Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Does Project Fi finally allow non-Google phones on it now? i.e. iPhones or other Android phones
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
All Project Fi sims must be activated on an approved phone; Nexus 5X, Nexus 5P, Google Pixel/XL but after that you can use any unlocked phone that connects with the TMobile network. Without ah Google Phone you don't get access to the US Cellular or Sprint networks but the phone will still work on the TMobile network.
After activated the sim can be put in just about any phone.
Originally Posted by msp3
Does Project Fi finally allow non-Google phones on it now? i.e. iPhones or other Android phones
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
All Project Fi sims must be activated on an approved phone; Nexus 5X, Nexus 5P, Google Pixel/XL but after that you can use any unlocked phone that connects with the TMobile network. Without ah Google Phone you don't get access to the US Cellular or Sprint networks but the phone will still work on the TMobile network.
After activated the sim can be put in just about any phone.
it is a bit more deprecated in function though. the app won't fully work for data usage and features, you'll have to check the website for that (and it isn't always up to date) and wifi calling will be hit or miss. mostly miss.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
There is a YouTube of someone using a Project Fi sim in an iPhone, the voice part worked, but texts and data did not.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:04 am

Use the h2g2 access point and data works in just about anything. iMessages work. It takes a little work with text messages working through Apple, but it can be done. Hangouts works perfectly for MMS and SMS.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Use the h2g2 access point and data works in just about anything. iMessages work. It takes a little work with text messages working through Apple, but it can be done. Hangouts works perfectly for MMS and SMS.
I can confirm this.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:53 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Incidentally, I am sticking with the Pixel XL, so if anyone is interested in buying a used Nexus 6P, PM me -- other than the annoying RMA process I went through (see upthread ) it seems to be working fine again
Old Jun 29, 2017, 10:49 pm

Anyone tried using a non-nexus/pixel phone overseas on Fi?
Able to get the overseas carrier?

tks!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Anyone tried using a non-nexus/pixel phone overseas on Fi?
Able to get the overseas carrier?

tks!
I've been using a data-only sim this way for a long time. No problems
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Anyone tried using a non-nexus/pixel phone overseas on Fi? Able to get the overseas carrier? tks!
Yes @ Taiwan, Bermuda (DigiCel) and Bahamas (BTC) using Fi's data-only Sim, already iPad Mini activated, in iPhone 5S and BLU R1HD dual Sim smartphone - VoIP using Google Voice # and Hangouts calling, plus Skype. Need to manually change the APN settings & reboot.

Also, used in Canada as hotspot.

Last edited by Letitride3c; Jun 30, 2017 at 7:44 am
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Word is the Moto X4 will be coming to Fi during Q4 this year. That's good news for a mid-range phone on the service.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mhdena
There is a YouTube of someone using a Project Fi sim in an iPhone, the voice part worked, but texts and data did not.
That's odd because when I travel overseas, the Project Fi SIM goes into my 6S and everything works (after a reboot) whenever I arrive in a new country. It works in mainland China (with uncensored data), HKG, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore. Like it should.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by abraxis
That's odd because when I travel overseas, the Project Fi SIM goes into my 6S and everything works (after a reboot) whenever I arrive in a new country. It works in mainland China (with uncensored data), HKG, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore. Like it should.
I'm a Pixel user but my wife has no issues with her OnePlus 3t which she uses out of the country extensively.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Project Fi for 1 month?

Mrs snic's phone died and because Verizon was having a sale on the Pixel, we got her one. We are stuck with Verizon for various reasons, but because we are traveling abroad soon, I wonder if it makes sense to sign up for Project Fi for just a month and then cancel. That should cost $20 + $10/GB + at most a few calls and texts + taxes. All told it should be the same or under the cost of buying a SIM card where we are going, with the added bonus that we can test everything out here and not waste time finding a SIM card abroad and getting it to work (something that almost always seems to take way longer than it should).

So has anyone tried this 1 month and cancel ploy just for traveling? There don't seem to be any cancellation fees for Fi, but maybe there is some other penalty Google manages to impose that I'm not aware of?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I did a 1 month trial of the service and keep it for international travel because I liked the service and flexibility to start & stop when I travel. There are no fees to stop or start the service.

Two additional points:
-Be sure to also get a data only sim when you order as you can pop it into a tablet, other phone or other data device and use the data service for yourself to also have access to some services such as Uber, Maps, email....
-Does the Pixel, via Verizon, come unlocked?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.