Wiki Posts
Search

App to pronounce unknown words on signs,menus etc using Google translate engine

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

App to pronounce unknown words on signs,menus etc using Google translate engine

Hi

is there an app or website that will pronounce an unknown word after you type it in ?

I know at one time there was something where you took a picture of a sign , uploaded it and it was translated ,

Something like that , you see a sign , or words on a menu , you type it in , or take a picture and the app translates it and pronounces it in the language of your choice ,

it would be great for visitors coming to the USA or any of us overseas ,

And Google seems to have all the info with OK Google and Google translate if someone can mix them together ,

Just hoping it is that easy
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by LAXlocal
I know at one time there was something where you took a picture of a sign , uploaded it and it was translated ,
Search by taking a picture: point your mobile phone camera at a painting, a famous landmark, a barcode or QR code, a product, or a popular image. If Goggles finds it in its database, it will provide you with useful information.

Goggles can read text in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, and Turkish, and translate it into other languages.

Goggles also works as a barcode / QR code scanner.

Features:
- Scan barcodes using Goggles to get product information
- Scan QR codes using Goggles to extract information
- Recognize famous landmarks
- Translate by taking a picture of foreign language text
- Add Contacts by scanning business cards or QR codes
- Scan text using Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
- Recognize paintings, books, DVDs, CDs, and just about any 2D image
- Solve Sudoku puzzles
- Find similar products
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.unveil&hl=en
Old Nov 3, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: Dirt
is there an app or website that will pronounce an unknown word after you type it in ?
Surprise! The Google Translate app does all of that including typing, photo, handwriting and speech as input. Whodathunkit?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msb0b
Surprise! The Google Translate app does all of that including typing, photo, handwriting and speech as input. Whodathunkit?
Ok.......How do I get it to pronounce a word

say I do not know how to say "asparagus" in English , how do I get Google Translate to pronounce it in English

I can see how to translate it to another language , but not typed in English to spoken English

Thanks for the help
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok.......How do I get it to pronounce a word

say I do not know how to say "asparagus" in English , how do I get Google Translate to pronounce it in English

I can see how to translate it to another language , but not typed in English to spoken English

Thanks for the help
The speaker is next to the original as well as the translated word. My wife uses it now and then (English is not her native tongue, sometimes when I show her a word she doesn't know she will use it to say the English a few times.)

Now if I could get it to do the handwriting recognition offline...
Old Nov 3, 2016, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

ummmm Ok , I just tried it on my laptop with Chrome browser and that works , it did not show the mic last time I tried it on another browser....

the android app will not let you "translate" English to English so the word can be spoken....
or at least I could not see a way to do it ( in the last few minutes )

UpDate about app - it seems Google has done some work on this and its better , I can now get english to english to work , but sometimes it defaults to English to Spanish as that is the first thing I put in and maybe I need to re-install to get rid of that ,

I hope other App makers move this along as it is so much better than the old hand held translators of the past

thanks for your help and any other ideas....

Ohhh and is there a way to slow down the speech , maybe it would help to learn the word ......

Last edited by LAXlocal; Nov 3, 2016 at 9:33 pm
Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:25 am

Google Translate use Google Text to Speech app to read the text out. You could adjust the speech rate inside Google Text to Speech settings. It should be under Language and Input settings.

If you just want to read out text and not translating them, you could use other apps that use Google TTS. There are a few of them on the Play store. I think there is a PC chrome extension that does it on the PC too... Speak It or something like that.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
The Microsoft translate app isn't half bad either. It seems a bit better at translating idioms.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:59 pm

ummmm Ok , I just tried it on my laptop with Chrome browser and that works , it did not show the mic last time I tried it on another browser....

the android app will not let you "translate" English to English so the word can be spoken....
or at least I could not see a way to do it ( in the last few minutes )

UpDate about app - it seems Google has done some work on this and its better , I can now get english to english to work , but sometimes it defaults to English to Spanish as that is the first thing I put in and maybe I need to re-install to get rid of that ,

I hope other App makers move this along as it is so much better than the old hand held translators of the past

thanks for your help and any other ideas....

Ohhh and is there a way to slow down the speech , maybe it would help to learn the word ......
Yes, App Developers will surely improve these online translation sites for the coming months. Google Translate is great, I should say. Have you tried other online Translators as well? I heard Babylon is great.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

have tried a few of the other ones ,
but my thoughts are that Google has more voice info than any of the others and the $$$$$ to throw at it ,

But it is great that they let other use the Translate App (engine) to build better Apps which helps google ,

I would love a Tablet that would be OK Google , google translate and text to speech in all the main languages ,
And that you could download the language you need to use and be able to "talk" offline in some remote village.

This would really help open up the world

But right now I am happy with what I have learned here , as the last time I looked into this it was not very good ,

I am sure we will be amazed at what this tech will bring in the future

Last edited by LAXlocal; Nov 7, 2016 at 7:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.