Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VOIP Help...US number, but used in EU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2007, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by phachak
I will be doing a trial run with T-mobile hotspot at home service in Germany with my travel there next week. I have read reports of this working overseas (in the UK) already so I believe mine will work also. My hope is since the service works with any available T-mobile hotspot, I can use the service for free when I am away from the Wireless router also. Will report back by the end of next week.
Good luck. I read one nice "feature" of the Wifi phones is that if you are calling for free from home or a Wifi point then start walking and the phone switches to the network, the call continues to be free. But it also works in reverse.

plchan - I have to take baby steps with them I think VOIP like BV should be more than enough for them to the point where the cell can be cancelled to lowered to a very low plan.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 4:55 am

I would post this issue on dslreports. They have a very active VOIP section and you can hear about all providers.

Viatalk is one of the few providers who cares about use abroad. I've used many providers abroad with no problem. Vonage is a good possibility because they include international calls to many EU destinations in their plan. Broadvoice offers some flexibility in voice usage, but there have been a number of complaints by people that Broadvoice places unfair usage restrictions on their international plans.

Another solution might be to port your number to TMobile. For $10 more a month, they have a plan called hotspot at home which gives you unlimited US calls when your phone is on a hotspot. The phone works fine from abroad.
That way, you have a phone for US visits and are free if you leave the phone at home in Europe. Just another suggestion. It also gives a phone with international roaming. When you relocate to a new country it is hard to qualify for international roaming.

Stu
Old Sep 25, 2007, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta Silver, IC Ambassador, Spg Gold
So I tried my hotspot@home phone in Germany and it does work once you are connected to a wifi network. It does NOT work with T-mobile hotspots in Germany though as it doesn't automatically connect like it does in the US. Even if you sign up to the hotspot using your laptop, you cannot enter the MAC address of your phone, and the phone cannot view the signup page to enter user/pass.

In summary you can get it to work at home near your wifi router, or any AP that is open or you know the security key. It does not work with hotspots overseas that have a signup page, even if they are T-mobile.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:03 pm

When I travel, I pack a DLink Travel Router:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346

I can hook the device up to a USB port on my notebook and ethernet jack and rebroadcast/share a hotel or hotel connection. When using on my notebook, I enable internet connection sharing between my wifi adapter and my ethernet.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:34 pm
Mul

Have you look at magicJack? When I was traveling to Asia, I took the device with me, and made phone calls back to US.
It's US $ 40 for the first year, and the next year is $20. You have a local US phone number, incoming or outgoing calls within US / Canada are free. The quality of phone call were good, depending on your ISP connection.
You'll need to plug in their USB device into your computer, and you can either use headset, or regular phone plugged into the jack in USB device.
www.magicjack.com for more details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.