FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - VOIP Help...US number, but used in EU
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2007, 2:26 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Rogi
SpaceBass - Thank you for the reply. I'm glad to here that this is do-able. I know computers pretty well, but not much about VOIP since I've never had a need for it.

I guess my follow-up question (just so that I'm clear) is that signing up with a US-based VOIP like Vontage or Skype will still allow me to use their "hardware" in Europe?

If so, then will make forwarding the cell easy or they can simply give out VOIP number.

Thanks again.
I've used Vonage's equipment in Europe and Asia and South America for a number of years now. All I've needed is the Vonage box/ATA, a plug adaptor (i.e., not a converter since the power brick/chord was designated for 110-220/230/240v), a wired broadband internet connection to plug into the Vonage box/ATA device and a telephone to plug into it. Just like done in the US. Works as well as the internet connection.

Your parents may even be able to port their cell phone number over to Vonage and then use that same number, but running on Vonage, to receive and make calls just like they do in the US with a landline.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 13, 2007 at 2:32 am