Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VOIP Help...US number, but used in EU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2007, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Question VOIP Help...US number, but used in EU

Hi, hopefully someone here could help me with my question. My folks might be working in Europe next year and asked me to find out what I can about getting them VOIP in Europe, but having a local US number that people can call (work, companies, friends, etc).

They currently keep a US cell phone so people can leave messages and such. This is a terrible setup to check voicemail messages by calling from overseas. I'd like to be able to set the cell phone to forward most, if not all, calls to the VOIP number and letting it ring at their place (the time difference won't be a big issue).

I guess the only other need is to have a physical headset as opposed to using a computer and microphone.

Can anyone recommend something or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

p.s. has anyone experimented with T-Mobile's new phones that can call for free over Wifi?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:09 am

Programs: US CP, *wood Gold, Marriott gold, Hilton something
The good news is there are tons of options...the bad news is that there are tons of options.

The more traditional route is to get a VoIP provider with US numbers ... its as simple as signing up with someone like Broadvoice.com (I've used them for years, but their service has mixed reviews) or even Vonage. Telasip.com is also high on quality and poor on service (a trend I'm afaride). Broadvoice is $24/month to call almost anywhere in the Western world. They send you a box...internet in one port, phone in the other...done

I think a lot of people would suggest Skype - you can a handset and you can get boxes that will let you connect your house phones via skype. Skype out plans are fairly cheap, but I cannot quote exact prices since I dont use them.

Check out GrandCentral - google's new acquisition. I follow ed them closely before google snapped them up and I think its still the same service. They can forward numbers, etc...not sure about international though.

Then there is the nerdly route... build a PBX for them. With a $60 used Dell Optiplex from ebay you can install the free Elastix (http://www.elastix.org/ ) software which turns that computer into a very powerful telephone system. From there you can provide them EU numbers, US numbers, call back services, forwarding services (IE people in US call a US number to reach them, people in EU call a EU number to reach them...they can call a local number to connect to the PBX which will let them call US numbers like they were local...)...you can make it do virtually anything. Of course it still requires getting numbers and service from someone. For strictly inbound numbers I like Voxbone.com, for inbound and outbound Broadvoice has a BYOD (bring your own device) plan that is like $5/month for 100 minutes and quite cheap after that. The system can mix and match services to get the cheapest routing, etc... Again, very nerdy way of doing it...but very powerful too.

I have not used the T-mobile phones... but I do have a Nokia e61i that has built in WiFi and VoIP support. You still need a provider, in my case I use my home-built server, but its great. When I'm traveling if I can find an open access point, I can make free calls.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 7:54 am
Original Poster

SpaceBass - Thank you for the reply. I'm glad to here that this is do-able. I know computers pretty well, but not much about VOIP since I've never had a need for it.

I guess my follow-up question (just so that I'm clear) is that signing up with a US-based VOIP like Vontage or Skype will still allow me to use their "hardware" in Europe?

If so, then will make forwarding the cell easy or they can simply give out VOIP number.

Thanks again.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Rogi

I guess my follow-up question (just so that I'm clear) is that signing up with a US-based VOIP like Vontage or Skype will still allow me to use their "hardware" in Europe?
I know Broadvoice doesnt care where the hardware is plugged in. I'd assume most of them do no.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SpaceBass
I know Broadvoice doesnt care where the hardware is plugged in. I'd assume most of them do no.
Thanks. I briefly looked through BroadVoice and it looks like the perfect solution with Unlimited World Plus.

Have you had good luck with them?
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
As long as the VOIP device works on 110-220v you should be able to plug it in anywhere. As long as it's connected to the Internet the VOIP provider should not care. You will find that quality varies among the providers. Skype, by the way, has terrible quality IMHO.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 8:37 am

Thanks. I briefly looked through BroadVoice and it looks like the perfect solution with Unlimited World Plus.

Have you had good luck with them?
I have had good luck with them. I have used them for about 4 years now and there have been one or two outtages, early on with my service...usually no more than an hour or so...and every once in a while I get some lag or delay...but its far more reliable than a cell phone, for instance...and for $20 I'm ok with 95% uptime.

To be fair, I know others who have had real problems and swear against them.
I'd say most people in VoIP community think BV is pretty solid though.

Check out www.voip-info.org great source of info.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:38 am

As an update... I just had to call Broadvoice b/c I was having a problem calling Ireland (turns out it was how I was dialing, not them)...very helpful, zero hold time.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and update(s) everyone.

I think I may give BV a chance. My only concern is that some of their calling is business related. I know this is mentioned in their Terms of Use, but how picky are they going to be? I mean will they Google the numbers to see if it's linked to a business? I guess if they keep it reasonable they should be under the radar.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
SpaceBass - Thank you for the reply. I'm glad to here that this is do-able. I know computers pretty well, but not much about VOIP since I've never had a need for it.

If so, then will make forwarding the cell easy or they can simply give out VOIP number.

Thanks again.
I've used Vonage's equipment in Europe and Asia and South America for a number of years now. All I've needed is the Vonage box/ATA, a plug adaptor (i.e., not a converter since the power brick/chord was designated for 110-220/230/240v), a wired broadband internet connection to plug into the Vonage box/ATA device and a telephone to plug into it. Just like done in the US. Works as well as the internet connection.

Your parents may even be able to port their cell phone number over to Vonage and then use that same number, but running on Vonage, to receive and make calls just like they do in the US with a landline.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 13, 2007 at 2:32 am
Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:31 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Your parents may even be able to port their cell phone number over to Vonage and then use that same number, but running on Vonage, to receive and make calls just like they do in the US with a landline.

I did this. I had a GREAT mobile number that I got with a pre-paid account in the US. When the vacation was over I ported it to Vonage and now that number rings back home in Israel. Because I travel so much I have the voicemail set so that it emails me that I have a message. I can then login to Vonage's website from anywhere in the world and listen to the message.

If only the voice quality I am getting could be improved.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 9:45 am

Thanks for the info and update(s) everyone.

I think I may give BV a chance. My only concern is that some of their calling is business related. I know this is mentioned in their Terms of Use, but how picky are they going to be? I mean will they Google the numbers to see if it's linked to a business? I guess if they keep it reasonable they should be under the radar.
I have a few BV lines...I've used one for business for 3 years and never had an issue with them.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I did this. I had a GREAT mobile number that I got with a pre-paid account in the US. When the vacation was over I ported it to Vonage and now that number rings back home in Israel. Because I travel so much I have the voicemail set so that it emails me that I have a message. I can then login to Vonage's website from anywhere in the world and listen to the message.

If only the voice quality I am getting could be improved.
I set it up so that Vonage emails me the voicemail message itself as an attachment file that I can play in Windows Media player on my cell phone as well as on my computer.

I have had issues with Vonage voice quality less often than I used to, but I'm definitely having more issues with outgoing calls where it says "all lines are busy" when other operators are having no such issue and I'm having problems connecting with numbers in the hinterlands of some countries when regular landline operators are going through more routinely.
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, IC Ambassador, Spg Gold
p.s. has anyone experimented with T-Mobile's new phones that can call for free over Wifi?
I will be doing a trial run with T-mobile hotspot at home service in Germany with my travel there next week. I have read reports of this working overseas (in the UK) already so I believe mine will work also. My hope is since the service works with any available T-mobile hotspot, I can use the service for free when I am away from the Wireless router also. Will report back by the end of next week.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 2:14 am

Hi, hopefully someone here could help me with my question. My folks might be working in Europe next year and asked me to find out what I can about getting them VOIP in Europe, but having a local US number that people can call (work, companies, friends, etc).

They currently keep a US cell phone so people can leave messages and such. This is a terrible setup to check voicemail messages by calling from overseas. I'd like to be able to set the cell phone to forward most, if not all, calls to the VOIP number and letting it ring at their place (the time difference won't be a big issue).

I guess the only other need is to have a physical headset as opposed to using a computer and microphone.

Can anyone recommend something or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

I am not sure about the VOIP in EU. However, you might want to setup a GrandCentral (local) number for your folks, and route all calls to vmail. As soon as someone leaves a vmail to your folks, they would get an email notification and they can listen vmail online, store, and forward.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.