Reload this Page >

Google Pixel Phones

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Pixel Phones

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 4:48 pm

So is the Nexus 5x at 199/249 still the best cost-effective and decent phone to get for google fi?

I think the new phones are really nice looking, but I don't see a reason to spend that much for a phone when the 5x and 6p are available at much more reasonable prices and they are also pretty decent phones. Presumably they will soon get the new version of the OS and might eventually get the assistant as well, unless they intend to keep that as a competitive advantage for only their new pixel phones.

Comments?

-David
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:05 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
So is the Nexus 5x at 199/249 still the best cost-effective and decent phone to get for google fi?

I think the new phones are really nice looking, but I don't see a reason to spend that much for a phone when the 5x and 6p are available at much more reasonable prices and they are also pretty decent phones. Presumably they will soon get the new version of the OS and might eventually get the assistant as well, unless they intend to keep that as a competitive advantage for only their new pixel phones.

Comments?

-David
At least in the US, the Nexus phones have been removed from the Google Store.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Comments?

-David
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
You can use any recent Nexus device on Fi. Best Buy and Amazon are probably the best places to look for them.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:09 pm

Sure, not from store.google.com, but they are still available by going through google fi.

https://fi.google.com/about/phones/

Anyway, this isn't really addressing my question/observation about the older phones.

-David
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:45 pm

-David
You do not need a Nexus for project fi. Just need to acticate the sim on one
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:52 pm

My understanding of fi is:

If you want a phone that switches seamlessly between the various providers and wifi for voice calls and data, you want one of the phones that they sell (or the earlier models) that has the necessary software to do the seamless switching between cell providers and wifi.

This is for a family members main line, so that's what they want. They also currently use android.

Sure, you can stick their sim in any phone, but it won't do that seamless switching. You can stick a data sim in any phone, but it won't do voice calls. You will not have the best experience with fi by sticking the sim into any phone. Depending on what you are using it for, that might be ok, especially for data only applications.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 5, 2016 at 8:01 pm
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:50 pm

Yep, the 5X is still the most cost-effective for Fi.

You can probably get a used Nexus 6 for less than $200 if money is the main object or if you need the bigger screen.

Watch out when buying 5Xs online, though. There are a lot of people selling the H791 "international" version, which has no CDMA radio and won't work on Verizon, Sprint, USCC or Fi. The US version is the H790.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Sure, not from store.google.com, but they are still available by going through google fi.
https://fi.google.com/about/phones/
Anyway, this isn't really addressing my question/observation about the older phones. -David
DW is using her N6 & love its screen size. My N5X (32GB model) is great, about to reach it's first birthday - on T-Mo USA's plan and only switch over to Fi's data only Sim when traveling abroad (Google Voice/Hangouts & WiFi calling ...)

Running Nougat 7.0 with Oct. security patch, latest bootloader & radio, rooted on custom AOSP rom - it's almost like having the Pixel with the newest launcher sideloaded (thanks to XDA Developers via APMirror site housing it) - stock camera is great and dont' need/care for the VR or other bells & whistles. Not to mention, windows or having split screen with 2 apps running ... don't need Big Brother monitor all the time, oops - I meant Google Assistant, even turned OFF Google Now on mine (enabled only as needed.)

Keep your eyes out for sales/deals on Amazon - going the Fi route is also cool, as even if you cancel services after a month, you get to keep the phone as long as it's paid in full ... Black Fridays/Cyber Mondays came early in 2015 and I will NOT be surprised with a repeat in 2016, so just around the corner.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 11:53 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Google kept taking digs at Apple with this announcement but IMO if I was an Android manufacturer I would be worried. It feels that the lines have been pretty well drawn re: iOS vs android. I don't see this phone as a compelling enough option for an iPhone user to switch over. However, for all of the Android family it's a nice option though it does seem that Samsung offers more attractive phones (though that touchwiz...) Other high end Android manufacturers should be worried that the Pixel is going to take their market share (though are there really anymore still out there???)

Fdw
Old Oct 6, 2016, 6:37 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Given that I'm walking around with a phone that has an unusable USB port and a shattered screen, it's probably no surprise that I ordered one (Pixel, 32GB, Silver) within minutes of the site going live. Personally, I'll be happy to have people stop teasing me about the size of my Nexus 6, though I did pause for a moment to consider the Pixel XL and it's slightly smaller (compared to the Nexus 6) size.

Mr. CE -- a die-hard iPhone user -- is bummed I didn't order the blue one, which is apparently sold out.
Yeah I am probably one of the few that is happy there is a little delay. I leave for a long trip to Europe, and since it can't be here tomorrow I'll feel better knowing it will only be sitting at home waiting for me for a few days before I return.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
They didn't have high volumes with the lower-priced Nexus phones.

Are they going to do better with the more expensive Pixel phones?

Well they will advertise more, it seems.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
At this point in the worlds history I can't believe a new leading smartphone isn't IP67 waterproofed.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 1:06 pm

Currently on the OP3, which is a great phone in its own right, but would have seriously considered getting the Pixel had they included dual sim as a feature. That, coupled with lack of water resistance, has left me quite disappointed.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL, BA, HH
I really enjoy a lot of the features that Android offers (such as dual time zones on the home screen with weather for both. I wish iOS offered that.) but, they cant compete with the privacy and greater security that iPhone offers. Also, every Android phone I have ever used has had significantly worse battery life than iOS. Pixel certainly looks decent, but the privacy and security concerns with Android have kept me away and will continue to do so.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
From an aesthetic standpoint, it really looks like an iPhone sans home button running Android... and that's honestly pretty much what I've wanted for the last ~4 years (and definitely the last ~2 years). I've had my Galaxy S7 for ~7 months now and I'm quite happy with it, but when it comes time to replace it, the Pixel (or, more likely, whatever replaces it, if it's not a major departure) will probably win the day. I've really gotten used to using Samsung Pay, but I'd give it up for the the Pixel if it feels as good in the hand as it looks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.