Reload this Page >

iphone 6 discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

iphone 6 discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2014, 6:43 pm

Who has flown with the 6 plus so far? Any regrets on getting the plus? I am thinking though some of the usability like mobile boarding passes, handling the phone while juggling a laptop case, a suitcase, coffee, breakfast..you know the stuff we have to deal with lately. Do you think you will be likely to drop it more?

What about working out with it, shorts pockets tend to be smaller than pants pockets.

Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2014, 8:06 pm

jmgriffin - HowardForums mentions you can put an activated Verizon LTE SIM into a new non-Verzion iPhone 6/6 plus.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...4#post15596004
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by wco81
At the Apple online store, you can order the T-Mobile full price one and that presumably is unlocked?
If you buy it from Apple, yes.

-David
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: AA,United,HH Diamond
I paid well over retail for my 6+ but honestly i dont care. This is the best phone ive every owned. The low light pics im taking now are breath taking.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by jmgriffin
I spent the better part of the past 2 weeks researching the best way to upgrade to an iPhone 6. I'm U.S. based and wanted the ability to swap in a foreign SIM when traveling abroad but also wanted to know the cheapest way to purchase the iPhone 6 as soon as possible. I ended up compiling all of the data that I found to try and make an easy to use guide for others considering an upgrade.

Thanks for the summary; I just spent the better part of the last two weeks owning a couple different iPhone 6s and here are a couple observations:

Besides the Spring iPhone; it really doesn't matter which phone you buy. Yep you heard me. I own both the ATT and Verizon version. And, I've used Verizon version on ATT and the ATT version on Verizon. Now, I couldn't get LTE to work on the ATT phone on Verizon, but I understand it is possible. I only had the SIM card in for about 5 minutes and didn't feel like fiddling. But, I had access to the 4G network and could place a call; just with a SIM swap.

ATT will unlock your phone if you buy it outright. It is possible. But, it's a little cumbersome because they will not sell it to you outright. They will sell it to you on an installment plan (aka NEXT) and then you have to pay it off in full as well as submit a request for unlocking. Technically your phone has to be outside the remorse period of 2 weeks; but they forgot to tell me that when I paid off my phone and they went ahead and unlocked it.

Verizon does indeed come SIM unlocked out of the box.

I was able to trade in some iPhone 4s to ATT ($200 credit; ended yesterday) and use the cards to pay off my iPhone 6.

FDW
Old Oct 1, 2014, 4:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
<snip>

ATT will unlock your phone if you buy it outright. It is possible. But, it's a little cumbersome because they will not sell it to you outright. They will sell it to you on an installment plan (aka NEXT) and then you have to pay it off in full as well as submit a request for unlocking. Technically your phone has to be outside the remorse period of 2 weeks; but they forgot to tell me that when I paid off my phone and they went ahead and unlocked it.
I'm utterly perplexed as to why someone would go to this hassle. Why would someone buy anything from AT&T rather than just buying from Apple directly?

So, rather than going through the somewhat cumbersome process you have outlined, I instead:

1) Ordered T-mobile unlocked phone from Apple directly (full price)
2) Opened said phone, inserted AT&T SIM
3) Done

Regards
Old Oct 1, 2014, 6:24 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm utterly perplexed as to why someone would go to this hassle. Why would someone buy anything from AT&T rather than just buying from Apple directly?

So, rather than going through the somewhat cumbersome process you have outlined, I instead:

1) Ordered T-mobile unlocked phone from Apple directly (full price)
2) Opened said phone, inserted AT&T SIM
3) Done

Regards
1) I traded in some iPhone 4s to ATT so I got $200 ATT credit for each phone. Apple was only offering like $67.50 or so
2) I walked into Bestbuy on launch day and was able to get the phone on NEXT immediately.
3) So after all my trade ins, I was net out of pocket just $150 + sales tax for a 64 GB.

So well worth it in my mind for the cumbersome process

Done

FDW
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Good to know that it worked. When I was researching that, I read that when people were trying to do the same thing with the 5s last year, it didn't work. AT&T was having technical difficulty trying to unlock the phone even after the NEXT plan was paid off. The online unlock request kept coming back saying they were not qualified for the unlock. And when calling, the customer support on phone couldn't do it either. Glad to know it works better now.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:30 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Need
Good to know that it worked. When I was researching that, I read that when people were trying to do the same thing with the 5s last year, it didn't work. AT&T was having technical difficulty trying to unlock the phone even after the NEXT plan was paid off. The online unlock request kept coming back saying they were not qualified for the unlock. And when calling, the customer support on phone couldn't do it either. Glad to know it works better now.
So it actually didn't work super smoothly to be honest... but it worked... The online request didn't work.. when I called in I had to have supervisor authorize the unlock because I was still within the 14 day return period; however that process took 24 hours..

FDW
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Be aware that AT&T allows up to 5 *requests* for unlocking per account per year.

I've got eight phones on my account. Problems ensue.

So I'm doing T-Mo unlocked phones from now on.

And when my contracts are all over, I'll likely jump ship.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Be aware that AT&T allows up to 5 *requests* for unlocking per account per year.

I've got eight phones on my account. Problems ensue.

So I'm doing T-Mo unlocked phones from now on.

And when my contracts are all over, I'll likely jump ship.
Well all the 6 Pluses are backordered anyway. I may just wait for the GSM SIM Free version from the Apple store. It should come out within a month.

BTW, if your phone is bent for whatever reason, don't expect Apple to replace it for free:

http://imgur.com/a/CSSfH
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Well all the 6 Pluses are backordered anyway. I may just wait for the GSM SIM Free version from the Apple store. It should come out within a month.

BTW, if your phone is bent for whatever reason, don't expect Apple to replace it for free:

http://imgur.com/a/CSSfH
Wait, is Apple going back on their promise to replace these? That's a big deal.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
Wait, is Apple going back on their promise to replace these? That's a big deal.
I don't think they made any promise? The problem for them is that they really cannot tell how the phone was bent. Was it from everyday use? Was it from everyday misuse? Or was it done on purpose?

If they flat out and say they would replace all bent phones, it would open up a flood gate. There will be hundreds or thousands of people trying to bend the phone just to see if they could do it.. and if it bent, get a new one!
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:26 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
They claimed after 6 days only 9 complaints have been lodged?

Maybe their frontline reps. denying free exchanges is limiting the formal complaints?

The guy threatening to publicize his case on social media, maybe he didn't pursue it further with any consumer affairs org.

Of course you know there will be a class action lawsuit.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
I don't think they made any promise? The problem for them is that they really cannot tell how the phone was bent. Was it from everyday use? Was it from everyday misuse? Or was it done on purpose?

If they flat out and say they would replace all bent phones, it would open up a flood gate. There will be hundreds or thousands of people trying to bend the phone just to see if they could do it.. and if it bent, get a new one!
Well they did sort of promise it, but now that I look more closely they were very careful with their wording, so that they won't actually have to replace any. Crafty Apple.

As Gizmodo showed, there is a very real problem with the stiffening braces and their placement inside the phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.