Netflix thread, I recently returned from a RTW where I used VyprVPN with my Mac/iPhone/iPad.

I had a very good experience using their service and you can read my full write up here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.