Wiki Posts
Search

Updating Chrome?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Updating Chrome?

Foe the last few days, I've been getting a popup (new web page, actually) urging me to update Chrome now. It's very persistent.

I googled "Chrome Update" and the official procedure seems to indicate I already have the latest version.

Anyone else getting this? I've not done anything with it yet, but it seems odd to me.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Chrome for Windows displays its "menu" icon in green or yellow when an update is available. I think something's trying to hijack your browser.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, Chrome usually updates itself silently. Sounds like you have some malware installed on your computer - run MalwareBytes and see what it turns up.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:18 am

You know I got a new tab popping up in Chrome last night too.. it was something about Help on New Chrome Browser. I ran MalwareBytes... it found a few things (don't look very dangerous) and got rid of them. I have not seen the new tab popping up any more after that, so maybe it did get rid of it. My Chrome is the latest version too. I wonder if this has anything to do with the latest Windows vulnerability that Google found. But I thought Chrome and Edge are supposed to be the 2 safe browsers.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 3:36 am

You may reset your browser settings. If you are using Google Chrome,

a. Ctrl + H
b. Click 'Settings' on the leftmost options
c. Scroll down and click 'Show advanced settings'
d. Scroll down to the bottom and click 'Reset Settings'
e. Click 'Reset'

Bookmarks won't be affected. Another thing is that your browser may have various extensions running that keeps the pop-up from showing. To disable some of these,

a. Ctrl + H
c. Untick the extension/s that seems to be the cause

You may enable the extension/s anytime. Lastly, you may adjust the browser settings for cookies and pop-ups preferences. To do this,

a. Ctrl+H
c. Scroll down and find the 'Privacy' label
d. Click 'Content settings...'
e. Select all that has a 'recommended' label
f. Click 'Done'

Don't forget to restart your browser after doing any of these.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:05 pm

Not sure about those pop-ups, which app is creating them? Can you tell?

some chrome updates require a chrome restart. It won't restart itself, but will update itself the next time it starts or restarts.

Check chrome's 'about' menu to see if you need a restart. (click on the 3 dots, then help, then about google chrome). As mentioned above, the 3 dots change color when you need a restart.

This is what it looks like when you need to relaunch chrome to finish the update.

It's safe to relaunch chrome from chrome's about page, but I wouldn't do anything in that pop-up if you can't identify the source.

-David
Attached Images  

Last edited by LIH Prem; Nov 5, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Good information here!

The funny thing about these popups is that they almost only appear when I'm browsing FT!

Anyhow, this morning the computer just refused to start. The install DVD wasn't able to get it starting, either. Finally figured out a workaround and ran Malwarebytes again (just updated the data base). Finally found something. It got rid of it and am now running Zonealarm on a deep scan. We'll see.

Meanwhile as a precaution I saved all my data to a couple of portable drives, so worst case I would have to reconstruct the computer, at least my data is safe.

Thanks, guys!!
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:33 am

Programs: Hippo
I have the same every day, but I ignore this message.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The crap is still there. Most things are pretty much OK, but FT is almost unusable.

As I said, I have offloaded all my data so I think it's time for a format/reload. The only real pain is locating and re-installing all the apps and drivers. Fortunately, I usually keep a copy of the install executable (for downloaded apps) and I'm pretty sure I have all the CD's, so the only real cost is my time.

I was thinking 'ransomware', but all my stuff is still accessible so that ain't it. Just PITA-ware. Although, I do get a couple of messages (supposedly from Microsoft) claiming I have a dangerous program which will corrupt their systems, and I'd better call 877-857-3016 with error code 268D3 and a helpful technician will walk me through the removal/upgrade procedure. Uh-huh. I'm just about to do that.

Damn! This is my everyday laptop, so I'll be out-of-pocket for a while.

BTW, two of the URL's that I get (could be phony) are:

S3.amazonawd.com
appcloudprotected.com

Don't click on them.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigLar
The crap is still there. Most things are pretty much OK, but FT is almost unusable.

As I said, I have offloaded all my data so I think it's time for a format/reload. The only real pain is locating and re-installing all the apps and drivers. Fortunately, I usually keep a copy of the install executable (for downloaded apps) and I'm pretty sure I have all the CD's, so the only real cost is my time.

I was thinking 'ransomware', but all my stuff is still accessible so that ain't it. Just PITA-ware. Although, I do get a couple of messages (supposedly from Microsoft) claiming I have a dangerous program which will corrupt their systems, and I'd better call 877-857-3016 with error code 268D3 and a helpful technician will walk me through the removal/upgrade procedure. Uh-huh. I'm just about to do that.

Damn! This is my everyday laptop, so I'll be out-of-pocket for a while.

BTW, two of the URL's that I get (could be phony) are:

S3.amazonawd.com
appcloudprotected.com

Don't click on them.
Presuming that you are sure you've copied all of the files and data you need to save, I would certainly re-install the operating system. Your laptop's manufacturer may have a recovery partition to make this easier. (E.g., if you push f2/del/f12—one of those buttons—on a lenovo early in the boot process, you can get to a restoration page.) But whatever caught hold of you won't go easily.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Foe the last few days, I've been getting a popup (new web page, actually) urging me to update Chrome now. It's very persistent.

I googled "Chrome Update" and the official procedure seems to indicate I already have the latest version.

Anyone else getting this? I've not done anything with it yet, but it seems odd to me.
I got one of these as well. The URL address is fishy...definitely don't click it. Use Task Manager to delete.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Nexus
It's entirely possible that your computer is fine, but some web site's advertising rotation service is not. I've seen people get these from perfectly legit sites, including the NY Times.

That said, a run of malwarebytes can't hurt.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
It's entirely possible that your computer is fine, but some web site's advertising rotation service is not. I've seen people get these from perfectly legit sites, including the NY Times.

That said, a run of malwarebytes can't hurt.
My research suggesting that cause of the warning is a malicious script embedded in an advertisement.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Rather than do a complete format/install, I'm first trying a system restore. I have restore points going back a month, so I'm doing that as a first try. If it works, about the only thing I'm missing is a couple of printer drivers, the MS upgrades I've gotten since then, and maybe some other miscellaneous stuff.

Worth a shot - if it works, it's a lot less hassle that a complete installation.

I'll let yez know how it works out.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:04 pm

Rather than do a complete format/install, I'm first trying a system restore. I have restore points going back a month, so I'm doing that as a first try. If it works, about the only thing I'm missing is a couple of printer drivers, the MS upgrades I've gotten since then, and maybe some other miscellaneous stuff.

Worth a shot - if it works, it's a lot less hassle that a complete installation.

I'll let yez know how it works out.
Did you run a scan than showed infection?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.