Reload this Page >

Laptop TV Tuner Recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop TV Tuner Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thanks, gentlemen.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:06 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
All you really need is to make sure the tv tuner device has s-video and l&r audio inputs and it should work just fine. (It would also work with just coax rf in, but s-video is better.)

-David
Just wondering if other countries (other than the UK) have TV licensing and what the situation would be in the UK for a tourist / business traveller using a laptop to get TV. Presumably a hotel licence would cover it in the hotel room but what about elsewhere?
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:37 am

I have no idea what you're asking about licensing, but if you want to use a video capture card in the UK, you will probably need one that can accept PAL input, rather than NTSC. NTSC is the US standard. PAL is the European standard for tv broadcasts.

-David
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:59 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I have no idea what you're asking about licensing, but if you want to use a video capture card in the UK, you will probably need one that can accept PAL input, rather than NTSC. NTSC is the US standard. PAL is the European standard for tv broadcasts.

-David
http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp

this is the worrying bit:

What happens if I don't have a TV Licence?

-
Using a TV or any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a VCR, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) without a valid TV Licence is against the law and could lead to prosecution and a fine of up to 1,000, not to mention the embarrassment and hassle of a court appearance.
-
Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:35 am

They really tax you guys up the gazoo, don't they?

If you buy a TV, you have to license it annually?

I guess you can buy a license for your tuner device.

-David
Old Feb 12, 2007, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
A slightly off the wall idea and I have no idea what DirectTV or DISH use for their encryption or even whether you can buy a Conditional Access Module (or CAM) for them but, there are satellite PCI cards.

http://www.twinhan.com/product_satellite.asp

These simply require the CAM and the valid subscription card and a connection to the dish. They usually ship with software that allows you to use the PC as a PVR. There would probably also be a problem with something like the video format to screw this idea up...

I realise this might not be what the OP was looking for but it's a another idea.

Otherwise http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/pro...a_usblive.html might be an interesting idea as it's USB!

Last edited by Jimmie76; Feb 12, 2007 at 6:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.