Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop TV Tuner Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Laptop TV Tuner Recommendation

I am looking to get a TV Tuner card for my laptop and can't figure out what would be the best product. I do not want a USB one because I want to minimize size and do not want anything else on my desk when im using it. I live in the US so it needs to work here, but I use it a lot in Europe (western) and would like it to work well there. Any suggestions?

Gary
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA former 1K MM
Some questions:
If not USB, how do you want to connect it? PCMCIA card?
Do you want to receive analog (NTSC in the US, PAL in Europe)?
Do you want to receive digital (ATSC in the US, DVB-T in Europe)?
I'm not aware of any products that work both in the US and Europe, but maybe there are.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by redburgundy
Some questions:
If not USB, how do you want to connect it? PCMCIA card?
Do you want to receive analog (NTSC in the US, PAL in Europe)?
Do you want to receive digital (ATSC in the US, DVB-T in Europe)?
I'm not aware of any products that work both in the US and Europe, but maybe there are.
PCMCIA is my preferred choice (although I do have the other smaller slot - I forget the new name for it)
I definitely want it to receive Analog and as for digital it would be preferred to have the US ATSC standard (since I spend more time here in the US). I doubt there are any that do ATSC and DVB-T.

Gary
Old Jan 21, 2007, 4:41 pm

There's nothing out for the ExpressCard right now... and I don't know of any for the PCMCIA slot, but I'm sure they exist.

This is pretty small but it's USB... http://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_hvr950.html

I have this... http://hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvrusb2.html works great with Windows Vista.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I have a Pinnacle HD Pro Stick. It being USB is not a big deal - because you need an antenna hooked up for it to work (which it comes with). I know some people who have PCMCIA tv tuners - and the cards have internal tuners - but most also use a mini-external antenna to really make it work. The HD Pro Stick, remote, and antenna are all prety small, so worth carrying around in exchange for HD.
Old Jan 22, 2007, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Yes they do make PCMCIA DVB-T cards, Freecom do one, Morgan Computers in the UK (and others) sell them. I think they are available cheaper from other sources and I am just a customer and have no other connection to Morgan.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
After reading this thread, I was thinking of buying one of the Freecom PCMCIA ones but had a worry over the spec of the laptop needed to run it. If I have;
a Toshiba Satellite Pro A120SE with Intel Core Solo T1350 (1.86GHz) processor, 256MB DDR2 RAM with Intel 945GM Express graphics - up to 128MB shared.

will the Freecom run given that it requires;
PC: Pentium-III 800MHz, 128MB RAM, 1GB free hard disk space, Windows XP SP1, Graphic Card (supports Microsoft DirectX 9.0 or above)

As I'm unsure.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold A3 Gold DL Gold VY apologist
Are you sure about that laptop? I can't figure out how you got Toshiba to sell you one with on ly 256MB of RAM. I'd say your odds of it working are zero.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well I bought one of these which was still sealed in it's box when I got it (so I don't think the shop swapped any memory out).

I was also curious as to what was more powerful a core duo or a pentium III, cos it's a long time since I last had to worry about this sort of thing.

Edit: I just found this review on Amazon which slates it, so I may go for a cheaper USB one instead.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Feb 9, 2007 at 5:54 pm
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:19 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
I'm going to glom on here and ask what I hope is a related question....

The satellite guy is coming to install satellite tv for us in 10 days (things move slowly here). I've never had satellite before so don't know exactly how it works. The order guy said that there would be two "boxes" that would each control two rooms, for a total of four TVs in four rooms.

One of those "TVs" I would like to be my laptop. What kind of PCMCIA card or USB thingy would I need to connect the signal from "the box" to my laptop? Would those mentioned in this thread work?

(Mods, if this turns out to be unrelated feel free to move/split into its own thread )
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Anyone?
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Anyone?
I'll take a shot.

I think the only thing you'll be able to do is capture the analog output from the sat receiver. I've never heard of a computer peripheral that acts as a sat receiver, so you'll connect the output of the receiver to the input of your capture card and use the sat receiver to tune to what you want. So, yes, any of the analog capture devices mentioned should work, and there are others you can look at.

You might be able to get an IR device that connects to the laptop to allow software to change the channels on the sat receiver so you can tune to the channels unattended. Or, if the receiver has a serial input for control, you may be able to drive it through the receivers serial port.

Do some research. Maybe there's other stuff out there. And I've never tried anything like this. I suppose you could try DBSforums or AVS Forums.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Feb 10, 2007 at 8:20 pm
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:19 pm

Thank you sir. I was probably unclear. I am assuming the receiver box will be on the desk here and indeed what I would want to do is pipe he output to the computer instead of a tv.

I'll do some research

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I'll take a shot.

I think the only thing you'll be able to do is capture the analog output from the sat receiver. I've never heard of a computer peripheral that acts as a sat receiver, so you'll connect the output of the receiver to the input of your capture card and use the sat receiver to tune to what you want.

You might be able to get an IR device that connects to the laptop to allow software to change the channels on the sat receiver so you can tune to the channels unattended. Or, if the receiver has a serial input for control, you may be able to drive it through the receivers serial port.

Do some research. Maybe there's other stuff out there. And I've never tried anything like this. I suppose you could try DBSforums or AVS Forums.

-David
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:36 pm

Thank you sir. I was probably unclear. I am assuming the receiver box will be on the desk here and indeed what I would want to do is pipe he output to the computer instead of a tv.

I'll do some research
All you really need is to make sure the tv tuner device has s-video and l&r audio inputs and it should work just fine. (It would also work with just coax rf in, but s-video is better.)

-David
Old Feb 10, 2007, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone?
Check Ebay for the Adaptec Gamebridge AVC-1410. It's a <$25 external tuner with video inputs that was originally made for recording your games, but the 1410 version of it has a pretty good TV tuner built in. I've got one here and am very impressed with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.