Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2014, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
Some of us that have only been AT&T customers for a short time also have it. It's still offered as a part of some corporate plans.
I'm delighted to hear that. It means that us old farts are probably safe with our plan if ATT is offering to some subset of its clients.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:48 am
whl
Original Poster

I correct my earlier statement .... the LTE international roaming works for those on AT&T grandfathered international unlimited data plan. I am currently in Samsung Land (Seoul) and I am getting LTE roaming.

Just prior to Seoul, I was in Singapore and I was also getting LTE roaming. I wasn't getting LTE roaming in Australia. I suspect it's because when AT&T launched the AT&T international roaming with Australia, I was already in Australia and maybe their system had already captured me under their non-LTE roaming agreement. I will be back in Australia in 1 to 2 months time and I'll see if it will work.

Japan and South Korea really have the fastest internet on the planet. I am in Conrad Seoul and I am getting about 70 to 90 Mbps download and upload speed in the Executive lounge. In the room, it's a bit "slower" at about 10 to 30 Mbps download and upload.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:29 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
ATT is surprisingly good about this. When I moved from BB to an iPhone 5s, ATT let me keep the unlimited international data plan I had for the BB. Same price and no surprises.

I've not seen LTE in Asia. Maybe in Europe, but I'm not sure.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by whl
I correct my earlier statement .... the LTE international roaming works for those on AT&T grandfathered international unlimited data plan. I am currently in Samsung Land (Seoul) and I am getting LTE roaming.

Just prior to Seoul, I was in Singapore and I was also getting LTE roaming. I wasn't getting LTE roaming in Australia. I suspect it's because when AT&T launched the AT&T international roaming with Australia, I was already in Australia and maybe their system had already captured me under their non-LTE roaming agreement. I will be back in Australia in 1 to 2 months time and I'll see if it will work.

Japan and South Korea really have the fastest internet on the planet. I am in Conrad Seoul and I am getting about 70 to 90 Mbps download and upload speed in the Executive lounge. In the room, it's a bit "slower" at about 10 to 30 Mbps download and upload.
I am delighted to see it. ATT has to be conflicted on these accounts. They are high dollar accounts that they probably don't want to lose but they have to be scared about the potential for abuse. For me LTE roaming means good quality VOIP Over 4g which is huge. For all other purposes HSPA was actually serving my needs (and it wasn't bad with VOIP).

While not particularly exotic, I'm getting LTE on Rogers in Canada. Bell/Telus are still HSPA.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 8:44 pm
whl
Original Poster

I am back in Australia and LTE roaming does not work when I manually selected Telstra which has LTE roaming agreement with AT&T. I am right in the CBD area and there is LTE coverage.

Telstra uses LTE bands 3 and 8 in Australia. The phone I have is an international unlock with bands 3 and 8 but somehow it just doesn't work in Australia although it worked in Singapore and Seoul which uses bands 3 and 7.

Weird.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Band 8 isn't commercial.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 4:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm in Thailand and I can't get 4G. I used to be able to roam on carriers DTAC, AIS, and True. As of now, only DTAC 2G and 3G works. My phones see the available 4G networks, but when I try to connect, no signal, or only phone signal, no data.

I checked on AT&T site and it says LTE roaming in Thailand via TRUE.

I can't even roam on 3G with TRUE anymore!

Sad face.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 5:07 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by BenA
Some customers - those of us who've been with AT&T for a Really Long Time (tm) - actually have an unlimited international data plan, distinct from unlimited domestic data. It may have only been originally offered to customers associated with certain corporate accounts - not sure. What I do know is I've had mine for years and years and years, and while it's a little pricey (especially in the months when I don't use the roaming feature), the convenience makes it such that I'm probably the only AT&T customer to ever ask for the maximum possible contract length extension every time I upgrade
Out of curiosity - when you upgrade do you do this in store/over phone/online?

I have the same plan but haven't used any upgrades in a few years preferring to buy unlocked international devices instead of waiting for them to be released on ATT.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by ninjastar
Out of curiosity - when you upgrade do you do this in store/over phone/online?

I have the same plan but haven't used any upgrades in a few years preferring to buy unlocked international devices instead of waiting for them to be released on ATT.
If I was on Android, I'd be sorely tempted to take that path. One Plus One has got my attention. On iOS, I don't see the point. The phone is offered quickly with ATT, doesn't have bloatware and unlocked is a secondary concern. My voice calls are made on my roaming SIM. I use Line2 as my "mobile phone" so I have a global and in air texting.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:37 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
Goodbye my friend. I'll miss you.
With corporate travel budgets cut to nothing, 15k YTD EQM, no trips between here and new years, a budding career in local residential real estate, etc. I needed to bury my grandfather today.

In exchange I receive a free (not subsidized $299) NEXT iPhone 664 (slipped into the corporate plan for the same monthly payment), a $365 Amazon Gift Card for my 5s64, yearly upgrades, no activation fees, relatively unlimited data, calling and texting. (I do not stream video so 10GB share between 2 lines is a ton of data)

Thanks grandpa. You served me well. I'll love you forever but it seemed like it was time to say goodbye. ;(

I'm sad. I'll be sad until the 19th, and then not sad until my next "personal" trip when I need to buy data. Biz travel can still bill to company.

Cheers,

Scho
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by schoflyer
Goodbye my friend. I'll miss you.
With corporate travel budgets cut to nothing, 15k YTD EQM, no trips between here and new years, a budding career in local residential real estate, etc. I needed to bury my grandfather today.

In exchange I receive a free (not subsidized $299) NEXT iPhone 664 (slipped into the corporate plan for the same monthly payment), a $365 Amazon Gift Card for my 5s64, yearly upgrades, no activation fees, relatively unlimited data, calling and texting. (I do not stream video so 10GB share between 2 lines is a ton of data)

Thanks grandpa. You served me well. I'll love you forever but it seemed like it was time to say goodbye. ;(

I'm sad. I'll be sad until the 19th, and then not sad until my next "personal" trip when I need to buy data. Biz travel can still bill to company.

Cheers,

Scho
I hear you and think about dropping the plan for me (but not my wife). Because I live with in spitting distance of the Canadian border and am across 6 times a month, I've been keeping it, but questioning it with TMobile's offering. My cell phone bill is over $300 with ATT and I could bring it down to $75 a month with two biz plan phones from TMobile.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:05 pm

Location: Atlanta is home, but 2 weeks a month in Europe, South America, and Asia
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, ATT Unlimited Worldwide LTE, Global Entry, Petsmart Dog Dad
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I am delighted to see it. ATT has to be conflicted on these accounts. They are high dollar accounts that they probably don't want to lose but they have to be scared about the potential for abuse. For me LTE roaming means good quality VOIP Over 4g which is huge. For all other purposes HSPA was actually serving my needs (and it wasn't bad with VOIP).
Hey Stu-

Long time- good to see the usual suspects here still with their grandfathered ATT Unlimited World Data!

I'm sure ATT may be conflicted on these as you say, but I also have to say I think the reason these plans have survived is that most of us with it are pretty careful to avoid any abuse. I try to keep my data use very reasonable, and I never do stuff like Streaming video, etc when roaming abroad. Though the temptation is great- did you ever notice that regardless of where in the world you are when roaming with this plan, you are always drawing a US IP address. So services like Netflix etc. all would work fine. But again, I just don't do it. The occasional VOIP call yes, but nothing significant.

Speaking of LTE, I was getting roaming LTE recently on trips to London, Paris, and Amsterdam. Very nice!

Kupe
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
I only have a plan with grandfathered unlimited domestic data, but I was able to purchase international data and use LTE in places like London and Paris.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by kupe
Hey Stu-

Long time- good to see the usual suspects here still with their grandfathered ATT Unlimited World Data!

I'm sure ATT may be conflicted on these as you say, but I also have to say I think the reason these plans have survived is that most of us with it are pretty careful to avoid any abuse. I try to keep my data use very reasonable, and I never do stuff like Streaming video, etc when roaming abroad. Though the temptation is great- did you ever notice that regardless of where in the world you are when roaming with this plan, you are always drawing a US IP address. So services like Netflix etc. all would work fine. But again, I just don't do it. The occasional VOIP call yes, but nothing significant.

Speaking of LTE, I was getting roaming LTE recently on trips to London, Paris, and Amsterdam. Very nice!

Kupe
That's how international data roaming works, you always get an IP from your home carrier. A lot of people use international roaming to bypass local censorship. For example using a foreign phone in China will give you access to the same internet you would in other countries, no censorship.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:45 pm
whl
Original Poster

I have been to the following countries in the last 4 months and confirmed that 4G LTE works:

- Kuala Lumpur
- Singapore
- Hong Kong
- Seoul
- Tokyo
- Barcelona

Although Australia has LTE roaming with AT&T, I could not get it to work in Brisbane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.