Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I have had mostly good experience with the Pixel. I did have a bit of a shock the other day while on Delta's Gogo. Phone was in airplane mode and I was reading emails when my phone rang. I rejected the call but the voip definitely worked.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I've been traveling around AsiaPac for a while with my Pixel and Fi. It's fantastic. Much better than T-mo with usable speeds just like when I was in the States. Finally a global option for us road warriors.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Explorist, DL Silver
Signed up for a Nexus 6P for some travel taking place next month. Took it on a domestic trip last week to test it out. Powered up when landing for a layover in PHX.

Where it promptly welcomed me to China. LOL. Went back into airplane mode for a minute, turned it off, and it got my location right. Thought it was funny.

So far domestically, it's working okay. Can't wait to try it out in 3 weeks overseas.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I've been traveling around AsiaPac for a while with my Pixel and Fi. It's fantastic. Much better than T-mo with usable speeds just like when I was in the States. Finally a global option for us road warriors.
This. Best thing Evah. I've loved landing in UK, Germany, India, Chile, Canada, Qatar, UAE and others this year and having full blast LTE instantly.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
ever since the speed bump to LTE, I've more or less stopped procuring local SIMs upon arrival. In the last 2 months, I've had a great experience with Fi on my 5x (phone is only used for travel w/Fi) and the data-only SIM in a Huawei hotspot in China, Japan, Germany, and Taiwan.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:43 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by immaculate
ever since the speed bump to LTE, I've more or less stopped procuring local SIMs upon arrival. In the last 2 months, I've had a great experience with Fi on my 5x (phone is only used for travel w/Fi) and the data-only SIM in a Huawei hotspot in China, Japan, Germany, and Taiwan.
Can you talk a bit more about about your decision process between phone vs. hotspot? e.g. traveling with others and wanted to provide wifi to them but didn't want to tether off of phone, or...?

Asking because I had a shorter trip where I let companions tether off my 6P but have an upcoming longer trip and was debating getting a hotspot (which model of Huawei do you have?). Or, since it's a longer trip, hotspot + local tourist SIM with unlimited data might work out cheaper for 2+ people than $10/GB.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Zorak
Can you talk a bit more about about your decision process between phone vs. hotspot? e.g. traveling with others and wanted to provide wifi to them but didn't want to tether off of phone, or...?

Asking because I had a shorter trip where I let companions tether off my 6P but have an upcoming longer trip and was debating getting a hotspot (which model of Huawei do you have?). Or, since it's a longer trip, hotspot + local tourist SIM with unlimited data might work out cheaper for 2+ people than $10/GB.
Sure thing. I wound up getting the hotspot because battery life while tethering on the 5x isn't very good. I was concerned I'd run out of power at an inopportune time (e.g. trying to find my way back to a hotel). Carrying a spare battery for the hotspot is easy and frees up the 5x for things like Google Maps, which works a lot better with WiFi + cell vs just WiFi.

And, you guessed the other reason. On certain trips, a local data SIM w/unlimited winds up being cheaper when I'm travelling with others. I'm pretty good about not feeling the urge to go on Facebook or doing other data-intensive tasks, but that's just me I'm using the Huawei E5377 and am happy with it ^
Old Jan 20, 2017, 2:12 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Cool, thanks for the input!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
+1, used it smoothly in Hong Kong, Taiwan and Okinawa with good data speed. I have TMo as well, but, at best 2G speed in the Asia. Ordered a data only sim to explore more.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:27 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
I got stuck in the Note7 disaster and converted to the Pixel XL. In the process, I changed from Verizon to Fi.

Here's my report:
- Note7 was better than the Pixel XL. THAT was a great phone ...
- Service in La Jolla under Fi is *much* better than Verizon.
- For international travel, Fi is much, much cheaper. My bill is now about 20% of what I was paying Verizon.
- I've had service in all the countries I have visited, but sometimes the data rate is poor. Here is the list:
India Hyderabad (poor)
Mexico Cancun (poor)
HK (good)
Bangkok (good)
Tokyo (good)

Very happy and not going back anytime soon ...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Out of curiosity do you know the data strength in Hyderabad and/or Cancun from previous experience?

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
I got stuck in the Note7 disaster and converted to the Pixel XL. In the process, I changed from Verizon to Fi.

Here's my report:
- Note7 was better than the Pixel XL. THAT was a great phone ...
- Service in La Jolla under Fi is *much* better than Verizon.
- For international travel, Fi is much, much cheaper. My bill is now about 20% of what I was paying Verizon.
- I've had service in all the countries I have visited, but sometimes the data rate is poor. Here is the list:
India Hyderabad (poor)
Mexico Cancun (poor)
HK (good)
Bangkok (good)
Tokyo (good)

Very happy and not going back anytime soon ...
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:50 pm
Suspended

I was in the USVI last month, specifically St Croix. Fi was unusable most of the time. Really annoyed.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Out of curiosity do you know the data strength in Hyderabad and/or Cancun from previous experience?
The signal was strong in both places but the data rate was, at best, slower than 3G. You aren't going to watch any videos but you could navigate.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Service in La Jolla under Fi is *much* better than Verizon.
I'm currently running Fi on my development phone (Nexus 5X) and I've noticed that here in SD, it's almost always on T-Mobile. That's probably for the best though because Sprint isn't all that good here. Haven't tried to use Fi elsewhere yet.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
There is a spreadsheet with speeds that may help... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...hVU/edit#gid=0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.